Apparently It Pays To Specialize

Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles. But Gods above, I'd feel ahamed of myself, asking a price like that for something lke that. I know for sure I wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near that much fo one myself.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Of course, but building them is knowledge and skill you might have that someone else does not have, or just isn't interested in acquiring. I felt the same way at first when my name was recommended to a local actor who wants his website updated. It was originally done by a former girlfriend and was so poorly done that I felt a little guilty quoting him a price to fix it up for him. Then I saw all the little money making schemes he was involved in and the profit he was making from them that any guilt I had vaporized. So, I'll be happy to take his money and I'll do a good job for him. It's all relative.

Reply to
Upscale

Absolutely - when you say the word 'wedding' I'm convinced the price jumps, for identical goods or services. If you're just having a "party" catered, and not a "reception", your food, decorations, and entertainment would be cheaper. So why not wooden containers, furniture, etc? Of course, then everything would have to be painted white. I couldn't paint over nice wood, and you'd have to switch from yellow. Oh, well. Andy

Reply to
Andy

When I got married in 2002 I wanted to make our own favors. Partly because of the challenge, but mainly because I wanted it to be unique and I wanted to contribute. I saw some aluminum containers with glass lids in a wedding magazine my soon-to-be-wife showed me, and I determined that I was going to get some for the party favors. I went to the magazine's website and they wanted $15 for 8 of them. Thinking that was a bit much for what I was getting I did some hunting, and found the exact same things for sale at a hardware store site for less than $6 a dozen. There was enough money left over to buy some glass etching cream and I cut out nautical vinyl shapes and etched them into the tops. We filled those suckers up with Easter M&Ms (because they're pastel) and for less than $100 we had enough party favors for all our guests to have one, and we had a dozen or so to spare for my toolbox. :-)

I despise the wedding racket. It's worse than the baby racket. If I have a daughter I don't know what I'm going to do.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 8:57am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Andy) doth sayeth: Of course, then everything would have to be painted white. I couldn't paint over nice wood, and you'd have to switch from yellow. Oh, well.

Oh, none of ths is a problem. Prime with yellow, paint with white. And, as far as painting nice wood, it's always stain pine, paint cherry. Right? I can live with that.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Well I did a wedding cake topper for my sister's wedding. A moon with a celtic knot pattern in it. Of course I didn't charge them for it. I did charge them for making me stain it "Deep Ocean" blue though. I still have 99.999% of the quart of stain if anyone would like to make something very blue.

I'm sure there's a market for wedding related stuff, it's just getting the contacts to find the clients if you were so inclined.

And ya know, I probably would charge more for a wedding. It's GOT to be done on time. That can mean making extra parts because if you screw up you don't have the luxury of backtracking. But if they gave me plenty of time to do it then I wouldn't charge more, but I'd charge more than for an "ordinary" rush order. I just did a jewelry box that was a wedding present from husband to bride. He gave me a whole two weeks notice. It was there the day before the wedding, shipped overnight. Nobody signed for it until the next week... Not my problem.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

What I want to know, why were you spending time on that website? (G)

Reply to
scott

Show her beau where you keep the ladder and encourage them to elope.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

countrywww.the-brights.net

I have actually known fathers that have offered the 20-30k they were going to spend on the wedding to the couple to use as a down payment on a house; and have them say no, rather have a wedding. Man, the foolishness of youth.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

jtpr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u2g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

And I have known fathers that simply said they wouldn't put up with that kind of extravagence, even if they could afford it.

But I am the father of sons, and the father-in-law of frugal daughters-in- law.

Thank goodness!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

When my daughter was going to get married, wrote a check for what I could afford, and suggested it be spent as they saw fit, but there was no more available.

Seemed to work.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I hear you Lew! Daughter and son-in-law married while finishing grad school - he a DDS and she a PhD in BioChem. They married over the hill and far away (Twin Cities) from both families.

We told our daughter we'd foot the bill for whatever they wanted. Had a nice ceremony at their alma mater in Northfield, MN and a reception at a grand mansion just down the street from St Paul's Cathedral in St Paul. Gorgeous place, great food, etc. They arranged everything, all we had to do was show up and write the checks. They were happy, all our friends that attended were raving about the venue, etc.

They did wonders on an unlimited budget. Cost us less than what I'd been asked to pay recently for my father's 90th birthday celebration at a local VFW hall. Photographer? Wedding shots (complete package), reception (also complete package) with 2 full sets of prints, adequate number of enlargements and.... Tadaaa! Complete set of negatives. $600! And they were great photos!

