anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

Page 5 of 6
snipped-for-privacy@aci.on.ca says...

Your evasion of a comment on the facts by selective editing is a hallmark of a true Liberal.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Mark responds:

And your style of reasoning is one reason I dislike spending time around Conservatives.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

You keep capitalizing Liberal. I like that. After all America was founded by liberals using liberal principles.
That's all pretty much dead now, but I think its worth keeping the ideas floating around in case somewhere else others want to live with the rule of law and rights granted to individuals rather than what is going on now.
When you mention evasion, I can't help but think of Bush. He has done it his whole life and it is working pretty well for him.
--
"There is... an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth,
without either virtue or talents... The artificial aristocracy is a

Now THAT is a stretch. I'm sure the ACLU would have prospered in the 18th century!
But I'm sure you'll provide a link from moveon.org or guardian.co.uk to prove that.
I think there is only one quality worse than hardness of heart and that is

No stretch at all. The ACLU fights the SAME BS that went on in the 18th century. Against the same "conservatives."

I could provide links from lots of places, but what's the point. I could limit it to life long republicans, but what's the point.
--
"The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and
impartial justice to all its citizens." - Thomas Jefferson

liberals, not statists. Your views are statist, not liberal in the classical sense. You don't espouse individual liberty for anything other than personal gratification or moral depravity.

Yep, pretty much dead now, you can't critcize the sitting president (see your comment below) without dire reprisals, you can't worship where you please, you can't travel anywhere within this country without government permission. [Note to the irony impaired, the prior was sarcasm]
Let's look at your other statements above, " ... want to live with the rule of law" Actually, those who founded this country wanted to be able to live with a minimum of laws and controls and set up the constitution accordingly. Your modern definition of liberal seeks to impose more and more laws to limit individual freedoms to engage in commerce or industry, to regulate political speech by limiting the ability to air political speech more than 90 days before an election unless you are a member of a specific protected group (i.e. a politician running for office or a member of the press). Not at all what the founders had in mind. "... and rights *granted* to individuals" The founders are spinning in their graves over that one. The fundamental thought in the Constitution and even before that, the Declaration of Independence, was that individuals are *endowed* with inalienable rights and that repressive governments take away those God-given individual rights. The constitution does not *grant* individual rights, it affirms them and limits the governments ability to take away those rights.
The things you are decrying as removing freedoms are actually laws that were enacted to make sure that those seeking to really destroy those freedoms and most likely yourself. The laws you are indirectly referring to are directly aimed at the groups who are seeking to destroy the way of life you claim we have already lost and help prevent those groups from being successful in their quest.

Just can't avoid adding those little hate-Bush digs, can you?

snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

Mark & Juanita writes:

What I'd like is to see the entire electoral process reduced to 90 days. Period. Nominate and elect. Screw this nonsense now: try to watch news or sports, and here's some fumblewit telling you how great he'll be at a job no sane many would want.

Within reason. It is in the interpretation of that within reason that problems arise. No one group or philosphical concept has the entire answer and all of those I've checked are wrong on significant areas.
We now have the most repressive government we've had since the '50s, yet the guy and gal on the street thinks it's a good thing, that government is doing what it can to protect us. Not so. The current growing tendency to think that growth of government is a good thing is frightening to anyone, Liberal or Conservative, who takes time to think. Government in its growth phase is not benign. But, then, when you read the "man on the street" responses in polls and articles, it's a wonder things aren't worse than they are. Regardless of agreement or disagreement, the lack of thought that goes into most responses is astonishing. We can probably be grateful that no more than about 50% of the populace bothers to vote.
Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain

why are you so agressive nate? sheesh. if you werent in attack mode you may have learned something too.
randy

I tend to agree with Gerry, although Home Depot may be the exception. I'm Canadian too and am familiar with the retail industry and the low wages that the front line workers get. As to the people that work at Home Depot in stores that I've gone to in Toronto, they appear to be typically more experienced and knowledgeable that your average employee. Haven't asked, but their outlook suggests that they're a little better compensated. They remind me a little of the employees at Lee Valley Tools who are *all* extremely experienced and knowledgeable. Don't know what they make either, but work attitude goes a long way to making the premise true.

