Applying veneer over solid wood

Hi

Just wanted to know whether you can apply veneer over solid hardwood, such as maple veneer over butternut. If so what type of adhesive would be the best. I will be using a shellac sealer and lacquer finish

Thanks in advance

Peter

Reply to
pete

Should be OK as long as the grain of both goes in the same direction. ____________

How big? If big, contact cement works. If smaller - small enough to clamp - any woodworking glue...hide, yellow, urea formaldehyde...

Reply to
dadiOH

Be certain to completely seal the wood bottom and edges. If the bottom board expands at a different rate than the veneere.......

Reply to
Leon

It is recommended practice to veneer both sides, to deal with the problem Leon touches on. As for glue, how traditional do you want to get? Hide glue but pva will work fine. Don't get the veneer too wet or it will buckle. Need to work out a way of applying pressure over the whole work area.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

If you veneer one side, you need to veneer the other side also with the same wood or one with similar movement characteristics or the board will tend to warp.

Preston

Reply to
Preston

pete wrote: : Hi

: Just wanted to know whether you can apply veneer over solid hardwood, : such as maple veneer over butternut. If so what type of adhesive would : be the best. I will be using a shellac sealer and lacquer finish

You can -- this is how all veneered work was done prior to the development of manmade sheetgoods in the early 20th century, but... why would you want to? MDF and plywood are cheaper, more stable, and flatter, than butternut or any other solid wood.

As for glue, use anything other than the contact cement recommnded elsewhere in this thread. The traditional one is hide glue. Yellow glue works okay, and resorcinol glue is better.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Snip

As an aside, why not use contact cement? Admittedly, I've only used it once, but it worked pretty well for me the one time. Is it a personal preference, or does contact cement not perform as well under certain circumstances?

Just curious.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM