anyone know return policy at home depot?

They still do, and bless them for it. My wife bought a pair of expensive shoes in thier Las Vegas store. 4 months later, the heel broke on them. We went to Nordstrom in Dallas to buy a new pair (NOT to return the others). She told the clerk the story, how she loved the old pair and how it was a shame she had to replace them. He gave her his card and said "Bring them in, we will give you a credit. Our shoes shouldn't do that. No receipt needed."

They gave her the credit. Amazing customer service.

The "Free Rentals" is why a lot of stores take down your license number or phone number, so they can see if there is a pattern.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

lessons. Take responsibility for > your mistakes go back and buy the tool you need.

Cheap compared to some wrong buys.

Back in 1983 I had a company car and could order certain models, choose color, etc. I saw a color chip and really liked a bronze one and ordered the car. The car was delivered to a local dealer and prepped for me and I was called to pick it up.

Took one look and it reminded me of a UPS truck. Drove it as a company car for three years and then it was such a good buyout (half what dealer blue book would be) I bought the ugly duckling (became my wife's car at that time) and kept it for another eleven years. Never once in 14 years did I like he appearance of that car, but it was reliable and low cost transportation. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Always the best kind. It took me many years and a lot of money to get over the appearance/performance package needs on vehicles. Wish I'd learned earlier that a low cost vehicle that runs reliably, instead of fast, was the best bet. Took me too long to grow up, I guess.

Charlie Self

I think I know that color. Was it a GM product?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Olds Cutlass. I decided to run it until it died and left t he "good" car home more and took this one. Left work one day, started the car, moved 3 feet and it died. Took the company pickup home, bought a new car that night and called a junk yard the next day. Fourteen years and 190,000 miles.

Probably will do the same with what is now my wife's car. I want to get two more years out of it (a '91) and run until it just won't go. It has 138,000 miles, runs great and I still like driving it. I did have the AC fixed. Everything still works. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The newest scam in my area goes even a step further...

HD reboxes the product...if you tell them there's nothing wrong with it...and they sell it for a discount. They can't sell it as new, of course.

The customer that took the item back got his project done...but he really liked the item. So he waits for it to get reshelved...and then buys it again...at the discounted price.

Folks at HD...and other stores with this kind of policy...better wise up...and in a hurry.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Trent©

I return allot of stuff to lowes (I also buy allot) and they take it back for store credit, because I am too lazy to save receipts (which I generally turn around and spend in that visit).

Since they have such a liberal return policy, I often over-buy in quantity or buy an item that I think "might" work, because I know that I can return it, and another trip is an hour round-trip. I return perhaps a 5-10% of what I buy there.

My returns are generally small stuff... bought too many, fitting did not work as nicely as I would have liked, occasional breakage, etc: nothing unethical in my book. But I wonder when doing about one return (perhaps several items) every month will make me a marked man.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Well, my policy is, been there, done that but have no reason to return. I hate those kinds of stores. I spend my money at the local yard. I actually get to spend it again and again when it's in the local economy.

mike ;>)

Reply to
Mike

Rant mode on- Although I have never returned a tool or anything for that matter after using it for a "one off" I would not hesitate to return anything for lack of performance. When there really is truth in advertising I will then blame myself and eat the $$ after throwing the offending piece in the trash. I have learned to ignore most marketing and advertising because it is such bull. I don't know how those people sleep at night. Proposed ad- Although this widget is made with inferior products and assembled by unknowing uncaring people who only put one screw in each item all day every day, day after day and cannot wait for the whistle to blow it should work for a short period of time and then render itself useless. Oh yea "actual results may vary" When a product actually works the way it is supposed to and then some, you see very little advertising for it, because the don't need it. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule/statement. Rant mode off-

Reply to
Wayne K.

Nordsrom built a store on property that used to house a tire store.

One day a man rolled in some tires, and asked for a refund, because 'he had bought them here'. Nordstrom gave him his money back, and reaped publicity worth thousands.

Google "Nordsrom tire refund" for more....

Reply to
brian roth

They do seem to have an impressive customer service orientation. I had a software consulting project at the Philadelphia Stock Exchange - rented an unfurnished apartment and rode the apartment's shuttle bus to the King of Prussia Mall looking for a couple of futons and some kitchen basics. I'd never heard of Nordstrom's before; and was greeted by a concierge at the door who offered to help me find what I needed.

Turned out that Nordstrom's wasn't the place to buy any of what I was after; but by the time I left the store I had a list of other stores in the Philly area (with phone numbers and maps to help me get there!) who /did/ have what I needed - and as I learned over time, the best prices on what I was after. It was an awesome experience.

[Before I left Philly, I stopped back and got the store manager's card and wrote a short letter of appreciation for that guidance - and about a two weeks later received a very nice letter from the manager letting me know that the concierge had been given a raise based on my experience/letter.]

A whole string of similar experiences led me to decide that Philadelphia was one of my four favorite cities in the World - not at all what I'd expected when I went there.

But even for Philly, the Nordstrom experience was exceptional.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

A relative of mine was a polio victum and has two different size feet. Norstroms will sell them them matching different size shoes for the price of one pair. I was a loyal Norstrom's customer before I found this out, but it has only reminded me that excellent service is always more important than rock bottom prices!

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

There is one heck of a lot of difference between retailing shoes and retailing woodworking equipment. Nordstrom probably has a markup of between

200-400% and can afford to give away a pair or two to maintain goodwill. BORG on the other hand, is probably living with a 5-15% margin, and when they loose an item, there goes the profit on probably a dozen sales.

Gary (the CPA)

Reply to
Gary

Me either.

The funny thing is that I rarely get an argument when I state "Didn't meet expectations" when returning a tool.

I work for my money and expect manufacturers to give me what I paid for. On the same level, I have no problems with exchanging the tool for a different model or brand, or store credit.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I do as well.

What's interesting about dealing with the smaller guy, is that you can often exchange a poor performing tool even when a "No Returns or exchanges" sign is posted.

Rules can bend when they see you in the store on a semi-regular basis.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Which Rona?

Rick Gibs> Don't know about home depot but my son just tried to take back a bbq to Rona

Reply to
Eddie Munster

  1. The saw operated exactly as it should?
  2. Home Depot gave you a fair deal and did not deceive you?
  3. Did you rent the saw?
  4. The decision to return it is therefore based solely on your personal preferences?

If the answer to all four is Yes, then ebay, here we come. No matter how liberal the return policy, IMHO your responsibility is to accept the fact that they sold it in good faith and are not bound to make good simply bacause you changed your mind.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Uh, Home Depot is a big boy--they're quite capable of deciding what they will and will not accept as a return. Whether they're "bound" or not is irrelevant.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Boo freekin Hoo

Reply to
Colonel Andy

The quality of their service and merchandise is absolutely first rate. My wife loves them due to their "personal shopper" concept of service (the same person will assist you throughout the store for your entire shopping trip, if desired, helping you find all the items you are looking for and to coordinate items if you request that)...that took a bit of getting used to for me, but I found that I like it too and it helps you finish your shopping much more quickly as well. Too bad there isn't one closer to me...

George

Reply to
George