aquarium stand

A ladder works... I'm a little leary about storing much up there. Its only 2x4 trusses. So for now I just toss bits and pieces of left over mouldings and such up there.

Larry

Reply to
Bubba Wood

Amazingly enough, my shop has absolutely no clutter at all right now. I just finished completely re-arranging everything over the weekend and now I stand there and wonder where all the room came from!

Gotta buy more tools! ;)

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Funny thing - mine as well. I got fed up with things and instead of working on the wife's ottoman, I tackled the garage. Two days later I can't believe all the space I found - not to mention a few tools. Won't last long though, best intentions be damned.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

what I did was go to pets mart and a couple other places and looked inside the stands they were selling.

Mostly they consist of a 1x frame maybe and 3/4 plywood put together with pocket hole screws. Most aquarium users recommend marine plywood if you can get it. Most of the support is in the plywood and the frame holds the plywood in place. Just make sure the plywood is under the edge of the tank.

The hardest thing I had was starting out with no tools. I figured I could buy the tools build the stand for just a little more than buying from the store and besides having a better looking stand I'd have the tools. 3 stands later I was definitly ahead of the curve on cost.

I just wish all my other projects could save me m> looking for plans for an aquarium stand 55 gal.

Reply to
william kossack

Same here. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for my plumbing snake and couldn't find it anywhere so I bought another one. Then I pulled my tablesaw out to vaccuum behind it and... surprise surprise. Now I have two snakes.

I've really been pushing myself to keep things organized and so far, I'm doing a good job. The nicest thing about re-arranging the tool storage is it gives you a reason to think about all those tools you wanted to get, but never got around to. I've left spots specifically for the things I mean to get, and now I've got a reason to go shopping because I don't like empty spaces. ;)

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Reply to
Doug Brown

Quite true. I have a 110 gallon tank sitting on a base that is only 1.5" tall. The top of the tank is about table height. At that height, I don't have to stand on anything for maintenance and it doesn't unduly block the window it is in front of.

Reply to
CW

Not only that, but you have to consider what kind of tank you're building the stand for. A marine tank is going to require different equipment than a fresh water tank. A marine tank requires a lot more filtration, different lighting, etc. and all of that has to go somewhere.

Reply to
Brian Henderson