anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

Page 4 of 6
John wrote:

LPNs and community colleges have 2 year degrees, hospitals (if you can find one still doing it) give 3 year degrees, colleges give 4 year degrees unless you already have a degree, in which case the extra is 17 months to 2 years. The 4 years gets you a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN).
Dave in Fairfax (RN, BSN)
--
reply-to-is-disabled-due-to-spam
use:
JPLipe wrote:

It depends on which state is issuing the license. In New York State the minimum score is 80%, which is one reason the NYS license is recognized throughout the country. According to my daughter, who has taken the test twice, the NCLEX test is computerized, zeros in on you weakest area and hammers you.
βœ–
On 05 Apr 2004 04:03:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JPLipe) wrote:

Do you think she told you the truth?
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
Add pictures here
βœ–

in
What's that old Joke? What do you call the guy who graduated *last* in his medical school class?
Doctor...
Add pictures here
βœ–
mttt wrote:

Or last in his class at Annapolis?
"Sir".
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
βœ–

Or last in his class at West Point?
"General Custer".
And that's a fact.
βœ–
So? All that means is that 50% of the test is made up of questions that they don't expect you to be able to answer. What's 50% of a bunch?

in
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's also not accurate. The nursing board exam is and has been for the last several years adaptive. The exact number of questions asked and the number required as well as their relative difficulty varies for each test taker. The test "adapts to your individual responses in an effort to judge competancy. The actual minimum scores are not published.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, it was accurate when SWMBO was licensed. Granted, that's been a while, and I'm not surprised that things have changed in the meantime.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–

Licensed Pratical Nurse. They have about 2 years of formal training compared to 4 years for an RN. RNs are in pretty high demand.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

Your experience is that most nurses are LPNs? Do you live in a nursing home? <G>
I have always worked in a hospital setting (been a RN since 1992). While our LPNs are grandfathered, they don't seem to be hiring any more. We have two of them on my unit. Of course, we also have about 34 others who are all RNs.
As for educational preparation, I have an associates degree in nursing (ADN). Maybe half of my peers at work have the same. I earned it in two years. BSNs generally spend the first two years leaning liberal arts stuff, then start with the clinical nursing curriculum during their third year, completing it all in their fourth year.
Irregardless of how one earns a degree in nursing, we all take the same national exam. These days it's all computerized. There are not different scores acceptable for different states. You either pass the NCLEX or you don't. The days of different scores required in different states ended before I became a nurse. My mother remembers those days though... but then again she's 80 and remembers when Wyatt Earp died.
Once you pass, you can apply for licensure to individual states. One of the Dakotas requires a BSN to go along with the NCLEX but as far as I know that's the only one. Several states belong to the Nursing Compact, where a license from one can be used in any of the others (similar to a NY driver's license being acceptable to drive in Connecticut). Most of the states require their own license for practice. If you move from another state then it's just a formality to get that state's license (requiring 2-3 weeks of wating and a check). Generally speaking, a license from any one state will qualify you for a license in any other state.
They pay us the same no matter how we were prepared for the NCLEX. I've heard of places that might pay 25 cents per hour more for a BSN but I've never worked in one. Work experience (as a RN) has much more influence on what rate you're paid. I'm making roughly double what I did when I first graduated now.
As for demand.... man, it's a seller's market these days, and the nurses are what's selling. 3-10 thousand dollar sign-on bonuses are the rule in my neck of the woods. We don't grow on trees any more, though the jobs sure do.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
βœ–
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 05:58:38 -0500 (CDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (GARY) wrote:

Come to the northeast. I have several nurse acquaintances that are almost to the point of being able to fill in their own numbers on the paycheck. <G>
One of them works as a Cardiac Care nurse, assisting procedures like angioplasty, for a staffing company. He works 3-6 month temp assignments, takes 3 months off to fly his r/c planes, and moves on to another, nicely compensated, assignment.
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
(GARY)

Yup, the northeast. My wife's friend is an operating room nurse and her W-2 this year was in excess of $100,000.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4 Apr 2004 18:25:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mutt) wrote:

My college sweetheart graduated the same time I did. I started out making more money as a computer programmer than she did as a registered nurse. But in the end, she wins, and I'm out of a job for months and months.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Phisherman wrote:

Yep. when one of us loses our job, we're out of work for hours and hours.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
βœ–
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

It's really annoying to have my mailbox filled by places that want to pay me to come work for them. %-) And the sign on bonuses are insulting, $3-5K. Really am sorry about your being out of work Phisherman. I was talking to Silvan about a career change to PT or Radiology, they take 2 years and pay OK to start.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to-is-disabled-due-to-spam
use:
daveldr at att dot net
βœ–
Dave in Fairfax writes:

Heh. When we had our fire last year and lived in temp housing a few months, the place next to ours had a young husband and wife, with the wife a radiology tech, IIRC. She was high enough up the training scale to be doing contract work through an agency. They moved every year or two according to job availability. The guy worked at relatively low pay construction and rode off-road motorcycles, which is what he enjoys, while the wife worked at a local hospital at a rate that probably pushed 100K a year, but that also included that temp housing (2 bedroom full furnished and equipped apartment, with maid service) and some other bennies. I know for a fact that the housing goes for at least $1400 a month (but that includes local telephone bill, utilities, heat, even the detergent for the dishwasher and the washing machine. It's rough, though: you have to share the washing machine and dryer with the apartment next door).
It pays OK. To start.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
Add pictures here
βœ–
Even *if* he were getting 40 hours a week, that's only about $32K a year. Even at that, the suits wouldn't get out of bed.

Same as above, about $25K. You called these "former tradesmen who are reasonably compensated for their knowledge of the trades"? We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
People need to start referring to earnings in amount/year to really get a better basis for comparisons.
Gerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aci.on.ca says...

Bullshit.
Your claim was that the employees of HD/Lowes earned minimum wage, which is virtually Always expressed in dollars per hour.
Now that you've been shown to have your head up your ass and generally have no idea what you're talking about, you're trying to nuance your claim by saying it's no longer an issue of minimum wage, but a comparison to upper management (which is a completely specious argument, and you Know it).
Nice try. No dice.
Be a nice Liberal and crawl back into your hole.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
βœ–

In place of a reasoned, thought-out response, you spew out NOTHING but insults and you say that I have no idea. You obviously have *no* *ideas* at all to share.
I guess this NG had to have a pissant like you who basks in the anonymity and invulnerability that USENET provides for mental midgets.
BTW, I think there's a village looking for you.
Gerry
Add pictures here
βœ–