Anyone know about Bosch quickchange compact drill drivers?

Specifically, the PS21-2A. The item I just bought does not hold all of my quickchange drill bits properly. At the same time, my Bosch I-Driver holds the same bits perfectly. I really really like this drill, but cannot accept the chuck problem. Anyone know about it, like whether it is part of the design, or is it more likely a flawed drill/batch?
I suppose taking it back to the store would more likely get one from the same lot. Then again, I won't have to wait to find out.
Thanks.
--
crossposted, please feel free to trim groups

It could be the chuck. Take it to an authorized Bosch service center and they will replace it under warranty. I purchased a Bosch cordless tool set years ago. The blade for the sawzall would fall out. The quick-release had a part missing and they replaced the quick-release with a new one.

They should pop in and out no issues. Is there a piece of packing styrofoam or something crammed into the bottom of the chuck? There should also be a ball you can see when the chuck is closed. Is it there?
RP
RP <rpenr1 hotmail.com> wrote:
As I noticed today, the thing firmly grips the very short 1" screw bits without using a magnetic holder, a bit with tiny cuts on each of the its six corners, providing an extremely short distance from the handgrip to the screw (assuming the workplace allows it). The problem might have something to do with their effort to also grip those 1" bits.

The issue is that most screwgun/impactors are made to grip 2" bits which need a ball detent versus a wire detent( which you described) You need to use your holder as a rule.
RP

This tool (Bosch driver PS21-2A) is supposed to hold regular drill bits, the kind that require a ball detent.
I might just work around it by adding a thin coat of super glue (or whatever) to the shanks that do not stay put.

The tool holds one-inch bits more securely than it does detent type bits, but strangely, the manual says the 1" bits should only be used when inserted into a magnetic detent-type bit holder.

No, the PS21-2A does not hold regular drill bits. It *only* holds ball-detent tools. From page 8 of the user's manual:
"One inch bits should only be used along with a bit holder as shown in figure 2."

Why not use the bits that it was intended to use, or an adapter?

I am going to try making a long E6 beveled bit into a short type C6 notched/nicked bits, by chucking and spinning the far end and very lightly using a cutoff tool to make six tiny cuts on the hex shank. Hopefully to convert at least one of my magnetic E6 type bit holders into that C6 type shank. And if that works, then convert my Snappy drill bit adapters. Not sure exactly what the hex grooves should look like, whether they must be the same as the tiny cuts in a C6 bit. If it works, it should be great, the weird chuck holds the short C6 type bits tightly.
Works like a charm. Carefully modified, the chuck tightly holds the sloppy regular quickchange bits.