Anyone purchased measured drawing from New Yankee?

Has anyone purchased any of Norms measured drawings? I'm thinking about buying the plans for the CD storage case. Are they just a drawing or do they have some narrative to them listing the steps you should take? I'm asking because I might need to buy the video along with it if there are no instructions included in the drawing.

On another note, finished my very first WW project this weekend. A small bookshelf with 2 shelves out of birch plywood. So far so good.

Reply to
Christian Lair

I've purchased several. In fact, I'm waiting on one to arrive. They are pretty complete, at least sufficient for me and my skills.

Some I've used for ideas and modified. Some I've used "as is." One I discarded after later finding something that appealed to me more.

As to the "need" for tapes, it depends. I've never purchased their tape but HAVE taped some episodes, then reviewed the tape once or thrice. In fact, for the "Hall Seat" I actually observed that the "antique original" mounted a mirror differently than Norm did and did it the "antique original" way, thinking it better. I'm told that there is NO difference between what airs and what's on the tape.

I saw the episode where the CD cabinet was made and, in my opinion, I'd think the "measured drawing" should be sufficient. But maybe that's just me and my skill level.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

I did the Children's Playhouse - video and plans. I'd invest the extra bucks for the video. The plans are just that - plans and a materials list. If you're a newbie, like me, the video helps (but only a little bit.)

Reply to
tnfkajs

The plans are just measured drawings and a material list. They're sufficient for most people, but they're not meant to be a tutorial. I gotta say they are some of the better drawings available, they are very detailed to some I've gotten.

That said, I've never followed them to the letter, and always adapted them. But I'd have little trouble following a sketch on the back of a napkin, that's what my wife usually provides. :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Yes.

If you can read and understand engineering drawings sometimes known as "blue prints", you are home free.

If not, the video would probably be a good idea.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I got a napkin sketch from LOML for an entire front hall remodel, including removing and rebuilding a wall, new closet doors etc. Ended up looking just like her sketch when done, except it was all straight, and was a vast improvement over the 50 year old original.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I have purchased a couple. I never bought a video but I did record the show and watch it several times before starting out on the project. In the old days it was easy - you went to the HGTV web site to see when the show you wanted was going to air (they used to post them a month or so in advance), then set your VCR. Usually by the time you taped the show your plans would arrive and you were good to go. Now, I might consider buying the video. Of course I have all the episodes that I think I *might* ever build already taped...

-Chris

Reply to
Chris