anyone tried "ergomates" instead of anti-fatigue mats?

At the local walking store saw a product called "Ergomates". Saw them again recently in the Acklands Grainger catalog. Basically it appears to be a form of anti-fatigue mat that straps over your existing footwear.

have two models, the "commercial" in white, or the "industrial" in black.

Anyone ever use these?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Haven't tried them, but $53?!? Sheesh. You can get some really high-end cushioned insoles for that, or there was a tip in some recent magazine where a guy just cut chunks of anti-fatigue mat (or foam camping mat, softer but much cheaper) and glued them to the soles of his "shop shoes". For $53, you could cover a good part of your shop floor with real anti-fatigue mats, which serve the added bonus of protecting any dropped hand tools, and insulating your feet and your shop from the cold ground. The cheapest source I found for anti-fatigue matting when I was looking recently was at northerntool.com, where I got 16 sq ft for $16 shipped. These are interlocking tiles of foam flooring. If I needed a little larger size, the local Dick's sporting goods or Sports Authority had 20 sq ft (I think) of "gym floor mat" for about $20, and I also saw

48 sq ft packages of exercise mat go for $35 or so (shipped) on eBay. "Ergomates" are an interesting idea, but my first impression is that they're ugly, overpriced, and an unnecessary hassle. Sorry to butt in when I haven't used this particular product, but hopefully my time spent shopping around for an inexpensive alternative will be helpful to someone else. Andy
Reply to
Andy

Andy wrote: [snipped for brevity]

I'm holding out for the introduction of the Kim Jong Il model. A solid

4" thick. Comes with a CD of Elton John's Yellow Brick Road.

I would not want those things dangling on the bottom of my feet. I cannot imagine them improving 'sure footing'... but I haven't tried them.. just a hunch.

I'm happy with the honeycomb rubber mats from Costco. The sawdust falls in the holes and prolongs the 'sure footedness' of the mat. As mentioned, they do a great job protecting dropped tools... not that *I* ever drop anything. My only beef is that the 'interlocking' of those mats, isn't worth a hill of beans. Then again, at today's bean prices?.. I digress

Robatoy

Nope- and they wouldn't hold up to any use I'd have for them. Best bet always has been, and still is, quality workboots. I like Wolverines, a lot of folks swear by Redwings. They cost a bit of $$$, but not signifigantly more than most kids pay for tennis shoes. Get the right shoes, and anti-fatigue mats and the like are unneccesary- I used to just get cheap boots, but have come to realise that they're tools just like anything else- and you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Prometheus

Tue, Oct 24, 2006, 3:19pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@mail.usask.ca (Chris=A0Friesen) doth sayeth: At the local walking store

How do they keep it from wandering away? How many feet does it have? Inquiring minds want to know.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

It's made of sentient pearwood and the previous owner is buried in the basement so it never wants to go anywhere.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep. One thing that I've found to be *very* comfortable -- and not terribly expensive, either -- is ordinary run-of-the-mill GI boots.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Next I suppose you'll be claiming that there have been sightings of orangutan hanging around the store saying, "Oook."

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'll grant you that one- I used to have a pair of UN boots that were really nice- but I haven't seen them in steel toe. Think I paid $15 for them at an Army/Navy store.

Reply to
Prometheus

Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 8:19am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: It's made of sentient pearwood

Damn, that's an expensive building.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 8:51am (EDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@mail.usask.ca (Chris=A0Friesen) doth sayeth: Next I suppose you'll be claiming that there have been sightings of orangutan hanging around the store saying, "Oook."

You're pronouncing it wrong; it should be Oook, not Oook.