Anyone know of good uses for old 2-liter bottles?

Page 2 of 3

I would suggest that you review your inorganic chemistry before pontificating.
Aluminum metal reacts with either strong base or strong acid to produce hydrogen.
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:28:48 -0700, mac davis

<http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p408&cat=2,2280,33159&ap=1>
I've also filled them with water and used for thermal mass under the greenhouse raised growing beds (but I now use 4-litre milk jugs).
But mostly, I return them to the recycling centre and get my quarter back.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

Wow.. kind of pricey... I can't imagine that they work any differently than the HF ones??

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I have been using 2L bottles as fence post covers for years! I cut the top off down far enough to make the sides straight, and flip them over and slide them down over the tops of the posts, (usually a nice tight slip-fit). Seems to keep the posts from splitting and the birds from messing on them. I also have the neatest looking, round topped, (I use the bottles with the seperate platic base glued to them), pasture fenceposts around! Tim Q
Make your own soda! Head down to your local homebrew shop and ask for a soda making kit. You'll get a bottle of soda extract (comes in many different flavors) instructions and some yeast. After you mix up the extract, water and sugar (you can use real sugar, not corn syrup) you add a little bit of yeast, seal the bottle and store in a cool, dark place for a few days.
The yeast starts eating the sugar, producing CO2 which will pressurize the bottle and carbonate your soda. It will add a little bit of alcohol to the mix as well but only something like .1%
Of course you can also use them to condition (carbonate) beer too, but the soda setup is much cheaper (~$5) if you're not already into homebrewing.
Cheers,
Josh
TwoGuns wrote:

Do you have boat? You can keep the cap on them and throw in whereever there is unused void space for addtional flotation.
You can put a little sodium hydroxide solution in them then add aluminum foil to make hydrogen to fill your Hindenberg replica. Leave the cap off and collect the gas in a plastic bag. (The solution will heat to boiling and lye is nasty, exercise appropriate precautions.)
You can toss them into your attic for extra insulation.
--

FF

Disposible funnel - for car oil, getting the thinner back in the can, etc.
Good for paint. Cut em in half. Turn the neck upside down into the base and use it as a funnel to pour paint into the bottom part out of the gallon can. When youve used up most of the paint, use the neck part as a funnel to pour into a mason jar.

We no longer have a pet rabbit, but filling them with water and freezing them makes a great way for a rabbit to cool off on a very hot day. They stretch out beside them for a nap...
Punch a few small holes on the sides, cut the top off and sink them into your pumpkin or melon hills as a great way to get water to the root systems.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:11:28 -0600, Dave Balderstone

...would explain why you don't have a pet rabbit anymore.

Yes, that also, is bad for rabbits.
Dave "Or, did I miss a topic-shift somewhere?" Hinz

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Rabbits... the *NEW* push stick.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:29:15 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I thought that was cats.

Cats are *SO* nineties...

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:20:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Dead rabbit pushstick from the 90s: <http://www.whipplesargent.com/whipjig5.pdf
Sherman used to post on the wreck.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

Uh, Weegee?
That's a dead rabbit PULL stick.
Tsk, tsk...

Sell them back to the french !!

TwoGuns (in snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to | come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If | any of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing | about it.
Add four ounces or so of water and a handful of dry ice pieces. Screw the top on tight and toss 'em where the kids /aren't/.

Some clown at Ga tech did that this week and is now up on terrorism charges , and thats true ........

mike hide (in FvGdncJ_Go snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com) said:
| || said: || ||| Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying ||| to come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for ||| years. If any of you have a good idea about this I would ||| appreciate hearing about it. || || Add four ounces or so of water and a handful of dry ice pieces. || Screw the top on tight and toss 'em where the kids /aren't/. | | Some clown at Ga tech did that this week and is now up on terrorism | charges , and thats true ........
Amazing - It used to be SOP for Atlantans to go out on December 31 and fire their favorite pop gun into the midnight sky. Sounds like all those yankee transplants finally managed to "civilize" 'em. Next, they'll be shuttin' down the Varsity as "subversive".

Friend of mine used to work for Coca-cola as a graphic designer in their building on the edge of East LA. Cool building, looks like a ship.
The roof was the open air lunch area.
On Cinco de Mayo, Coke forbid their employees from going out on the roof, and swept up the slugs that fell from the sky the next morning.
djb