Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they suggest a 30a circuit.
Until I get around to ripping all my cables out of my work shop and redoing them properly (I have already bought the subpanel...) I only have a 20a circuit, so I am wondering if it actually works.
And, how do you like it in general? JDS actually said that for one machine their 2hp would be adequate, but I figure on something like a CMS you need all the air movement you can get.
Toller wrote:
> They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they suggest a > 30a circuit.
"They" don't have a clue if they suggest a 20A c'bkr.
You need 30A.
Thermal/Magnetic c'bkrs are designed to operate at 80% of rating on a continuous basis under normal ambient temperatures.
Lew

That depends on whether the 18A is peak, or continuous, current. If the continuous current is 16A or less, a 20A breaker is fine. If it's over 16A, then a 30A breaker is needed.

Exactly -- which is why it's important to know whether the 18A is peak or continuous.
--
Regards,
18 amps is full load current of the 3hp motor on the JDS cyclone. Jack

dc's suck a lot of power when they start. far more then most tools do. mine really takes some power to get revved up to full power.
Full load current (amps) of a motor is the continuous loading of the motor (ignoring service factor ) before overheating damage to the motor will begin. Starting currents and duration are another rating that depends on motor design and loading.
Full load current (amps) of a motor is the continuous loading of the motor (ignoring service factor ) before overheating damage to the motor will begin. Starting currents and duration are another rating that depends on motor design and loading.
My 3hp cyclone is on a 25 amp breaker.
A 3hp 220 volt motor generally requires a 30a dedicated circuit. You might be able to get by on a 20a circuit but you might blow the circuit from time to time or overheat the wiring. 20a wiring is 12 gauge, 30a is 10 gauge