Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

Nothing wrong with ACLT but I wouldn't pay what they want for it. I use Turbocad Pro and Intellicad.

Reply to
CW

I would too if I was paying but my company pays and that is what they chose. And, I don't have to convert to take to work and plot full-scale.

Reply to
Bruce

If I'm working for somebody that uses something different, that's what I use.

And, I don't have to convert to take to work and plot full-scale.

Neither do I.

Reply to
CW

Actually this isn't entirely true. At least not in the architectural woodwork business.

UA100, cabinet drawerer...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Are you implying that performance is an issue in 2D CAD with today's computers? I don't think so.

Reply to
Bruce

?

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

The subject line pretty much speaks for itself. Any recommendations? (And before the inevitable wisenhiemers jump in, "switch to a PC" is neither a recommendation nor is it ever gonna happen.)

TIA! Brian

Reply to
Brian

Oh. I misunderstood. You must be right.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Do you prefer the old irony to the newer sort?

I've been told that the old irony was allowed to sit around and season for a good bit before being cleaned up and put into the game whilst the newer stuff is thrown into the game full of unresolved stresses that can result in severe deformation and pockets of brittleness.

Of course, when dropped from a twenty story building, both will have approximately the same impact and to one so impacted, they would appear to be very nearly indistinguishable.

That is, if they have any impact at all.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

The ability, or lack thereof, of the software makes a lot of difference.

Reply to
CW

Tue, Feb 17, 2004, 12:06am snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Michael=A0Press) claims: I'm looking for opinions/suggestions for a 2D CAD program that's inexpensive (yeah, that's vague, but figure

Reply to
J T

Please elaborate on what the hell you are talking about. You used the word performance. I guess I'm not sure what your connotation is because a plain jane PIII 700 can regen the most complex 2D AutoCAD drawings in seconds.

Now you use the word "ability" of the software. Ignoring the personification of software, what "abilities" does TurboCAD or whatever you're pushing have that AutoCAD doesn't?

Reply to
Bruce

The guy was just trying to say that whatever made AutoCAD top of the line, does not anymore. You can get pretty cheap products that do the same things.

You don't need to get all defensive about it. Just keep using AutoCAD if you so please...

Reply to
gabriel

At least accept that it's a recommendation that you don't like. You need not perpetuate the idea that of all the Mac users, only the zealots are left...

Reply to
gabriel

I will keep using it. The defensive one is him. I'm not promoting AutoCAD, he is demoting it and pushing other products.

Reply to
Bruce

I haven't played with it yet, but have a look at Design Intuition

And get used to the "switch" cracks... When it comes to this stuff, windozers do have a lot more choice than we do. Encourage the folks that are developing for Mac. If you like, buy!

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

There was a time when AutoCAD was top of the line in CAD technology. As with any technology, success breeds competition. There are enough choices of good products now that what is "best" is a subjective thing. It depends on what you want to do. 2D only? Your choices are many. Have specific tasks for this package that will require customization? AutoCAD shines here and, in the lite version, is a good value for the money. Think 3D will be more your thing? AutoCAD starts looking worse. There are far more capable programs. There are a lot of choices and things to consider when putting what could potentially be a lot of money into something like a CAD package. A lot of it is personal preference. There is no point in having something technically superior if you hate using it. What I use: Turbocad Pro. Very good 3D/2D package with the emphasis on 3D. Intellicad. So much like AutoCAD, if you can run one, you can run the other. Are either of these the best? Yes, no, maybe, it depends. BTW, of the programs mentioned, the only one that fits the original criteria of about $100.00 is intellicad in its lite version.

Reply to
CW