arbour for stacked dado

I am considering having a longer arbour made for my newly aquired Wadkin 10" sawbench, to enable use of a stacked dado cutter. Here in the UK, bench saws are not generally available with long enough arbours to accept these. I have noticed that on saws that have long enough arbours to accept dado cutters, the arbour has a long thread and a relatively short unthreaded shoulder, which means that part of the dado is sitting on the threaded part of the arbour. This strikes me as being inferior to having a wide unthreaded shoulder, to accomadate all of the dado, then use spacers to tighten up when using a normal sawblade or narrow dado setup. Any advice ,comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy Tightgit

My saw's arbor is pretty much threaded the whole length. I've never had a problem with it. The 5/8" arbor on the blades fit it really snugly. Can be a pit of a pain to get the blades on/off. I dont have nay trouble with accuracy etc when using any kind of blade, normal or stacked dado. Having to add spacers would be a bigger hassle in my opinion.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- GMC R1200 1/2" Router

- LRH Magic Molder

- Triton Router Review Update!