April Fools Day product, maybe????

I saw this on Tool Nut and went to Festoolusa to see if there was some corr oboration. Maybe it's real, maybe not, but it was still fun to see. Marc
linkage:
http://festoolusa.com/power-tools/hepa-dust-extractors/dust-extractor-ct-sy s-584174
pastage:
Dust Extractor CT SYS - 584174
Portable and compact, yet loaded with features such as Full Unit HEPA Certi fication, tool-triggered operation, high-performance suction, and Systainer integration. The CT SYS is ideal for remodelers and painters who need the utmost in portability, yet without compromise in function. Self-contained h ose and cord storage, onboard tools, manual and automatic function, shoulde r strap, anti-static design, system integration, and low sound (67 dB(A)), the CT SYS is well-equipped and built for professional use. The CT SYS Syst em is small in size, BIG in performance.
*Mobile and Portable: Integrated to stack and pack with Systainers the CT S YS can be easily carried by the handle or provided configurable shoulder st rap. *Assurance: Full Unit HEPA Certification, full-sized performance, compact a nd lightweight size, and system integration, all backed by our exclusive Se rvice All-Inclusive that includes a 3-year warranty *Versatile: The CT SYS is your partner for tackling the smaller and tedious tasks while providing tool-triggered activation for use with power tools y et fully equipped for clean-up tasks with on-board
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pt250&cat=1,43000,51208
wrote:

--- ---
On 4/1/2016 7:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

I wait every year, like a kid at Christmas, for this day just to see what the hell Robin comes up with this time.
Be nice if he'd stick his head in here on occasion like he used to ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

That'd be my guess.
BUT! .....(and I'd forgotten this one) it's essentially a "drill press" and can be easily brought to the work.
Seriously, whenever we couldn't mount a mag drill base, we'd use one of these pieces of junk (all metal, back then):
http://tinyurl.com/zkv3mcj
Not exactly a Bridgeport, but capable of keeping a holesaw ina hand drill motor from breaking yer wrist. ;)
nb
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote in

This was good, but I think it'd be funnier if they turned it around. A motor tool attachment to beat eggs.
Puckdropper
On 2016-04-01, Puckdropper <puckdropper> wrote:

Sounds like the origins of the Skilsaw:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skil#History
nb
On 4/1/2016 8:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

Wish I knew why I no longer get the April Fools product email from Lee Valley.
Thanks for putting the link up.
--
Jeff

If that is a April Fool's joke, it's a disappointing one. That could be a very useful tool, especially for areas that tend to have long linear work areas, like the track on a model railroad. A long hose is nice, but you have to really watch it as it will damage other things on the layout as it goes along.
IIRC, 67 dB(A) compares to something along the lines of a normal conversation voice volume? Not bad at all.
Puckdropper
But, this is real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n46ryFZaLuE&feature=youtu.be&rel=0

;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I hope those "robots" are not the same one's that send me recorded calls from my own phone number. 8|
nb
On 4/1/2016 6:59 AM, marc rosen wrote:

It is real and available right now for $375.
https://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool-584174-CT-SYS-Mobile-Dust-Extractor-p/584174.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwuPi3BRClk8TyyMLloxgSJAAC0XsjadzuJPjT7xyUVGKGwcWSzNoBx62-g_4-KnlXRIX2YxoCrxbw_wcB

or-p/584174.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwuPi3BRClk8TyyMLloxgSJAAC0XsjadzuJPjT7xyUVGK GwcWSzNoBx62-g_4-KnlXRIX2YxoCrxbw_wcB
Hi Leon, I know it's real but my initial impression was "it's a joke" because of the day it was unveiled and the numerous comments I've seen about what can be stuffed into a systainer. It looks good but my only criticism is based on comments from a my local Festool seller - he (Brian) got to demo one last week but didn't tell me about it, curse him - who said that there is no met hod to reduce the suction and it causes the ETS125 to work harder when sand ing. Brian told me he expects his shipments to arrive mid April. It looks like a great clean up device and it sure is a lot less bulky than a CT. I'm also a Festool user and this may make its way into the stockpile of sys tainers in my wokshop unless my wife finds it more useful somewhere in the house. Keep making wood dust, read you later, Marc
On 4/2/2016 8:34 AM, marc rosen wrote:

On 4/2/2016 8:34 AM, marc rosen wrote:

Suction would be an issue ESPECUALLY when sanding unless the sander is not completely covering the surface. The sanders, when completely covering the paper, not only make the sander work harder but make the user work harder. I will say that the CFM appears to be 80% of the ones that roll around on wheels.
In a pinch one could drill holes in the hose coupling to create an air leak and then tape over the holes when you wanted full suction.
AND that thing holds just over 1 gal so IMHO it would be more of a back up unit to the ones that have wheels. Those hold 2.5 to 9.5 gallons.
I think this ones only advantage is that it would be easier to move up and down stairs.

Or install a ball valve of some sort.
Puckdropper

More Systainers isn't a good idea. My wife just counts them and multiplies by a big number to see what I'm up to. She knows what green means. ;-)
I was in Woodcraft today... Cashier to guy in front of me: "That'll be $378.somethingsomething." Woman behind me to guy in front: "By the price, I knew that was you checking out. Cashier: "If I'd known she was here, I would have whispered." Man in front: "Don't worry about it. She'll reimburse me later." Woman: "As if that's ever going to happen!"
Me: "I feel like I'm at home."
;-)