Anyone test strength of TBII Extend vs. regular TBII?

Page 2 of 4
JOAT Rote:

Isn't the use of false and religious together redundant?
UA100, dropping his goad and backing away from the screen...
He chose to pull an unrelated definition for miscreant. You go hold his hand while he searches the Funk and Wagnalls again.
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Homer wrote:

Hey! How about a double date? You and your special friend "Gurgling Jules" and T and me?
UA100
Are you buying or are going Dutch?
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

You could always go old school and use hide glue.
p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p_j) writes:

That is not really slow acting in a useful way: You have to cloamp for a long time but you cannot work it for more than a minute because as soon as it cools down it doest work any more.

You can use different bloom strengths, change the temp of the workshop or add urea and end up with long work times.
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:42:12 +0100, Juergen Hannappel

I rather like that. It gives a high initial tack on cooling. Although it's not enugh to avoid the need to clamp, it does help to stop things sliding around when you're putting the clamps on.
I find that a lot of hide glue glue-ups can be assembled on the bench, then a simple strap or rope clamp is enough to hold them overnight. White PVA would need each joint clamped individually.
-- What ? Me ? Evil Dictator of Iraq ? Nah mate, I'm just a Hobbit, honest
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) writes:

Exactly.
For "everyday" use i take "Ponal", a white glue and sometimes bone ore hide glue, which i buy in pellet form.

Epoxy and hot melt glue or instant glue as necessity dictates. Sometimes contact cement.
or liquid hide glue. not QUITE so old school, but still has a long assembly time. couldn't find it at my local HD, but what else is new. I'll check around town. thanks.
dave
p_j wrote:

Woodcraft and Rockler both carry Titebond liquid hide glue. I have found when glue-shopping at Rockler that it's wise to check the expiration date.
I _think_ I've seen it at Lowe's, but I could have hallucinated that.
Sears used to sell it, too (with their name on it). Not sure if they still do. Check dates there also.
Thanks, Doug. I'm 4 blocks from a Sears. Lowe's is over 30 miles until they get a new one built not far from me.
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Nope - it's there at mine... Better up the dosage - no hallucinations yet. :)
Doug Miller wrote:

Nup, right there with the other stuff. Only comes in small bottles. No gallon jugs of liquid hide glue.
I didn't buy any because it was very, very dusty.
EVERYTHING gets dusty in my shop after cutting mdf or after a sanding session.
But I know what you mean; you want it fresh.
dave
Silvan wrote:

Rick Chamberlain wrote:

It's the big lead up to when Bowel Area Dave slits his car tires to see at what high rate of speed they fail.
Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
UA100

What, exactly, was your purpose in conducting, and comparing the results of, two utterly meaningless tests?

Well, no kidding. The end grain wicked all the glue out of the joint. That's the expected result when attempting to make such a joint, which of course is why the mortise-and-tenon joint was invented.

No surprise there either.

This is the expected behavior from a glue-starved joint.

Assumes facts not in evidence. It's not possible to assess the strength of the glue, because there wasn't any in the joint to begin with.

You should be more concerned about why you expected such a joint to hold. The results were _exactly_ what I'd expect from a joint constructed as you describe.

Is it indeed? Reality dictates that one not attempt to make butt joints in end grain without some sort of reinforcement (mortise & tenon, biscuit, spline, half-lap, rabbet, what have you) so as to provide long grain to long grain glue surfaces, and that if one persists in doing so anyway, that one should expect exactly such joint failures as you have experienced.

what part of "test" didn't you understand, Mr. Fountain of Knowledge? This wasn't a project, it was a "destructive" test. sigh. Go back to one of the other newsgroups and impress them with your intelligence.
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

It was a meaningless test, because its design guaranteed that no relevant, useful information could be obtained from it -- unless you intend to actually build furniture using unreinforced end-grain joints such as the ones you "tested".