Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

Page 4 of 5
whatsa Mac? burger and fries?
Leslie
--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.
The legs aren't too bad either!

Like a Barbie, only with less pink.
My hardware is too old to use OSX, but here is one you can check out:
http://www.gizmolab.com/software /
Also, I wonder if Autocad is available for unix. If so, there are no doubt people using it on OSX now and it will become more practical in the near future. Ditto for other unix CAD software.
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:51:26 -0600, p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p_j) wrote:

nope.
long ago, autocad was available for the mac. that is a thing of the past. now it's a windows only thing.
eventually linux may get to the point where it can emulate all of the windows APIs or somethin and we can pitch bill's code, but for now if you want to play with acad you have to run windows.

I think Macs are really nice for graphics work. Windows is the O/S to have to run just about anything. I just installed a Linux box and I'm truly amazed at the speed and security, although Linux is not for the faint at heart. I'd like to see more graphics applications for Linux.
Phisherman wrote:

I'd like to see more of everything for Linux, for free or not. I just don't LIKE Windows. After a few years in Linuxdom, I can't even stand to use a Windows box anymore. It's just so crappy looking and difficult to maintain.
Design workshop lite (freeware) runs on classic and in the classic enviroment under OSX. Not too bad for general visualization stuff. http://www.artifice.com/free/dw_lite.html
Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) does a good job of translating the Windows API into X11 for use of windows software on linux.
-Bruce
p_j wrote:

BruceR wrote:

A "good" job? That's kinda like saying my Skil 3400 (anemic benchtop saw) does a good job of ripping 12/4 osage orange. :)
Thanks for the links - I've got some research to do! Design Intuition looks like the only one that's intended specifically for woodworking, which is more to my liking (I don't forsee me needing a full-on CAD application, just the feature subset that applies to designing and implementing woodworking projects).
Since I do already use Illustrator, tho (I am a graphic artist by profession, amateur woodworker as a hobby) the AI plugins might also be worthwhile.
Thanks again! The Mac community is small, keep sharing!
Brian
Brian wrote:

You should try living in Linuxdom. At least you have the option of buying a program or three.
(I've thought about getting a Mac for that very reason. Maybe being part of 3% would be better than being part of 1%. OTOH, I don't have any money anyway, and most of the Windows software I still occasionally miss doesn't run on a Mac, so I'd be in the same boat, only with one mouse button and a really goofy looking computer.)

Funny looking computer! FUNNY LOOKING COMPUTER! Why I outta .... ;) Well, yea the grape iMac at home is a bit funny looking if you prefer beige boxes but my titanium laptop is just cool looking. By the by I have a Macally mouse attached to the work computer and both buttons are functional. There are plenty of programable mouse or trackballs out there also. While I'm a dedicated Mac guy I do a lot of work on Windows architectures and as much as it pains me to admit neither Mac nor Linux is ready to run a medium to large enterprise and meet the requirements of the government (or at least the three lettered government folks where I work) . On the other hand to build an enterprise entirely out of Windows is a bad bad mistake. Allen Catonsville, MD
Allen Epps wrote:

No, no, let's take a step back here and take note of the adjective I actually used. To be precise, I said it's a GOOFY looking computer. :)

You mean they finally decided Mac users are smart enough to deal with the stress of having a mouse with TWO buttons? I'm shocked! :)
(They used to only have one big button smack in the middle of the mouse, but that was a long time ago. I haven't used a Mac since the early '90s.)
I really do think their hardware is goofy looking though. Computers should be blocky and beige, dammit.
I don't like some of the newer PCs either. That's what happens when you start letting twelve year old girls pick out computers.
You mean they finally decided Mac users are smart enough to deal with the > stress of having a mouse with TWO buttons? I'm shocked! :)
Yep, Still that way on some. Apple seems to think that the one button keyboard combo is faster. I frankly don't get it so I just buy a new 2 button mouse and it works fine.

Daddy can I get a matching iPod ???can I? Can I pleeeese, Huh Huh? ....... At least it lets us get cool IT toys because they're considered fashion accessories! :)
If you haven't looked at a Mac since OSX came out you really owe it to yourself to take a look. I dual booted a G4 with Red Hat and OSX and it worked great. Then figured out I could do any Unix thing I wanted on pure OSX and run Office and share files with Windoze losers so reconfigured to just Panther. As much as they'd like us to believe I just didn't find open office was that compatable with Wiondoze office. With Office X I get all kinds of folks amazed that the files work fine between the it and WIndows.
Allen Catonsville, MD
"If they can put a man on the moon why can't they put a man on Lifetime?" Colin Quinn
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:48:41 -0500, Brian wrote:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
--
-Doug

Being a dedicated Mac user at home and being forced to use Windoze at work, I find that sometimes the best solution to this type of problem is running Windoz software using Virtual PC on the Mac. If you have a G4 or better you probably won't notice much speed difference. I run the Windoze version of Office 2000 on my Mac if I'm doing work stuff because it assures compatibility ( I know the Mac and Windoze versions are supposed to be cross compatible but when it comes to complex graphics they are definitely not). I don't really notice a significant speed difference with Office 2000 - that is using a 900+MHz Pentium 4 at work and a single processor 867 MHz G4 at home.
--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

Steve James wrote:

Virtual PC emulates a rather poor video card, probably not up to snuff for many CAD programs.
-Bruce
Tue, Feb 17, 2004, 12:06am snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (MichaelPress) claims: I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure <$100) and useful for designing furniture.
Brain. Then if the plan gets complicated enough, add pencil and paper.
This is purely weekend hobby work, but I'd like precise drawings of my designs.
That sucks all the fun out of it.
I also imagine that it would be useful to generate a bill of materials, a cutting list, maybe a "map" of cuts on a sheet of plywood. <snip>
No guts, no glory.
I'm a computer programmer, <snip>
I'd never have guessed.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /

I use DeltaCAD. It is inexpensive and very easy to learn. But it is only a 2D application. No sketching, modeling, or advanced functions of any kind. I use it to plan home projects. I bought mine about five years ago for $20.00 (no manual). I think they now sell it for about $40.00 including the manual. I've seen the CD in Staples for $12.99. If you want down 'n dirty -- but useful, it's a pretty good product.
FWIW this guy uses CAD:
http://tinyurl.com/ywkqd
http://tinyurl.com/3e2tc
<g>
-- Mark

Drawings up to 54" wide. http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapbook/view.nhtml?profile=scrapbook&UID 013
(Yes I do visit Tom's site at least once a week. Why do you ask? <g>)
-- Mark