applying face frame to out of square piece?

I've just finished my third woodworking project ever and it, uh, didn't turn out so perfect. It's a simple chest made of out high quality 3/4" ply. Plans for it can be seen at

although I've strayed a bit from the original design by adding sliding doors.

The problem is that the carcass is less than square. It is about 1/16" off across its length. I know, that's pretty god awful, but I'm not gonna scrap what has been an otherwise successful project for that. I'm wondering if there is a way to apply the face frame in such a way that will not accentuate the fact that the piece is out of square. Currently the only visual indication that the piece might not be at 90 degrees is the uneven space where the sides of the carcass meet the sliding doors.

Thanks for any feedback

Reply to
Mitch Abaza

[...]

George M. Kazaka

Mitch, you are falling into the common trap of thinking that your projects must be perfect. I always like to use the specs cited by audio equipment compaines as an example of this. Take for example the "total harmonic distortion (THD)" spec. THD is only audible to the human ear at levels above .2%. But the manufacturers constantly boast levels of .02 or even .002% as if this makes their equipment sound better. It has no meaning. By the same token, your slight out of square condition has little or no effect on your project. A 1/16" out of square condition is not a major problem even on a small case. Simply trim your sliding doors to fit the case. The slight out of square condition will never be noticed. Don't let your enjoyment of woodworking or your pride in your work be ruined by such a small "flaw" DD

"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines

Reply to
David DeCristoforo

I can't get the link to work, so I can't see the plans and don;t know how the sliding doors will work in relation to a face frame. But, if it was me, I'd trim the sliding door(s) to match the sides, and make the face-frame square to cover the out-of-square case.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

If mine are out 1/16 over the length I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

The builder always sees what others don't notice.

Reply to
Mark

This is the link:

John wardle

Mitch,

1/16" off is not that bad in my opinion. What I would do is make the face frame 1/4" oversized so that it over-hangs the outer edge of your cabinet by 1/8" all the way around. Attach the face frame with it hanging over the cabinet a small bit, then trim it off with a flush-trim bit & router. They even make special bits that put a v-groove at the seem between the carcass & face-frame if you'd like that effect. Make sense?
Reply to
Michael Dembroge