apple wood

I just finished making a couple of small objects out of apple, and it is really nifty stuff. Beautiful color, and the wood polishes by itself. Anyway, I have an apple I was going to cut for firewood, but part of the trunk is quite straight (i.e., you could saw it). However, there is noticeable spiral grain, probably because the tree leaned for most of its life. Would it be hopeless to try to cut boards out of it? My suspicion is that the boards would come off the saw like potato chips. What do you all think?
It smells good too. I have turned apple but have not done any other woodwork with it. It turns well and some of the stock near the roots and crotches can be quite pretty. I suspect it is a little soft for some woodworking projects other than decorative.
After saying that it is probably blasphemous to suggest that it makes good firewood. It lights easily, burns kind of fast but leaves a great aroma.

Think barbecue, smoked ribs or chicken, bacon, etc.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

It makes GREAT smoking wood (cf "firewood") too.
And applewood is well known for use as the backs (fronts?) for fiddles.
My counsel:
1. Keep the trunk, dry it out, hope for the best. What you got to lose?
2. Dry out the branches, &tc. Cut them into "chunks" and use them to bbq (check out the barbeque newsgroup, they'll know what to do, eh' Edwin?).
-Zz

I would expect the boards to twist. If I remember my reading right, one way to put it is that the grain lines try to straighten themselves out. That's one reason quartersawn wood is stable; the lines of the grain are pretty straight to begin with.
But I bet you could minimize it by drying it with a lot of weight on it so it didn't have a chance to twist, and by cutting it thick enough that you could flatten it without making it paper thin. And by cutting it into shorter boards.
I'd go for it, just to see what happened. :-)

Do be careful to wax or paint the ends, apple tends to check when dried.
scott

Apple starts to check pretty much the moment it's cut, and it twists like a greased squid on glass.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Is that a Dan Ratherism?
Squid - I can visualize that. Greased - also familiar. Everyone knows what glass looks like.
Greased squid on glass?
I have a head ache.
But back to apple wood - makes great carver's mallets and probably nice handles for chisels and turning tools.
Definitely keep it, burn the scraps, but keep it.
charlie b
you people read too much and carve too little. It will be a revelation for each of you to see how few tools you need when you actually get down and do this stuff every day. Stay IN your shop and OUT of the magazines

There are many ways to be a woodworker. Some people focus on the tool collection side of things and are perfectly happy. Others talk about how much money they make, how many hours a day they cut wood, and give advice about the correct way to be a woodworker...
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:40:44 -0700, "Frank Drackman"

Bite me, you arrogant pedant.

Are you promoting illiteracy??
If you are in southeastern Michigan I will come and get it for carp smoking wood. I have made chisel handles out of apple many years ago, but I bust up so many now that I just fit manufactured file handles on them now and am able to get to work so much faster