Anyone using the Work Sharp 3000 tool sharpener ?

I've read many of the available online reviews in several forums and this looks like it might be the kind of thing I'm looking for. Try as I might I've never become an expert at sharpening hand tools. Perhaps I just don't have the right Zen attitude for it.

I also like that they are actually built in the USA (Oregon) using as many domestic parts as possible.

Reply to
John Horner

"John Horner" wrote

Know the feeling ... haven't heard from anyone here who's had hands on yet. It was on sale at the WoodCraft here in Houston last week for $199 ... good thing I was out of town.

Reply to
Swingman

Small gloat I just bought the Work Sharp 2000 last weekend. Northern Tool had it for $89.00 less another 10% just on Friday. Anxious to try it out.

Reply to
dabears525

Don't forget to post your experiences.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

One problem some people here mentioned with a device similar to this one was that the inner section of the wheel moves slower than the outer. When sharpening plane irons - they tend to go out of square.

I am not sure if that person ever resolved their problem - using a different technique, etc.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

John,

No I don't have one but I did speak to a company rep about two weeks ago. They also make the Drill Doctor which I do have.

Consider what your sharpening needs will consist of. If you plan on doing

12" portable planer or 6" jointer blades - it won't do it. Woodturning tools (some grinds can't be done), chisels and hand plane blades is what they push but even some of those can't be done. So look at all the tools you expect to sharpen with it then call them and ask your questions directly. They will tell you exactly what you can and can't expect from either model. I've read someplace in one of the forums, that somebody came up with a way to cut the sanding disks holes into discs you can purchase cheaper than those "see-thru" slotted sanding/sharpening disks.

It's a good idea but it's not a do all sharpening system if that is what you were expecting. They have a video on their site that is worth viewing.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

might I've never become an expert at >sharpening hand tools. Perhaps I just don't have the >right Zen attitude for it.

I a not sure this will work, but here's a really good look at the newest version of the product.

that doesn't get you to the right thread, go to woodcentral.com, click on "messages" on the left side under forums button. (Messages is their general woodoworking forum). Scroll down to find the thread on this machine once you are in "messages".

There is a full on test of the machine with chisels, and a ton of test information, including pictures and the actual test pics. Plus a lot of other input on the machine itself. The review seems to be pretty honest and objective. I would certainly trust a review like this more than I would some nitwit writing for the birdcage flooring I see in the woodworking section of the magazine rack.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

John,

My woodworking club just did a bulk purchase of the WS3000 and I got one. I don't have any hands-on experience yet, but I decided to buy one on the the recommendation of some of the more learned members of the club.

I hope me and my zen can get some experience over the Christmas holidays.

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Now think that logic through a bit.

If the sides of the chisel or plane iron are extended up to intersect the rotating plane of the spinning disk TANGENT to the circular rotating disk (which is what the Bevel Fixture does - by design) and even though the "outside" of the edge of the chisel or plane iron is seeing more feet per minute of abrassive that the "inside" edge is seeing then the "outside" of the edge will be ground down UNTIL the "inside" of the edge makes contact with the abrassive and the bevel is now flat and square to the sides of the chisel

From that point on the process repeats itself - but about 10 times a second. If it goes out of square while properly placed in the Bevel Fixture I sure as hell can't see it - and that's with a machinist square, not an engineer square checking it - I see NO light shining through between the edge and the square.

It might be a problem if you're freehanding using the tool post and you just set the bevel down and hold it on top of the rotating abrassive disk.

Check out my page on the WorkSharp WS3000. It may clear things up - or not

charlieb

Thanks. I didn't know that the plane iron was tangent. Didn't one of the other sharpeners orient the plane iron the other way?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

might I've never become an expert at >sharpening hand tools. Perhaps I just don't have the >right Zen attitude for it.

Thanks for the link, that is a really well written review. The WS300 sounds perfect for me. I want to get my chisels and plane's sharp with the minimum fuss.

Reply to
John Horner

I've never become an expert at sharpening hand tools. =EF=BF=BDPerhaps I

Or maybe you don't have one of these?

Tim

"charlieb" wrote

you for that review of "scary sharp on steroids"!

Thanks to you, and the fact that the weather has been too nasty to do any finishing, and my helper, who does an excellent job of carrying her end of any piece of furniture you could care to move in and out of the shop, is out of town, all my chisels and plane irons are now sharp!

You should ask for a raise! :)

Reply to
Swingman