Anyone use Ichthammol ointment for removing slinter / sliver?

Page 2 of 2
"Swingman" wrote in message

It would be a very close up kind of weapon. The spread on that would be crazy. Maybe snakes?
http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?seriesA
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:25:17 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

DUCK!
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus-Judge/Dsc00284.jpg
Scary, wot?
The Taurus Judge looks like a sweet little wrist breaker. http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm
-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Redefines close quarters. Like useful inside a Mini Cooper when confronted by a dangerous passenger. But I bet is sounds impressive.
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:13:29 -0700 (PDT), the infamous RP

I've found that almost any greasy substance will work well as a drawing salve for slivers of most substances. I used to use only specific drawing salves or triple antibiotic ointment, but a few times I've been out, so I put on some regular old Vaseline. It worked extremely well, too. It may just be that anything which restricts oxygen to the wound will encourage antibody/pus production.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
"Jay Pique" wrote:

Consider adding an Xacto knife with the "pointy" blade to your kit.
Have kept an Xacto holder /W/ a blade cover along with a bottle of betadine in my shop med kit for years.
Lew
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:33:43 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

the best "digger out er" I found was a new sterile hyperemic needle (25 GA works great)
Dave
"Farmer Dave" wrote:

Mikley likes it.
Me too.
Lew
On 4/26/2010 7:37 PM, Farmer Dave wrote:

A while back after dealing with a particularly recalcitrant splinter, I got one of these <http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-SPLINT.XX . The forceps are crap but the probe is excellent.

It works real good for ~slightly~ embedded wood parts. If you cannot see any part of the wood you need to dig it out in another manner, especially if it's as bad as you say.
RP
Jay Pique wrote:

Used to use it when I was young. My folks swore by it. I don't know, I guess it worked some of the time, it did help loosen things up.
If you've got swelling and aren't seeing the splinter, it may be time to suck it up and visit a doctor. (No, I don't make that statement lightly, I resist with every ounce of my being having to visit a doc, but sometimes you just gotta do it)

Rob Leatham