APOLOGY TO GROUP

I am sorry if my earlier statements offended anyone or ruffled anyone's feathers. I was offering an option for newcomers to the trade. I never claimed to be endorsing industrial grade products, just an inexpensive option for people to get started based on a recent purchase for my grandson that I was surprisingly satisfied with. Of course it is a rougher path when using less expensive tools, but the job can still get done if you do things carefully.

I will not bother with the rest of the series I was going to post here. I am obviously not welcome by the majority. I also apologize for those who were offended by my opening sarcastic crack about some of the regulars here. But it was only sarcasm, not meant to be an attack on the group as a whole, and you should all try to remember that you can not see a person's face or read his body language from a computer. I am not a very efficient communicator. I am up in years and I am getting out of touch with socializing.

Peace be with all of you for the holidays.

Reply to
Expert Woodworker

Start with adding lots of smileys embedded in the text to enhance your sarcasm. Next I would change my username as the one you have, though maybe true, is a little agressive in this group. Stick around, even old experts can learn something from this group, as you've already found out about posting ettiquite.

Gary, one of the other Gary's

Reply to
GeeDubb

You've had your welcome by fire... Stick around and share some of the

40 years experience with us.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Apology accepted.

1) Now change your handle to something less pontificating like your real name. (Gary is it?) 2) Post some pics of your 40+ year woodworking career in A.B.P.W. (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking) 3) Start all opinion threads with "IMHO". (In My Humble Opinion) 4) Don't get offended when people don't agree with your "opinions". Most of the time we are only experienced with something from one facet when indeed there are many sides to any given situation.

This is really a good resource and I look forward to hearing some of your advice for the many questions around here. I know I have gotten excellent advice here and it always seems there is at least one person who will know an answer for any question. A good example for me was my cutting boards were all bowing up on the sides after I made them, without hesistation someone said quit laying them down on the counter. Laf! That is exactly what I was doing, now I stack then vertically hehe.

Have a great day! Rich

Reply to
Rich

I followed the controversial thread that you started earlier. You claim to be an experienced woodworker and I respect that. As someone who has been using usenet since the mid eighties, my advice is to lurk lurk lurk and only decloak when you are comfortable with the banter. Answer specific questions that you are sure of. Once your name is known, you will be respected for your positions.

If you had lurked a while you would have learned that people here are big on buying quality tools out of the chute, buy once, cry once. Most inexperienced woodworkers (myself included) buy the cheapest tools they can find, then regret it when a better tool is not in the budget down the road. Having someone bill themselves as "Expert Woodworker" then inviting them to buy very poor quality tools is just too much for the old timers around here to take.

You are welcome to stay around and give us the benefit of your experience when we ask specific questions.

If you are just a troll, you will be killfiled anyway and quickly become irrelevant.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

That's what you get for coming out with your air screw guns a blazing.I'm a newbie here and know enough not to judge anyone.There are talented guys out there with 5-15 yrs of experience that could put a 30-40yr veterans to shame.I think I would get much opinion from the masses before deciding myself what should a good starter kit consist of.The drill you speak of runs on 90 cfm,you would need a fair size compressor to operate that tool efficiently, otherwise you would cause a smaller compressor to cut in and out constantly,plus dragging a hose around. I think I would opt out and choose a cheezy cordlees rather that put up with the noise and baggage. I was looking forward to Part 2 "How to use a table saw" as i'm having problems sawing wood.When I approach the saw blade with a piece of lumber, the blade grabs it a flicks the wood across the room.I was going to try sawing from the other side of the table but was afraid that I may get hit in the face with a plank. Question: What do you suggest?

Reply to
Dan Parrell

Excellent example. Expert woodworker, if you're there, do a fast search on Dan here. He's new to the group, came in with a good question, got a mild ration of s**t and has a place on the porch. I new he was a keeeper. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Gary,

If you walked into a bar full of strangers, turned over an empty glass, introduced yourself as the hardest man in town and told the company that an un-named proportion of them are, in effect, jerks, then you'd expect a number to them to take a swing at you. You're old enough to know that :)

You'll find that on this ng - as in life - if you treat people with courtesy and good humour, you'll get it back (mostly). One thing I've found with the internet and email generally is that any negativity in your statements seems to be amplified. You can smile and call someone a silly bastard with affection in your voice and it goes over ok. But the same statement (even if the sentiment and intention were the same) would almost certainly cause grave offence in print without something else added to remove the sting.

If your apology is genuine, then I'm happy to accept it at face value.

If it's all a troll, well, it's a good 'un!

Cheers, and a Merry Xmas to you and yours.

Frank

PS - lose the handle, mate.

Reply to
Frank McVey

What...after 40 years of hacking wood and you're gonna let a little ole flamin chase ya off. Not a chance. With your gumption and balls to stand there and take it (as well as deliver a few good rounds in return), I think you'll fit in just fine.

Welcome to the wRECk and spin a yarn or two for us about what, where and how you did your woodworking.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Water on a ducks back and all that stuff....

I have a few tools from Harbor Freight. Cheap, yes, but I wasn't sure I wanted to fork out the big bucks on the higher priced tools right off the bat. Same way as I bought the cheap tools when I was learning to be a mechanic MANY years ago. I bought the cheap imported junk to get my feet wet. Once I had decided to make a career out of it, I replaced them all with SnapOn tools. Good quality, lifetime warranty and they wear very well. I am sure they will outlast me.

Back to the woodworking tools. Same deal. I have cheapo tools, some I use all the time, some not. Some I am planning to replace with better more expensive (and accurate) equipment. All in due time. Had I realized that I did not really enjoy woodworking, I would not have much $$$ in them so no great loss...plus I could sell them faster...

If that hurts someones toes....please come back and I'll be sure to have the waffle Eswing in hand next time...

Mark (one of them anyway)

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Dan's wife dresses him funny too....

blazing.I'm a

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Ya can't let the grief get to you. Look at BAD.........hi Dave!!! Share your wisdom, and experience, and in just a short time you'll be giving it back with the best of them..........oh yeah......I might think about that handle though

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Mine does too. Why do women *do* that? Honey, I'm fine with the fashions I was wearing in college. Why do I need to put on this new stuff?

Reply to
Silvan

Earlier, you said something about getting lucky tonight. Is this part of it? j4

Reply to
jo4hn

hell, I don't mind taking it on the chin once in a while!! :) yeah, right! (Actually, I was kinda bummed when Keeter posted a WW related issue with no BS for me... :) )

dave

David Babcock wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Silvan responds:

Hell, my wife would settle for my college styles...if I could get into them. Flares are back, but my 32" waistline isn't.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

"Charlie Self" ...

I tried on an old pair of jeans the other day and I managed to get into them! All I need do now is wait for fashion to dictate that the fly and button is left undone...

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

You know Dave you strike as the kind of guy that won't be having many (maybe even any) cars in your funeral procession.

That make you feel better?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

That's why I wear a sweater.

Of course this only works in the winter.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yeah, but the blinking sweater seems to add 30 pounds. I don't need 30 pounds. I tried getting into my old USMC class A green blouse a couple years ago. Yeah, right. One arm and then forget it. But hell, I only weighed about 185 when I wore that thing.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self