Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

Page 5 of 5
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:08:24 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

ah what does he know......
<G>
I don't use a CAD program for my woodworking drawings. Instead I use Micrografx Designer. It's a Windows technical drawing program. In fact, it almost looks like a CAD program. At least version 9 and under does. Since Corel bought out Micrografx they've changed the interface to make it look more like CorelDraw. While Corel is a powerful program it's interface never suited me and what I needed a drawing program for. CAD programs are also very powerful, but but too "technical" for me. Micrografx Designer fit the bill. Too bad the company didn't market the product better and had to sell out to Corel. There are a lot of die hard Designer users out there. If you look you can find versions 9 and under for less than $70. Version 10 is when Corel changed the interface. :-(
You can draw full scale and then re-size the drawing proportionately to fit the page or several pages and print out. You can customize the left side and top tool bar to have the tools you use most (and there are a lot of tools). One of the ways I judge a program is how well I can use it without resorting to reading the manual or help files and just figure things out. Micrografx is just that...easy to figure out. Click on one of it's many tools and see what it does. CorelDraw's interface is so simple I couldn't figure it out!
I'm sure you could use Designer to map out your cuts on a sheet of plywood. Should be really simple.
To do a cutting list I made up a simple Excel spreadsheet where you list all the parts and their demensions and it will calculate the total boardfeet and cost.
Don't know if this helped....
Layne
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:06:27 -0500, Michael Press