Bartender at the reception cost me $35 for four hours! Kids only wanted beer and wine (we purchased and mansion provided the service for the aforementioned $35 - no corkage fee.)

Great feeling to not only have a great celebration done right but on a budget imposed by the kids, not us. Makes you feel like or rather confirms that the parents dis something right.

Oh, and yeah, super gloat here. They are giving us our first grandchild this August, almost three years to the day after the wedding

Reply to
Say What?

Tried it with both daughters. Even offered cash in lieu of the wedding. Didn't work either time. I even wound up in costume - not a tux, a costume - for the second one (I made the web page, so I censored that picture).

Links for the brave:

John

Hmm, reminds me. Seeing as how I was born in Scotland, wife has ancestry and we are currently here, SWMBO has ordained that yours truly will bear his knees in a kilt should either of the daughters get hitched. Been 30 years since I last wore a kilt. Mind you I do have the legs for it...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 7:34pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (N=A0Hurst) I went to the magazine's website and they wanted $15 for 8 of them. for less than $100 we had enough party favors for all our guests to have one,

When my older son got married about 9 years bck, they have at least the wedding party money clips, engraved with each person's initial. I know it ddn't cost much, but it's USEFUL, and I still use it daily. ff I'd gotten something like one oftose tacky overpried woden banks, it'd either be tossed already, or stuck away womewhere, for sure not being used.

I kinda doubt those banks have even a dollar in materials, probably closer o fifty cens. If you dont oount time for glue and paint to dry, it probably doesn't take even 5 minute to cut nd assemble one. Hell, if I want commercial wooden banks I can find a lot more interesting banks that that, for about the same price. I've got to go over my figres again, found come cost cuts lately, but I figure at the max, my own banks hanks have probably no more ta $2.50 in materials, just now I'm thinking a price somwhere in the $12.50 to $20 range will make them worthwile producing. They'll take a bit longer to cut ut and assemble than those overpriced "wedding" banks, and to pant, but I kinda discount the painting because that's more relasing hen a chore. The only way I'd charg more than a top of $20 each is if I got orders fo a load of them - I don't "need" th money, altho extra is always nice, but I need full-time work even less.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 6:58pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@dontemailme.com (Leuf)doth sayeth: Well I did a wedding cake topper for my sister's wedding. A moon with a celtic knot pattern in it. Of course I didn't charge them for it. I did charge them for making me stain it "Deep Ocean" blue though. I still have 99.999% of the quart of stain if anyone would like to make something very blue. It was there the day before the wedding, shipped overnight. Nobody signed for it until the next week... Not my problem.

Yeah, that's a problem. Can't hardly charge a relative for something like that. In experimenting I found if you thin latex paint way down, maybe 75% water, it makes a decent stain. The nice part is you can make custom colors. I'm still trying it, but so far it's working out very nicely.

Reminds me of my ordering a jello jelly bean, and a jello egg mold, an easter ago for the grand-dau. They "promised" it would be here by easter. However. If you don't know it already you'll eventually find out, almost everthing has a however. They neglected to tell me they were sending it by UPS, instead of by mal. And, of course, I only gave them my post office box. So, it would actualy have been delivered in time for easter, IF they'd seen fit to get my street address. I finally found out what had been don'e, got ahold of UPS, and gave them my street address, and received it the next day. What is really stupid is, it would have cost less to mail the damn package, plus being faster.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jun 21, 2007, 2:35pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (scott) doth query thusly: What I want to know, why were you spending time on that website? (G)

Hard to believe, but this time I was actually googling for wooden banks. I was researching what types people out there are listing, and the prices they're asking. I say "asking", because some of that stuff looks like Made In Outer Mongolia crap, that's been imported in bulk, and vastly overpriced. Hmmm, that makes me wonder where those wedding banks were made. LMAO

Not that I have anyting against Outer Mongolia, or Inner Mongolia for that matterr, it's just that I don't think they have a very advanced manufacturing capability, of much of anyhing.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

As father of the groom at my sons wedding, I ended up in a kilt on a cold October day in Wisconsin.

First time. Not bad. I'm saving to buy a kilt in one of the family plaids. (I got stuck with a rented kilt belonging to an afflicted clan.)

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

My problem is I have a whole slew of possible tartans, none with much primacy. I might just line up the possibles and choose on colour.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby