Anyone use a Fasttrack bandsaw fence?

This is cheaper than Delta's own BS fence. Comments on the Fasttrack fence, please. I see a picture of it in Woodcraft, but can't tell much from that!
better/worse than the Delta BS fence?
TIA
dave

Dave,
I have had that fence for a few months, and I like it a lot. It really works exceptionally well for ripping. I have a TS, but often rippricey lumber on the BS to get more stock per BF. the fence nicely adjusts for blade drift. I have not yet regretted the purchase, and i tend to usually suffer from buyer's remorse.
Sincerel,
MikeN
Took the Delta off and the Fastrack on. Works good.

Hi Dave,
How's it going, haven't talked to you in awhile? I've been pretty much out of the shop with my new son being in the picture. SWMBO swears I'll be given at least 8 hours of time (cumulative, mind you) this weekend to work in the shop. I'm planning to build Sam Allen's jointer's bench (I got a Veritas twin-screw vise and a Record 52 1/2 front vise). Hopefully I'll be able to make some progress.
Anyway, I have the Fasttrack bandsaw fence on my Jet 14" bandsaw and I like it for the most part. It is easy to adjust and was a breeze to install, assuming (which I'm sure is the case) that your Delta has the tapped bolt holes already in the table where the Fasstrack fence mounting bracket is mounted. The only slightly annoying thing about the fence that I've found is that when you tighten down the bolt the fence often shifts a little just as you get the bolt tight, necessitating a few trials to get the fence at just the right distance from the blade, etc. Also, since it is only mounted on one side, the far end of the fence does flex a little if you apply too much sideways pressure.
All in all, I've been very happy with it and it serves its function nicely.
Mike
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

thanks to all for your comments
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

http://www.woodworkingfasttrak.com /
The one thing I don't like about the Fasttrack BS fence is that you can't cut on both sides of the blade. With the Fasttrack you can only cut on the outside of the fence.
Also, check out the Mule fence at mulecab.com. Woodpecker used to make a really nice fence and table system, but discontinued it.
Layne
Usual disclaimers apply.
On 19 Sep 2003 14:32:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) wrote:

Why do you say that? While you cannot slide the fence by the blade you can certainly place it on either side. John
Layne wrote:

John,
Take a look at the Fasttrrack fence. While you can certainly place the fence on either side of the of the blade you can't guide your wood on either side of the fence. Only the outside of the Fasttrack fence is flat and unobstructed. With a fence that's flat on either side allows you to cut on the outside or inside of the blade. It's not that big a deal but having that flexibility is nice. Some people may prefer cutting on the inside of the fence.
Layne
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:20:47 GMT, John Siegel

Layne, thanks for this info!
dave
Layne wrote:

Layne Yes the fence is an inverted L shape. However I think you could flip it end for end and put the mounting clamp on the other side and get what you want. Certainly not as simple as just moving it to the other side of the blade but should be doable. I haven't tried it but I think all the clamps parts are symmetrical so it should work. Alternatively you could move the mounting plate to the rear instead of the front of the table and thus put the fence on the other side of the blade. You could also put a wood facing on the inside of the L and make that side flat as well. John
Layne wrote:

I have one, you can just turn the fence around. Undo the thumbscrews that hold the fence to the angle bracket (the same ones that allow you to slide the fence parallel to the blade, not those that adjust the distance between the blade and the fence), reverse the thumbscrews/bolts in the bracket and slide the fence back on with the flat face reversed. It can't take more than a minute. This allows you to get past the blade without removing it too.
It's hard to clearly explain, look at the fence for a minute and it should be obvious.