ANYONE USE A TABLE SAW EXTENSION FOR ROUTER USE?

Page 1 of 2
If so, do you obtain good results? Can you comment on ease of use? I am going to woodworking show in Wisconsin this weekend and am thinking of purchasing this type of router system to save on space in my shop. Any comments regarding experience on such will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....Roger
I've got a HEAVY NuCraft router table that fits like a table saw extension on my saw. I use my Vega fence and miter bars for both the table saw and the router. I also use the same on/off switch. I highly recommend this set up.
-jbb

I have mine like this and it works well. But why would you buy it? Make it....it's an enjoyable afternoon.
(pics of mine in the "old shop photos" section at URL below.
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Roger M." < snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com> wrote in message

I have the router mounted in the extension of my Unisaw - It works great.
http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/images/shop_14.jpg
Dave

am
Yup. Love it. Build it yourself though - much more fun than buying one.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Roger M. wrote:

Yep, I have one attached to the left cast iron wing of my Ridgid TS2424 saw. It was recommended that I use the router table in lieu of the left wing but I thought the wing was stout enought to support it so I just drilled some holes and bolted it to the left side of the wing rather than the saw itself. It works fine and it gives me a much bigger area on the left side of the saw if I leave the router fence off and crank the router down low. I've got a Porter Cable 7513 router in it with a Mast - R- Lift and it's as stout a combination as you could ask for.
No regrets. I bought mine at Woodcraft for around $300 (IIRC) a year or two ago.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf
Roger M. wrote:

I did for years. My experience was as follows:
Pros: Saves space Can use TS fence for router, if your fence is double sided TS is heavy, so things stay in place and vibrations are absorbed
Cons: Bit is sometimes in way when you need the real estate for TS use If the setup doesn't have a box around the router, it's not as clean as a well designed router table Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing
If you can't swing the space or cash for a rudimentary, shop built table, it's a good solution. I wouldn't spend cash on a fancy version, because you'll want a standalone version eventually.
Barry
To what Barry said I would add... Router is in the way, after being painstakingly adjusted, when you need the space for sawing

Plus if you use your tablesaw as a table or assembly area you can not get to the router... Sounds funny but you would be surprised at the number of times I had to "clean off " the tablesaw to use the router...
Bob Griffiths
wrote:>>> Sounds funny but you would be surprised at the number of times I had to "clean off " the tablesaw to use the router...<<<
Shucks, I have to clean things to find my table saw, then I have to clean off the table saw, then hopefully I can find one of my five routers. RM~

I finally replaced some open steel shelving with a closed bench height cabinet and an overhead cabinet. Now I have a place to put the Nova Comet lathe I bought several years ago.
Hey - this turning stuff is fun! I may have to put off that entertainment center my wife has been begging for :-).

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:49:47 -0800, Larry Blanchard

===================================== Turning is fun....although I do not do it as much as I used to But years ago when my sons were little leaguers I remember them begging me to teach them how to use the lathe (to Turn their own baseball bats....).... They made a couple...And I had a ball
BUT the end result is that 25-30 years later they both are confirmed woodworkers and just this Christmas one came up to me and was bitching that "his" son did not want any stink en wood bat....he wanted an Aluminum Bat.... Ah Sheet! what's today's kids coming to....?
PS...My wife is retired from Alcoa .. (Think .. Beer Cans.. ...I can support that .... but not Aluminum Bats..
Bob Griffiths.

... You had the wrong system
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Your system allows the router to be removed, and the fence to be moved, and then replace everything with perfect accuracy? What is it?
I liked the space savings, so if such an animal exists, I'd use it again.
I also used Bosch routers that allow me to pull the motor out, as well as a removable plate. Neither fix the problem with moving the fence.
Barry
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:13:25 GMT, B a r r y

FWIW, I recently got a Jointech system that I am hoping to find the time soon to install. In _theory_, that should solve the problem. In theory. -- Igor
http://www.jointech.com/tablesaw_systems.htm
keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@thankyou.com says...

OK, now I see the problem. To be honest, I haven't run into it, but maybe your work sequence and mine vary.
But can't you clamp a stop block to the fence rail(s) or the table where it doesn't interfere with sawing?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Sure.
Now, what about the router? <G>
This is a case of 1/32" in one of three planes possibly being a big deal. I'm often working on several things at once, so it's difficult to not need one machine or the other, even though one is set up for something.
I'm all ears if something is out there that'll truly solve the problem.
Barry
keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@thankyou.com says...

Mine lifts out. And I have a piece of plywood that fills the hole. What's the big problem?

B a r r y wrote:

Mine is on a "drop-in" mouting plate; if the router is in the way, I pull it out and drop a solid blank in the hole. When finished sawing drop it back in, settings are all fine.
If your router bolts or is otherwise permanently affixed to the table, this is a problem, but it isn't for me....
BTW, I got one of the previous generation Craftman with a solid cast iron left extension and an oversize MDF right extension. I pulled the factory MDF extension out of the sheet metal frame and built a router table top to fit. Works great for me, saves space in my small shop, get to re-use the TS fence, etc. I still need to box it in for dust collection purposes, though.
-j
Hi Roger,
I have been seriously considering the same thing for my shop. One option is this set-up from MLCS (phenolic mount):
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/ro utabl2.html
or this from Rockler (extruded aluminum plate):
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id "12
(watch the wrap)
Another was to build one using the Rockler extruded aluminum plate for support (around $50 IIRC):
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findprod.cfm?sku 85
I will be following this thread to see what others have done.
Lou