Anyone used Roxul insulation?

It seems to be great. Cheaper than Pink, more R value, better sound proofing. I'm in Canada but here is the USA site. http://199.202.236.133/usa/english.asp

Reply to
PaulMartin

Whereas On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:24:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@canada.eh scribbled: , I thus relpy:

Reply to
Gary Tait

According to :

There's only two ways it's not as good as fiberglass:

1) You can't buy it in "handi-packs" or rolls, so, it can be a major annoyance if you're just doing small jobs. Only full size bags of batts - which are quite big and heavy compared to fiberglass.

Thus, DIYers tend not to get a good chance to familiarize themselves with it on small jobs, and thus don't think to try it on big ones.

Even the guys who blow this stuff into attics buy batts and feed them to a chopper/blower.

2) Takes up a lot more room in storage/shipping because it doesn't pack as well into bags as fiberglass - so you have more and larger bags of Roxul for a given job than you would with fiberglass.

Ie: more trips to the homebuilding store. Ie: Always in the way if you're trying to store them inside the building you're insulating...

Still, I'll never use fiberglass again...

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Well in Canada the biggest downside is Home Depot has an exclusive on it. Can't buy it anywhere else. BUT it's almost 30% cheaper than buying the pink with a higher R value too boot! I think I can live with the down sides if Home Depot ever gets it in in

24x6 batts. Supposed to be in stock by the end of the month.
Reply to
PaulMartin

According to :

What!!???

I've bought the stuff from Beaver, and I'm pretty sure the catalogs for several other chains (like Home Hardware) show it.

Roxul is made "Available through all retail building supply dealers."

Oh, I see, it looks as if Manitoba and westwards are HD only for retail.

That's largely a matter of spot market demand. I've seen the cost comparison go either way.

Beaver has carried that for _years_. Not exactly a new product.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I'm in BC. http://199.202.236.133/canada/where_to_buy_details.asp?prov=1&type=Retail>"Available through all retail building supply dealers."

Reply to
PaulMartin

Reply to
Tony Hwang

According to Tony Hwang :

Often, certainly, but not always.

HD Canada appears to be run somewhat more at "arms length" from the US parent than is usual for Canadian divisions of US chains. Ie: entirely different staff hiring practises. Canadian HD employees tend to know what they're talking about - eg: the guy in the plumbing section is often a licensed plumber with lots of experience.[+]

By all reports, US HD employees generally don't (and are as bad as the kids at Canadian Tire).

[+] A plumber told me that many of his licensed plumber friends part time at HD to fill in the gaps in their contracts...
Reply to
Chris Lewis

Wait 10, 20 ,50 yrs. You will be the ASS that experimented, and HD now wont warranty your PUSS,,,,, Wake UP It lasts thousands of years done right ,, Bozo, YOU a BOZO , BOZO

Reply to
mark Ransley