Anyone use graphite spray for TS lubrication?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone every use graphite spray for to lub the "innards" of their TS?
I came across this : http://www.graphitestore.com/itemDetails.asp?item_idD1&prd_id5&cat_id &curPage=1
Ive read here that graphite powder is the best thing to useworks great - but were do you find it?
I also came across this little receipe : "Buy a small package of dry graphite powder at your local auto supply store (~$2). Get one of the large baby glass jars (one step up from the small ones) and pour 1/2 of the graphite into the jar. Now start adding a spoonful or two of Johnson's or Butchers wax and stir well. Keep adding graphite, wax and mixing until the jar is about 3/4 full. This should give you a very black looking wax full of graphite to lube your gears and it will not attract sawdust. If needed, add a drop or two of mineral spirits to thin if the wax is hard - but not to much. If you add to much, leave the lid off the jar for a few days so it can evaporate out."
I checked out my local pep boys and asked for graphite powder - they had no idea what I was talking about.
Any help would be appreciated??
Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

Try a good hardware store. They should have graphite powder. It's pretty common stuff.
Brian
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob V asks:

You mean the clerk didn't know. Ask for door lock lube. That's dry graphite powder, usually in a plastic tube that you squeeze lightly to send a puff into the lock interior.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob V wrote:

http://www.graphitestore.com/itemDetails.asp?item_idD1&prd_id5&cat_id &curPage=1
Try an automotive store or Ace hardware. See:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 95694&cp54883.1255104.1304041&parentPageϊmily
βœ–

A real hardware store like an independent "Mom & Pop" hardware or Ace or Tru-Value will have it.
So will Sears, in the hardware department.
Home centers like Lowe's or Home Depot might have it, but a real hardware store is a better bet.

Note that you don't want to use graphite from a spray can for that recipe, you want powdered graphite in a tube. Specifically, you want *dry* graphite; some brands are graphite suspended in light machine oil, and you don't want that either.

If you tell them it's for lubricating car door locks, they'll probably be able to find it, even if they don't know what it is.

Any of the following: - a real hardware store - the hardware department at Sears - an auto parts store where employees have at least half a clue (try a NAPA) - a locksmith
βœ–
Yep, asking for powdered graphite versus graphite powder might have done the trick.
The less they understand, the more literal folks are.
I like "slide plate" spray.

βœ–

Perhaps, but that wasn't the point. Rather, the idea was that while the typical parts-store drone might have no idea what graphite is, there's a decent chance he could point you toward the stuff that's used as door lock lubricant.
βœ–
It was my point. You were merely the first to use the phrase.
Some lock lubricants also have oils and such, so you'd have to have specified dry.

βœ–
George wrote:

The drone is going to point you at a shelf full of cans. You should be able to read the labels yourself at that point.

--
--John
βœ–

Where I shop, "powdered graphite" is very different stuff to "lock lubricating graphite". If it's as a lubricant, then you want flake or colloidal graphite. Just asking for powder (unless you specify it as a lubricant) might get you anything from activated charcoal to buckyballs.
BTW - When you've used this stuff, put it away _carefully_ and don;t store it in glass. You wouldn't believe the mess if you drop it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well, you may be the first to have grasped the point I tried to make - "powdered graphite" versus "graphite powder" makes a lot of difference to someone who's only seen the one word combination, and, as one obtuse critic mentioned it, not all lock lubes and free-up solutions are either of the above.
I still recall my innocent young bride returning from the PX without the requested shoe polish, because "all they had was 'boot polish'."

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (Andy Dingley) writes:

Buckyballs? Heck of a woodworking supply shop! I've heard of micro tools, but this opens up some new possibilities.
βœ–
do you find this does more harm than good? ive had to resist the urge several times to spam you...
randy

Add pictures here
βœ–

You need a good template letter, customized to use the laws of your state, and have to make it official. It does work occasionally, and you can get money if you do the legwork.
It's also a great way to end an argument when a spammer tries to say that I granted permission. (Notice that each address I use is unique/tagged). I can point to the exact USENET posting where someone harvested my address for spamming. But many spammers hide behind layers and layers of obfuscation, so I use it when necessary.
It also states very clearly that I have NEVER granted permission. (It's only one of several techniques I use to fight spam.)
βœ–
Bruce Barnett wrote:

So, do you wear tights when you're fighting spam?
UA100, who did use graphite spray once on his saw and liked it well enough but you gotta watch for the staining...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Spandex. But only at night. I just hope no one finds out my secret identity. :-)
βœ–

You'll wish you never asked: http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard/TRONcostume /
Add pictures here
βœ–
For the love of god, don't you know women and children might actually see this ?????
Andy Dingley wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Good God! That makes me oh so thankful I'm hetero - especially that rear view...
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (Andy Dingley) writes:

My eyes! My eyes!
βœ–