Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

Page 3 of 5
Mark wrote:

It was 1 1/2 months ago. Sorry for the short memory or do you always get into arguments?
It was the first time I checked out this newsgroup as I converse in many others. I didn't even realize how long ago that post was made because of this. I'm suprised of the amount of unfriendly posts I've read so far since it's such a specific topic.
--
-=SW=-

CW wrote:

Top posting ruins the natural flow of a conversation and confuses things. Now, how much scrolling have you had to do here? Quoting is supposed to give a reference point to your answer; not a restatement of the entire conversation. A quick editing to delete the unnecessary crap takes care of scrolling. I never quote more than two paragraphs, MAX. Most of the time it's less, like here.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Someone walks up to you and says "hello, how are you doing?" and you respond hello, how are you doing? I'm good, how about you? Yeah, sounds natural to me.
CW wrote:

LMAO.
You have confused an oral conversation with email.
You need to spend some time off line pal.
I shouldn't laugh, confusing the Web and computer relationships with true socialization is a growing mental illness.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

You're not a sociologist, are you?
--
gabriel

This isn't email.

CW wrote:

Mayhaps not, but it's much closer to email than speech.
Here's a clue, when you reply, and I choose to acknowledge it, will I be listening with my ears or reading with my eyes.
Understand the difference. ??
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
I use Autocad 2000 LT and Bobcad 18 to do most of my CNC programing of inlay designs.
William Lee http://home.stx.rr.com/n5wrx http://home.earthlink.net/~willeecue

Where? When?

Hire it programmed or buy it from someone that has already done it doesn't change anything. You buy a piece of software for way to high a price that won't do what you want then throw money at it trying to make into something. Kind of like buying a Ford Fiesta and adding/replacing parts 'till you have and Indy car. Do you work for the government?

You brought it up and is a frequent reason that people give for buying the full version (of AutoCAD) over LT. For things that are made predominantly by hand, 2D prints are still the way to go. For the majority of manufactured items (machinery, tooling, plastics, ect) 2D detail drawings are becoming less relevant all the time. Why spend the time making a 2D print just so when it gets to the manufacturer, he has to redraw it?

You're shooting in the dark and hitting nothing but air.

Another couple of shots. Both misses.

Yep.
I'm beginning to question your thinking ability.
Clue: To do design you don't necessarily need 3D software.
Nope. Did without for many years but I wouldn't go back to those conditions for anything.

        ?
You should go to http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ and link to the software page It is a free software program I have been using it in my shop for about a year you do have to have some knowledge of joinery though. I think this would suit your needs very well

But you need to be using it in a professional cabinet shop environment. They won't give it to you if you tell them you are just a weekend woodworker. at least that was my experience about a year ago.
--
Alex
Michael Press wrote:

Given Mike Hide's suggestion, you may be able to find a bargain price for a professional-level package.
I use DesignCAD (a 3D package) for my woodworking. I export DXF files that are, in turn, imported into my CNC control software so that I can make the drawing and produce the parts more or less seamlessly.
Unless you're planning to use the package only for tables and boxes (drawers, kitchen cabinets, and all things with rectangular, flat sides) you would do well to consider a 3D capability and features to deal with curved surfaces.
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

The subject line pretty much speaks for itself. Any recommendations? (And before the inevitable wisenhiemers jump in, "switch to a PC" is neither a recommendation nor is it ever gonna happen.)
TIA! Brian
Brian wrote:

At least accept that it's a recommendation that you don't like. You need not perpetuate the idea that of all the Mac users, only the zealots are left...
--
gabriel

While not a MacBigot (I hate those people, just as I do those who espose the superiority of Windows, UNix, Linux, or anything else for that matter) I would consider myself a diehard Mac user and evangelist - it is the perfect machine and OS for what *I* want/need it to do... I was merely trying to dissuade both well-meaning and non-well-meaning suggestions to get a PC. Been there, done that, never do it again, don't waste yer breath.

I haven't played with it yet, but have a look at Design Intuition <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21980
And get used to the "switch" cracks... When it comes to this stuff, windozers do have a lot more choice than we do. Encourage the folks that are developing for Mac. If you like, buy!
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Take a look at this site. I haven't tried any of them (dont have a Mac). http://www.caddepot.com/dcd1/CAD_Demos/Mac/CAD_Programs /

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:10:02 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote

I've used it and like it. It's not without faults, but the developer is working on fixing a few things, which should help.
Wayne