APOLOGY TO GROUP

Page 1 of 3

I am sorry if my earlier statements offended anyone or ruffled anyone's feathers. I was offering an option for newcomers to the trade. I never claimed to be endorsing industrial grade products, just an inexpensive option for people to get started based on a recent purchase for my grandson that I was surprisingly satisfied with. Of course it is a rougher path when using less expensive tools, but the job can still get done if you do things carefully.
I will not bother with the rest of the series I was going to post here. I am obviously not welcome by the majority. I also apologize for those who were offended by my opening sarcastic crack about some of the regulars here. But it was only sarcasm, not meant to be an attack on the group as a whole, and you should all try to remember that you can not see a person's face or read his body language from a computer. I am not a very efficient communicator. I am up in years and I am getting out of touch with socializing.
Peace be with all of you for the holidays.
Expert Woodworker wrote:

Start with adding lots of smileys embedded in the text to enhance your sarcasm. Next I would change my username as the one you have, though maybe true, is a little agressive in this group. Stick around, even old experts can learn something from this group, as you've already found out about posting ettiquite.
Gary, one of the other Gary's
You've had your welcome by fire... Stick around and share some of the 40 years experience with us.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Apology accepted.
1) Now change your handle to something less pontificating like your real name. (Gary is it?) 2) Post some pics of your 40+ year woodworking career in A.B.P.W. (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking) 3) Start all opinion threads with "IMHO". (In My Humble Opinion) 4) Don't get offended when people don't agree with your "opinions". Most of the time we are only experienced with something from one facet when indeed there are many sides to any given situation.
This is really a good resource and I look forward to hearing some of your advice for the many questions around here. I know I have gotten excellent advice here and it always seems there is at least one person who will know an answer for any question. A good example for me was my cutting boards were all bowing up on the sides after I made them, without hesistation someone said quit laying them down on the counter. Laf! That is exactly what I was doing, now I stack then vertically hehe.
Have a great day! Rich

I followed the controversial thread that you started earlier. You claim to be an experienced woodworker and I respect that. As someone who has been using usenet since the mid eighties, my advice is to lurk lurk lurk and only decloak when you are comfortable with the banter. Answer specific questions that you are sure of. Once your name is known, you will be respected for your positions.
If you had lurked a while you would have learned that people here are big on buying quality tools out of the chute, buy once, cry once. Most inexperienced woodworkers (myself included) buy the cheapest tools they can find, then regret it when a better tool is not in the budget down the road. Having someone bill themselves as "Expert Woodworker" then inviting them to buy very poor quality tools is just too much for the old timers around here to take.
You are welcome to stay around and give us the benefit of your experience when we ask specific questions.
If you are just a troll, you will be killfiled anyway and quickly become irrelevant.
Montyhp

That's what you get for coming out with your air screw guns a blazing.I'm a newbie here and know enough not to judge anyone.There are talented guys out there with 5-15 yrs of experience that could put a 30-40yr veterans to shame.I think I would get much opinion from the masses before deciding myself what should a good starter kit consist of.The drill you speak of runs on 90 cfm,you would need a fair size compressor to operate that tool efficiently, otherwise you would cause a smaller compressor to cut in and out constantly,plus dragging a hose around. I think I would opt out and choose a cheezy cordlees rather that put up with the noise and baggage. I was looking forward to Part 2 "How to use a table saw" as i'm having problems sawing wood.When I approach the saw blade with a piece of lumber, the blade grabs it a flicks the wood across the room.I was going to try sawing from the other side of the table but was afraid that I may get hit in the face with a plank. Question: What do you suggest?

Dan Parrell wrote:

Excellent example. Expert woodworker, if you're there, do a fast search on Dan here. He's new to the group, came in with a good question, got a mild ration of s**t and has a place on the porch. I new he was a keeeper. <BSEG> Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Mark Hopkins wrote:

Mine does too. Why do women *do* that? Honey, I'm fine with the fashions I was wearing in college. Why do I need to put on this new stuff?
Silvan wrote:

of it?     j4
Silvan responds:

Hell, my wife would settle for my college styles...if I could get into them. Flares are back, but my 32" waistline isn't.
Charlie Self
"Charlie Self" ...

I tried on an old pair of jeans the other day and I managed to get into them! All I need do now is wait for fashion to dictate that the fly and button is left undone...
Greg
Groggy wrote:

That's why I wear a sweater.
Of course this only works in the winter.
UA100
UA100 writes:

Yeah, but the blinking sweater seems to add 30 pounds. I don't need 30 pounds. I tried getting into my old USMC class A green blouse a couple years ago. Yeah, right. One arm and then forget it. But hell, I only weighed about 185 when I wore that thing.
Charlie Self
scribbled

Works all year for me.
wear blue underwear and put a slit up the back of the jeans,"they will fit perfect,no one will even notice and that would be a good thing" Martha Stewart.

look at the advantages of having a 40'' waist line you can add an extra tool pouch to that belt for nails screws lunches

Dan Parrell notes:

It would be nice, but my waistline barely slowed up at 40".
Charlie Self
lmao same here

Wish I could've just *laughed* my ass off... I had to change the way I ate.
More than 4 years now doing without sugar, potatoes, and bread. Down from 330+ (don't know how much + because that's where the scale pegged) to 230; still losing slowly. -- Howard ("I CAN SEE MY D***!!" -- the nutty professor) -- Howard Lee Harkness Texas Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor www.CHL-TX.com snipped-for-privacy@CHL-TX.com Low-cost Domain Registration and Hosting! www.Texas-Domains.com