Anyone Tried This Saw Blade Storage System?

Page 1 of 3
I have five 10" saw blades, several 7" blades, and a big pile of saber / reciprocating saw blades that I would like to organize better. This system caught my eye:
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v499-6004/storage_and_organization
It seems a bit pricey, but it might be worth it to reduce the chaos in my shop significantly.
Anyone try this & have any comments? I'm interested in whether it's reasonably sturdy, and how well the reciprocating saw blade inserts work. Storing circular saw blades is pretty simple, but the reciprocating blades come in a huge range of sizes & shapes. It's impossible to tell how many blades one insert might hold.
Thanks!
Doug White
Doug White wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Ditto. If you're really anal, you might want to separate your blades with a piece of cardboard or maybe even thin plywood with a hole in the middle.
Luigi

out of scraps. It won't cost a thing. It is just a box. And if you love plastic, there is lots of plastic boxes available. You just need some cardboard or thin plywood to separate the blades.
"Doug White" wrote:

Building your own blade storage using 3/8" plywood is a good winter time project.
Built several as follows:
Blank out some 11-1/2" blanks.
Using a router and a circle jig, cut a 10-1/4" dia circle out of half the blanks.
Glue a solid and a circle blank together, knock off the corners, add a 1/2" dia hanging hole in a corner and a 1/4"-20 x 3/4" flat head machine screw with a fender washer and a wing nut to retain the saw blade and you are good to go.
Add a coat of shellac to prevent dirt marks.
Grab a beer and admire your work.
Have fun.
Lew

Come on, you can do better than that.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Doug White wrote:

No and yes...
Other than if one were porting stuff around, I see nothing much at all to recommend this for shop use and if you want a box, well, you _do_ have something to use those blades on, don't you????

Yes, and every free second I have to use my tools is already spoken for. I have better things to do with my limited shop time than make boxes for my saw blades. I may not have time to touch my saw for 3 or 4 months at a crack. That means that finding my saw blades in good condition (no rust, no dust, and sharp) without having to rummage for them is a good thing. I have a couple places where I store various table saw blades, but nothing really useful for reciprocating saw blades.
Doug White
"Doug White" wrote:

Sounds like you are looking for affirmation, not commentary.
Lew

I looked at those, but decided on the Blade Runner style instead.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004233/8607/Blade-Runner-Storage-Case.aspx
It fits in well with my dado sets and I already had a similar case for my 7" blades, from a cheap set. It doesn't solve the problem for other style blades, though.
On 12/26/10 5:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I think that would work great if you're taking blades with you to a job site, as it looks like it would protect well and could be thrown around a bit.
For for shop use, I would hate to have to undo that wingnut and remove all the blades just to get to the one I want. I had a cymbal case like that and I hated it every time I had to use it. I know have a case where each cymbal just drops into the top with dividers in between.
I keep my blades on a dowel and even though there is no wingnut to remove, I still can't stand having to take blades off to get to the one I want.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I keep my blades stacked on the lower shelf of my work bench stowed in the original cardboard sleeve they came in. The sleeves are even labled. Works well for me.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I've already got one of those, and it seems like the circular saw blade I want is always on the inside. I have a Shopsmith, with a large arbor, so I had to make special plastic washers to hold those blades. Basically, if you have more than 2 blades (one on each side), it's not very convenient to use.
Doug White

I generally don't change blades all that often and when I do it's usually for a dado setup. They came in a similar case, so I'm juggling blades anyway; not really that big of a deal for me.
I like these because they _are_ rugged. My shop still isn't close to being set up, and the garage is a mess with too much stuff stacked around. I don't want expensive blades banging around. When I do get set up I'll probably "file" blades in some sort of drawer in the extension table. Some of the ideas offered here give me some great ideas for that.

That might be a good idea. A file box or a file cabinet would provide divided storage for table saw blades. Add some cardboard or foam if you're concerned about the blades banging together.
My table saw storage box isn't much different.
Puckdropper
On 28 Dec 2010 05:15:44 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Actually, I really liked the first picture in the WoodSmithShop article (laminated hardboard carriers in dados), except built into a drawer in the extension table (why waste all that floor space?).

Puckdropper wrote:

you have multiple table saws that you have to store somehow?
plans or pictures?

Sure, it's a convenient way to store blades. They're always ready for use.
On 12/26/2010 12:16 PM, Doug White wrote:

Short of driving three blocks and taking a picture, here's a quickie sketchup version of mine:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/SawBladeBox.jpg
Will hold all the blades I own safely and costs about 30 minutes of time with a dado stack and leftover 3/4" plywood.
If you have a shop, and the talent to use it, you can't go wrong rolling your own ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

This is a pdf file from WoodSmithShop with engineering drawings and step by step instructions.
http://tinyurl.com/2aj3unw
Lew