Anyone know of good uses for old 2-liter bottles?

Page 1 of 3

Maybe this has already been addressed here but I have been trying to come up with good uses for two liter plastic bottles for years. If any of you have a good idea about this I would appreciate hearing about it.
Just some of the things I do with them: As a bachelor with a deep freeze I wash them out and fill with water and place in the bottom part of my freezer. On a couple occasions when the power went off the frozen 2 litter water bottles kept the food from
spoiling. Also makes a good supply of survival water if needed.
They make great bird & squirrel feeders with a few modifications.
Screwing the caps to the bottom of shelves in my shop allows me storage
space for things like nails, screws or just about anything that fits in
the mouth. Since the caps on the 16oz and 1 liter bottles have the same
threads I can use the appropriate sizes. Transparency make for easy I.D. of contents.
Make great rockets with the proper air pump etc.
Great molds for wax candles. Leave in the bottle to protect against insects and rodents until needed. To remove use utility knife to cut around the bottle then place in hot water and pull bottle apart after a
minute or so.
Remove the caps and crimp four or more small diameter wires on the cap with the slightly (inwardly) curved wires extending into the bottle three inches or so. Place a dollop of peanut butter or other bait inside the bottle and you have a great live trap for mice and other small critters. Makes a great execution chamber with appropriate chemicals and cap on or transportation method to a safe release area.
These are just a few of the uses I have found. I would appreciate any ideas anyone can add.
T.I.A, Dennis
TwoGuns wrote:

I return 'em for a nickel. <G>
Barry

They make a halfway decent suppressor for your gun.

How DO you sight down the barrel or through the scope with a two litre bottle taped around the muzzle?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

I throw them into my trash can when I am done - they make nice filler to make sure I am getting my money's worth from my trash collectors. Sorry, I could just not resist. :-)
Ocassionally, in the summer, I will wash them out, fill them with water and freeze them. When it is frozen, I give it to my dog and he lays on it under a shade tree to keep cool. He really seems to like it.

My "grandpuppies" as my daughter calls them, love the noise and the speed of an empty bottle over the floor. When they've finally bitten and perforated it, it goes back to the shredder at the store for a 10 cent refund.
I used to do that with the 1gal plastic milk cartons, put in ice cubes, screw on the cap and give to the german shepard. The ice rattling in there pissed him off and he'd chew them suckers to pieces with a vengence, then look at me all satisfied once they were annihilated.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

We use several of these during the summer to water plants:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberC29

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
They make great reactive targets.....Fill em with water and the kinetic's demonstration of a large calliber bullet hitting them can be rather spectacular. Depending if you enjoy that sort of thing. Shotguns make a pretty good show too.
You can hang them from a tree with a bit of twine too.
Another item is take and shred enough alluminium foil to cover the bottom, add a certain liquid (I'm not enabling any injuries here, if you know what it is it's not my fault if you injure yourself) and the ensuing chemical reaction can be interesting. As the reaction releases gas it fills and expands the bottle. It's impressive how big some of them can get.
To show I'm not totally destruction oriented. You can make some pretty nice bird chasers for your garden from them too. Use a utility knife to make cuts down the length of the bottle with cross cuts of about 1/2 inch or so on the top and bottom of the initial slice (this makes a flap you can turn out) Do this the entire way around the bottle and turn them all out about the same amount. You should end up with a bottle that looks like a paddle wheel...You can then turn the the bottle upside down and slide it down onto a dowl rod pole and use a finish nail to tack them down, after you drive the nail thru the middle of the bottom of the bottle wiggle it to loosen it up so it turns freely then paint to taste....put it in the garden and when the wind blows it spins...
There are a couple of diffent ways to make the pivot mechanism for better spinning action....

Target area gets pretty muddy after not too many, though. Metal paint cans full of water are fun - large and slow projectiles launch the lid pretty well, column of water, lots of fun.
I googled this and there are lots of fun things you can do with Al. Interestingly the best info I found on pyrotechnics with Al was on a government website!
put some strips of aluminum foil in the bottle and add a little HCL ("The Works" toilet bowl cleaner works real well) tighten the cap, give a shake, and toss out back. In a few minuites there will be a real big "BANG" when the bottle explodes from the reaction. be sure to stay clear! --dave

You'll want to review your inorganic chemistry. It's hydroxides you're after if you want to generate hydrogen. Lye is the preferred for its punch by weight. Drano and some other drain cleaners even include some aluminum chips for the foaming and the mechanical action it generates.
George wrote:

IIUC, That, and variations on exploding pop bottles that rely on dry ice, liquid nitrogen or vinegar and baking soda are all considered ex- plosive devices under Federal Law. Not being concerned with such issues as common sense, the feds may well prosecute, seeking prison time.
It is surprising that the BATF has interpreted Federal Law to exclude 'spud guns' from regulation.

And heat, which helps to soften grease.
Aluminum is amphiprotic. When it reacts with HCl, what are the products? I'd expect to get AlCl2 + H2.
The reaction with lye is _quite_ energetic and does, as you note, produce hydrogen. Hydrocloric acid and zinc is a gentler way to produce hydrogen.
--

FF

2Al + 6HCl --> 2AlCl3 + 3 H2 sorry, no subscripts for email but 2Al + 6OH- --> Al2O3 + 3 H2O
so the reaction with acid produces hydrogen gas
Steve

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may2000/957311850.Ch.r.html The process http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/demos/hydrogenbubbles.html

Aluminum chlorhydrate - anti perspirant.
http://www.scienceproject.com/projects/intro/Senior/SC040.asp

"Explanation: The aluminum foil in the presence of NaOH pellets reacts with water, producing hydrogen gas. As the gas rises from the flask, it travels through the tube to the beaker of water. Since hydrogen gas is less dense than water, it bubbles out of the water.
When producing a gas, more molecules are being made. The number of collisions the molecules make against their container makes pressure. Therefore, the more molecules made, the more collisions occur, creating a greater pressure. When the gas is fed into the upside down test tube, the bubbles of gas create a pressure which pushes the water out of the test tube.
The hydrogen gas now in the test tube is flammable. So when I hold the tube over the flame, the hydrogen gas ignites and creates a popping sound. It is like a tiny bomb or fireworks.
Al + NaOH ---> H2 + Al3+ + Na+
H2 + O2 ---> H2O + energy"
The first reaction isn't balanced, where did the O go? The explanation says Al reacts with water; where is that reaction? No problem with the second rxn, but it produces water, rather than reacting with it.

Read for understanding. Note the sodium tetrahydroxoaluminate product. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may2000/957311850.Ch.r.html
Note also the amount of water bound in the chlorhydrate in the second. That's a reaction, too.
Reactions with acids are slowed because of the self-protective coat of oxide that makes aluminum so useful in exposure to the elements and carbonic acid (Pepsi). That's why I said you wanted (K)(Na)OH for punch in Hydrogen production.
That rxn I can accept, but it certainly isn't what you listed first.
Steve

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:00:00 GMT, "Steve Peterson"

Al

Actually the reaction is between aluminum and water. The NaOH just dissolves the protective oxide coating. You will note in your reaction (above) that the sodium does not change valence.
2 Al + 6 H2O ---> 2 Al(OH)3 + 3 H2
This can be demonstrated with a trace of mercury on the aluminum surface. With mercury present the reaction goes until you run out of aluminum or water. This reaction runs using moisture in the air.