APOLOGY TO GROUP

Page 2 of 3
Howard wrote:

Me too. I'm trying something different. I eat exactly the same stuff I always have, but I stop eating as soon as I'm no longer hungry, instead of eating until I'm full.
It has really helped. I got a new belt last year, and I'm in the last notch it has now. The *tightest* notch I mean. I might have to punch some new holes, though the way things are looking after all these nuts and SWMBO's cookies....
Charlie Self wrote:

Bell bottoms (FLARED LEG JEANS, DAD, YOU'RE SUCH A FOSSIL), um, bell bottoms are only in for girls this go round, Charlie.
Or maybe it's 'cause I only look at young wimminz when we're out shopping and stuff. That's possible. Still, I think I'm right about this.
I'm happy to say I'm only 2" bigger than I was in college. I've come down 2" this year. Two more to go, and I can be stylin' in my pleated, tapered chinos and pink plaid shirts with suspenders hanging down to my knees. OK, that was high school. Still.
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

... so, you were one of those kids I used to make fun of regarding inability to even complete dressing themselves, saying the education system was so bad, they couldn't even figure out how to make suspenders work.
Yeah, I'm not as old as Charlie, but not young enough to have thought dressing like hill folk was cool.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

Actually, I need to apologize to hill folk, they knew what suspenders are for and how to properly use them. :-)
Mark & Juanita wrote:

It was a stunner some years ago when the youngest wanted to borrow an old pair of suspenders to wear to school. Biggest stunner was seeing her go out of the house with one leg of the suspenders hanging loose.
But Mike is, what, 31? At 31, my waistline was the same as it was in college (didn't finish until I was 30, so that's cheating, but it was also the same as when I got out of Parris Island 12 years earlier). I didn't really have waistline problems until I quit smoking. Better the ever-growing belt than the rales.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

I know how you feel. I didn't change size after quitting smoking, or after quitting lifting, but when I wiped out my back it wasn't pretty. Oh well, she loves me anyway. %-) Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Forgot to mention the knee surgeries, 2 of which have come since I decided I didn't want to be the Marlboro Man.
Kind of takes the pleasure out of a lot of activities. Walking is difficult...I blew it out using a Stair Master anyway (on top of old damage from off-road-motorcycling).
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

Odd you should mention that. I was unhappy over what I figured was a stretched MCL in my right knee right up till this last blow out in my back, now I don't even notice it. It does take the fun out of things. I was big on biking and whitewater, along with hunting and fishing, but they're more pain than they're worth at the moment. I sure hope that changes. I've got a pace for Bass and cats that I want to show Rik. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Charlie Self wrote:

I'm not there yet, but I'm staring into a crystal ball. I don't know how I can escape that fate unless I quit driving. My right knee is getting quite painful. I hobble around like an old man. My right hip is none too peachy either. Right ankle too.
I still get around, but hiking up and down all the hills is starting to get uncomfortable. I have to walk halfway around the block and over a pedestrian bridge to get to the nature trail now, and by the time I reach the hump at the top of that bridge I feel like I've walked 10 miles.
I never considered the ergonomics of trucking. Evidently, never did any of the engineers who designed and built these damn things.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

That was my day in the sun, bayyyybe. I dressed as mentioned. Everybody was like "wow, who are you?" I even had a girl hanging on my arm for half the day.
Then everbody realized that even though I had convinced Mom to buy me some fashionable threads, I was still very much a dork. The spell was broken with a poof, and the clothes never worked again.
I guess if I had played that different, it could have been my big moment of transformation. Like in all those movies where the dork hangs out with the cool guy, then comes to school in new clothes, then a few minutes later he's banging the lead cheerleader's head into the wall while her Daddy is out bowling. :)
(Funny how as a father with one son and one daughter, I can relate to one side of this scene, and the other half of the scene throws me into a muderous rage...)
for me it's a baggy pair of track pants,old beat up addidas and a loose but tell-tale tee-shirt full of stain and varnish from past jobs. I don't care what I wear so long as my gear is covered,hate to think what it would feel like using paint thinners to clean up the little guy.

I resemble that re-"mark".My pink bib coveralls do go good with my blue polka dot hankerchief.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:03:17 -0330, "Dan Parrell"

Could be much worse, you could get hit in the nuts. Turn the wood around, you twit!
Sheesh, this is just like the guy who was tossing out half the nails when we were installing siding 'cause the heads were on the wrong end of the nail, without realising they were for the other side of the house.
Luigi Who should know better than to engage in repartee with a Newfoundlander after having lived in St.John's and losing every single battle of wits, but nevertheless cannot resist. Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address
Welcome to the Moron Bench, Dan. You have earned a distinguished place on it after smiting that mentally challenged end of an intestinal tract (tmJH) aka Homer. :-)
Thanks Luigi,hats off to you sir !
scribbled

Gary,
If you walked into a bar full of strangers, turned over an empty glass, introduced yourself as the hardest man in town and told the company that an un-named proportion of them are, in effect, jerks, then you'd expect a number to them to take a swing at you. You're old enough to know that :)
You'll find that on this ng - as in life - if you treat people with courtesy and good humour, you'll get it back (mostly). One thing I've found with the internet and email generally is that any negativity in your statements seems to be amplified. You can smile and call someone a silly bastard with affection in your voice and it goes over ok. But the same statement (even if the sentiment and intention were the same) would almost certainly cause grave offence in print without something else added to remove the sting.
If your apology is genuine, then I'm happy to accept it at face value.
If it's all a troll, well, it's a good 'un!
Cheers, and a Merry Xmas to you and yours.
Frank
PS - lose the handle, mate.

What...after 40 years of hacking wood and you're gonna let a little ole flamin chase ya off. Not a chance. With your gumption and balls to stand there and take it (as well as deliver a few good rounds in return), I think you'll fit in just fine.
Welcome to the wRECk and spin a yarn or two for us about what, where and how you did your woodworking.
Bob S.
That's right Bob,if you are good enough to stand on the soap box and give it, than you better take it when the Q&A's starts. There was only one "Expert" but they crucified and nailed him to his own handy work.

Water on a ducks back and all that stuff.... <grin>
I have a few tools from Harbor Freight. Cheap, yes, but I wasn't sure I wanted to fork out the big bucks on the higher priced tools right off the bat. Same way as I bought the cheap tools when I was learning to be a mechanic MANY years ago. I bought the cheap imported junk to get my feet wet. Once I had decided to make a career out of it, I replaced them all with SnapOn tools. Good quality, lifetime warranty and they wear very well. I am sure they will outlast me.
Back to the woodworking tools. Same deal. I have cheapo tools, some I use all the time, some not. Some I am planning to replace with better more expensive (and accurate) equipment. All in due time. Had I realized that I did not really enjoy woodworking, I would not have much $$$ in them so no great loss...plus I could sell them faster...
If that hurts someones toes....please come back and I'll be sure to have the waffle Eswing in hand next time...
Mark (one of them anyway)

I agree Mark. If it is a tool I will be using extensively, I buy the best one my wifes let me ;) Although I WANTED that $1,500 table saw, I started out with a Grizzly contractors saw which started out being much more accurate than I was and after 3 years I am just now getting to the point where I'm looking to upgrade (but still don't *need* to). With the money saved I got my shop set up with enough tools to allow me to make furniture nice enough that the wife is authorizing the better tools :)
Unfortunately, this isn't my only hobby and I have to spread the cash around for maximum toys (I plan on winning when I die)....

Ya can't let the grief get to you. Look at BAD.........hi Dave!!! Share your wisdom, and experience, and in just a short time you'll be giving it back with the best of them..........oh yeah......I might think about that handle though
Dave