Applying wax

Page 2 of 2

CW wrote:

Guess you got it, then.... :)
On 11 Jul 2005 16:54:08 -0700, "Tattooed and Dusty"

Always a brush. Fairly stiff, so it buffs out well. Not a rag, as that pulls tight over the edges and rub the wax off (if not the oil and the shape of the corner too).
I also use rotary plastic "wire brushes" in a small corded drill. These are nominally abrasive (grit filled plastic) and are what I use to polish copper, they'll even brush-finish steel. On wood though, they have no visible effect at all, they're just a good wax burnisher.
Minimal wax over plain oak and very heavy power brushing http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/ark /
Oil and wax, with lots of fine sanding and hand-polishing between coats. http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/purple_peril /
On 11 Jul 2005 16:54:08 -0700, "Tattooed and Dusty"

I like to put a lump of wax onto a square of T-shirt material (always white) and fold it, allowing the wax to exude through the material, so as to apply thin controlled coats.
There are those who like to glob it on and take off the excess, but my take on a wax finish is that it is best applied in thin coats and rubbed in, in stages, so as to control the look of the color and reflectivity.