anyone know return policy at home depot?

Here's a novel idea: pick up the phone, call them, and ask. You don't even have to get out the phone book -- the number is printed on the receipt.
They should - as long as it isn't broken or really damaged. I bought a Kerosun heater from them, used it for one tank of kero, and realized I didn't want the stink and hassle of it in my shop/garage. I reboxed it, along with all the paperwork and parts, and took it back. They gave me my money back in full, no questions other than "was it working ok?" You shouldn't have a problem.
Nick B

I knew a woman like that one time. She would go to the dress shop and select a dress. After wearing it a coouple times she would return it saying that it didn't fit well. It was her standard practice with clothing. She knew that the stores were prepared to swallow this behavior. Meantime, the store cannot resell the returned item as it is used.
Dick

I recall an article (perhaps in Vanity Fair) a few years back about a high-end NY boutique that allowed this sort of nonsense. They're not in business any more.
djb
i knew lots of 'nordstrom closet' women in seattle when i lived there. dont know if its still that way but at the time nordstroms would take anything back pretty much no questions asked.
randy

As an "OLD" retired retailer who now is completely satisfied spending hours in the shop producing nothing more then sawdust I really have to voice my opinion on returns...
No on second hand I will not.... My Blood pressure is fine now...why raise it !
Bob Griffiths

They still do, and bless them for it. My wife bought a pair of expensive shoes in thier Las Vegas store. 4 months later, the heel broke on them. We went to Nordstrom in Dallas to buy a new pair (NOT to return the others). She told the clerk the story, how she loved the old pair and how it was a shame she had to replace them. He gave her his card and said "Bring them in, we will give you a credit. Our shoes shouldn't do that. No receipt needed."
They gave her the credit. Amazing customer service.
The "Free Rentals" is why a lot of stores take down your license number or phone number, so they can see if there is a pattern.
Jay

I return allot of stuff to lowes (I also buy allot) and they take it back for store credit, because I am too lazy to save receipts (which I generally turn around and spend in that visit).
Since they have such a liberal return policy, I often over-buy in quantity or buy an item that I think "might" work, because I know that I can return it, and another trip is an hour round-trip. I return perhaps a 5-10% of what I buy there.
My returns are generally small stuff... bought too many, fitting did not work as nicely as I would have liked, occasional breakage, etc: nothing unethical in my book. But I wonder when doing about one return (perhaps several items) every month will make me a marked man.
-Steve
Rant mode on- Although I have never returned a tool or anything for that matter after using it for a "one off" I would not hesitate to return anything for lack of performance. When there really is truth in advertising I will then blame myself and eat the $$ after throwing the offending piece in the trash. I have learned to ignore most marketing and advertising because it is such bull. I don't know how those people sleep at night. Proposed ad- Although this widget is made with inferior products and assembled by unknowing uncaring people who only put one screw in each item all day every day, day after day and cannot wait for the whistle to blow it should work for a short period of time and then render itself useless. Oh yea "actual results may vary" When a product actually works the way it is supposed to and then some, you see very little advertising for it, because the don't need it. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule/statement. Rant mode off-

Me either.
The funny thing is that I rarely get an argument when I state "Didn't meet expectations" when returning a tool.
I work for my money and expect manufacturers to give me what I paid for. On the same level, I have no problems with exchanging the tool for a different model or brand, or store credit.
Barry
snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com (Jay) wrote in message

Nordsrom built a store on property that used to house a tire store.
One day a man rolled in some tires, and asked for a refund, because 'he had bought them here'. Nordstrom gave him his money back, and reaped publicity worth thousands.
Google "Nordsrom tire refund" for more....
(Jay) wrote in message

There is one heck of a lot of difference between retailing shoes and retailing woodworking equipment. Nordstrom probably has a markup of between 200-400% and can afford to give away a pair or two to maintain goodwill. BORG on the other hand, is probably living with a 5-15% margin, and when they loose an item, there goes the profit on probably a dozen sales.
Gary (the CPA)

Boo freekin Hoo
xrongor wrote:

They do seem to have an impressive customer service orientation. I had a software consulting project at the Philadelphia Stock Exchange - rented an unfurnished apartment and rode the apartment's shuttle bus to the King of Prussia Mall looking for a couple of futons and some kitchen basics. I'd never heard of Nordstrom's before; and was greeted by a concierge at the door who offered to help me find what I needed.
Turned out that Nordstrom's wasn't the place to buy any of what I was after; but by the time I left the store I had a list of other stores in the Philly area (with phone numbers and maps to help me get there!) who /did/ have what I needed - and as I learned over time, the best prices on what I was after. It was an awesome experience.
[Before I left Philly, I stopped back and got the store manager's card and wrote a short letter of appreciation for that guidance - and about a two weeks later received a very nice letter from the manager letting me know that the concierge had been given a raise based on my experience/letter.]
A whole string of similar experiences led me to decide that Philadelphia was one of my four favorite cities in the World - not at all what I'd expected when I went there.
But even for Philly, the Nordstrom experience was exceptional.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

The quality of their service and merchandise is absolutely first rate. My wife loves them due to their "personal shopper" concept of service (the same person will assist you throughout the store for your entire shopping trip, if desired, helping you find all the items you are looking for and to coordinate items if you request that)...that took a bit of getting used to for me, but I found that I like it too and it helps you finish your shopping much more quickly as well. Too bad there isn't one closer to me...
George

i forgot about this, but i bought some (expensive) hiking shoes from nordstroms once and they gave me 2 different WIDTHS to accomodate my feet. pretty cool.
randy
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote in message

Well, my policy is, been there, done that but have no reason to return. I hate those kinds of stores. I spend my money at the local yard. I actually get to spend it again and again when it's in the local economy.
mike ;>)
On 28 May 2004 08:48:36 -0700, jim snipped-for-privacy@mindless.com (Mike) wrote:

I do as well.
What's interesting about dealing with the smaller guy, is that you can often exchange a poor performing tool even when a "No Returns or exchanges" sign is posted. <G>
Rules can bend when they see you in the store on a semi-regular basis.
Barry

1. The saw operated exactly as it should? 2. Home Depot gave you a fair deal and did not deceive you? 3. Did you rent the saw? 4. The decision to return it is therefore based solely on your personal preferences?
If the answer to all four is Yes, then ebay, here we come. No matter how liberal the return policy, IMHO your responsibility is to accept the fact that they sold it in good faith and are not bound to make good simply bacause you changed your mind.
Bob