Anyone here used a Walker Turner Surfacing Machine?

Hi all, I've been lurking here for quite some time now, and there's a lot of good information you all kick around. Now I'm (hopefully) putting it all to good use and outfitting my shop, and I've got the opportunity to get a '50's era W-T belt/disc sander. Unfortunately the belt size seems to be out of favor (4" x 52 1/2") and it has a 10" disc - also not common - so I'm wondering if the unit is of good enough quality to deal with the hassle of ordering custom sanding belts. I do like the idea of using "vintage" tools, but only if they actually work! Not onlydo they look good, all that iron they used back then ought to keep my garage from blowing away. :-) Near as I can figure out, this is an SM-700 Surfacer, but that's all I know so far.
Thanks for any input,
Snakewood
Walker Turner was a high quality factory making very good tools. I have a Table saw and two of their bandsaws. Delta bought them and trashed the company incorporating some of their machinery and designs in to their own line. I would be thrilled to have that machine. Belts are easily made for it. max

Ditto what Max said.
http://owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID 8
UA100, who would love to have a Walker-Turner ram head drill press...
I have a similar machine. It's not a W-T, but it dates back to the same era. I don't use it on every project, but when I need a sanding station, it does the job perfectly. There are a bunch of supply houses and online shops that will sell you the right sized belt. For the disc, you can buy a bottle of sanding disc glue and just cut a piece of sandpaper to size. The glue is specially designed for discs as it dries to a make a tacky surface that can be peeled off and reapplied easily. I got it at Sears.
I noticed they have one up at owwm: http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 12
If that's the same one you got, it sounds like there's a manual posted up on the site somewhere.
Moore

That's the one all right. I think it'll work great for me, and I do a fair amount of shaping on the sander. My concern was just finding belts for it. Thanks!
Snakewood

As a followup, I have an old Walker Turner Jig Saw. something like the 1950 J915 - 24" http://files.owwm.com/pdf/WalkerTurner/1950-1019-I.pdf
Having never used a modern saw, I was wondering how they compare in smoothness of cut, power, etc.
On 29 Nov 2004 18:27:26 GMT, Bruce Barnett

probably beats the pants off of the modern stuff.