Applying Pie Shaped wedges of veneer

Several years ago I used veneer cut into pie shaped wedges to form a circle on a table top. I believe I used hide glue as getting the pieces just right involved a lot of friggin and I needed a fair amount of working/open time. Obviously contact cement will not serve my needs. Does anyone have any suggestions other than hide glue? Thanks, JG

Reply to
JGS

I haven't done this mind you, but I believe what you want is to build your veneer circle using veneer tape on the back side of the wedges. Then glue the whole thing down, preferably using a vacuum press. Sounds like fun, let us know how it comes out.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pounds

I've done some marquetry and furniture with veneer. The sunburst pattern that was described is best done by assembling it with veneer tape. If you don't have access to a vacuum press you can iron it on as described. I've found that two coats of yellow carpenter's glue works best. Let it dry until it is dry to touch but don't wait more than a day or day and a half. So I guess I'm saying several hours (it's not critical). Use the iron on max. Dampen the tape after a day or so (so the glue will be set firmly) and carefully lift and scrape the tape off. Once the paper is off you can use a sharp cabinet scraper to get the glue off. I've also seen people use masking tape. As always I'd recommend trying this on scrap first to ensure you know how to do it. I couple of pieces of scrap veneer and a piece of good plywood for a base will do for a test. Make sure there's a joint in the veneer to get the scraping down pat over the joint.

Mike >

Reply to
Michael S. Dameron, Major, USA