I'd have to agree. Lots of the HD folks (and LV) are older and many have real experience. Not at all like retail in other areas. I'd be curious to know what range of salaries they make, since they seem to attract and hold onto good staff. I noticed on the HD in-store recruiting ads that they offer a bunch of benefits as well.
Mike
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:49:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Xane T.) wrote:

Try a locally owned store.
I have this funny habit of finding part time jobs in the current hobby I'm in. In high school, I worked in a music store (instruments, not recorded), and at other times I've worked in radio control shops and bicycle shops. All of these jobs enabled me to buy my fun stuff at or near wholesale, and meet others with the same passions.
Every one of these stores had the owner(s) on premise, and all but one was considered to be the best in the area at what they did. Besides the involved owner, all of them shared the idea of hiring those who were known well to the shop, employees were never drawn from a stack of applications. The full timers at these places NEVER seem to leave, all of them are paid well and treated well.
I've enjoyed every minute working in these places, even if it's just "lackey" work like unloading a tractor trailer full of bicycles. <G>
Barry

That's the impression I got from someone a few years ago.

That's another thing...every HD or Lowe's employee I've talked to has liked their job, which means a lot to me. The only real complaint I've heard was from a guy in a paint dept. who said they are understaffed in his oppinion, so he can't get things accomplished the way he feels they should be. He was considering transferring to another store, but wanted to stay with the company.

Thanks for all that...those are all things that are very important to me.

So do I, and wonder why someone would present such an ignorant bit of "information" to anyone else, especially in a public forum.

Damn the SOB I'm currently working for...a greedy, dishonest asshole who lies to and about his employees for no apparent reason other than to hurt them, who never realizes his own mistakes meaning that he makes a lot of them (since he can't try to get over making them if he won't even acknowledge them), at the expense of those who are trying to work for him (as well as himself). Not damn him to Hell, but damn him to what he deserves!!!
Ok, so what does that mean? Most businesses that use forklifts have good drivers and bad ones. Just like any other job. The guy I know used to load my steel hauling truck and was one of the best I've ever seen. I'm not too shabby with a forklift myself. Have you ever ran a forklift? Ever screw up and bump something or dump something? Anyone who has used a forklift for a while and says they haven't screwed up is lying.
Bruce Redding, Ca.

Hmm... 1 mile north is the Borg. 1 mile south is the ACE. Am I looking to buy a tool, bit, roll of duct tape or shower door?.. go North. Am I trying to find a slightly smaller thingy that will fit my existing thingy and still allow me to use the bigger thingy on Thursdays?..Go south.
Would you be happier at "the Borg" or the Ace? That's where you should look to work. IMHO. Pat..

Better hope to get a job with the one that has an opening. If either one does in today's market.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
<quote on> 'anything else you think should be taken into consideration' <quote off>
people are simply mentioning the 'anything else'
randy
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:44:35 GMT, dh snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

I've known people working for HD a long time and they enjoy it. You don't always get (nor should you expect) to always get a particular shift, nor a particular department. A person who stocks prolly should not expect more than $10 an hour, if that. Working at the headquarters, is very very different, and HD has won awards for "a good place to work." Personally, I'd prefer to work close to where I live to avoid the (wasted) commute time.

That's a definate consideration. I could get a job working in lighting production (which I did for about the past 7 years, and off and on for about 20 years), paying a good bit better, but that would require driving 1 hour+ each way every day, and I would pretty much have to be married to it. I want to get away from that, and just have a simple job I go do, and then go home and try to enjoy my own life for a change. What I'd really like (I think) is the kind of job where you go *live* it for periods of time like a couple weeks or a month, and then you're off for a week or so at a time. I wanted to get on with a big local lighting company that did a lot of touring and offered such opportunities (I'd been thinking about that for 15 years), but they closed their location in this area just about the time I finally wanted to go to work for them :-( That's life...oh ain't it!

try an oil rig, or the alaska pipeline. that's how they work.