Anyone Here Use One Of These? Nail Extractor

Page 1 of 2
http://www.nailextractor.com /
I just saw and ad, never heard of one before. I've been looking for something that'll do what they claim this will do. But at $25 US a pop, it's a bit pricey for me to jus buy one for experimenting with. So, if anyone here has used one of these I'd like to hear their thoughts on it. Even then, if most people claim it works may just wind up welding an arc on one side of a vise-grip jaw, that would probably work close enough for what I want, and cost me less then $10, max.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote on 22 May 2007 in group rec.woodworking:

If you turn your slip-joint pliers around, you'll find that the profile on the outside of the jaws almost exactly matches the nice arc on that tool.
The only downside is that the slip-joint pliers will bend the nail some before they start pulling, so hard nails sometimes break off. I also get a little marking in the wood, avoided by putting a putty knife underneath. I bet the purpose-built tool does that too, though.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
J T wrote:

http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/show/nail_puller.html
Wed, May 23, 2007, 9:30am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) did posteth thusly: http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/show/nail_puller.html
Neat. Lend me $90 so I can buy it.
On May 23, 6:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

They pop up on eBay periodically, and usually sell for far less. And, no, I won't lend you "far less" either. :)~
J T wrote:

My brother has one. When he needs it it is out in the truck toolbox. It works, but not for pallet nails. Those nails are welded in the wood.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Geez, I like to think I'm frugal myself, but for crying out loud, break down and buy yourself a box of _new_ nails.
On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:25:45 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Generally I grab a pair of channel locks.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Wed, May 23, 2007, 10:13am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Markem) sayeth: Generally I grab a pair of channel locks.
Besides never having much success pulling nails with channel locks, now it would hurt my hands too much to even try.
I have used regular nail pullers for years, like this one:

Note that the ad for the one you are asking about says ---for EXPOSED nails. That's the problem, as I see it. Nails usually are NOT exposed, including most of the nails I have ever seen in a pallet.
You will be MILES ahead to buy the one like in the link above. Yes, they will bend the nail some, but the fulcrum is farther away from the claw than the one in your ad, so you will be less likely to break a nail. If breaking nails becomes a problem, add blocking under the fulcrum point as you extract the nail. Most good hardware stores have these.
Pete Stanaitis -------------------------------
J T wrote:

Wed, May 23, 2007, 10:33am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@baldwin-telecom.net (spaco) sayeth: I have used regular nail pullers for years, like this one: www.gp.lib.mi.us <snip>
Dunno what you get when you use that link, but I get the Grosse Pointe Public Library.
Got one, it works great, especially when reclaiming mouldings. It really pays for itself in removing nails from the back of mouldings so that the pricey moulding is undamaged. Prior to this I used ViceGrips to pull the nails but I would have to clamp onto each nail then insert a piece of metal under the grips to lever the nails out -- very clumsy -- then you had to unclamp the grips to release the nail. My old hands would complain about the workout, so I tried the new item.

Wed, May 23, 2007, 12:31pm snipped-for-privacy@reply.in.this.group (EXT) doth sayeth: Got one, it works great, especially when reclaiming mouldings. It really pays for itself in removing nails from the back of mouldings so that the pricey moulding is undamaged. Prior to this I used ViceGrips to pull the nails but I would have to clamp onto each nail then insert a piece of metal under the grips to lever the nails out -- very clumsy -- then you had to unclamp the grips to release the nail. My old hands would complain about the workout, so I tried the new item.
Hah! Just the type of info I was after. I would like to fondle one first, but now am seriously pondering getting one, just need to find the best price. Thanks.
I know just what you mean about the hands.
On May 22, 10:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

There exists an older version of the Jefferson extracting pliers. It is manufactured by Crescent (part of the Cooper Group). It is Crescent catalog number 56 and called Sure Grip. Its got a pair of jaws to grip the nail, a slide hammer and a curved lever. The slide hammer serves to set the jaws below the surface of the wood. Its long enough to pull out even stubborn customers.It seems to still be available and is shown on Crescent's web site. Joe G
Wed, May 23, 2007, 9:46am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (GROVER) doth sayeth: There exists an older version of the Jefferson extracting pliers. It is manufactured by Crescent (part of the Cooper Group). It is Crescent catalog number 56 and called Sure Grip. Its got a pair of jaws to grip the nail, a slide hammer and a curved lever. The slide hammer serves to set the jaws below the surface of the wood. Its long enough to pull out even stubborn customers.It seems to still be available and is shown on Crescent's web site.
Heh heh. Got it covered. I've got that tool. Except mine's probably around 80 or more years old. Don't recall who made it (it's out in the shop), but it did cost me quite a bit less, postage included, and works aw well, or possibly better than a new one - mine's probably higher quality and heavier.

It looks like a nice design, if the materail quality is adequate. However, for about $10-12 you can get a large pair (16 or 18 inch?) of end nippers from HFT. I have one and it rarely fails to pull or break a nail. In fact, the 10" end nipper, about $6, that I keep in my tote bag rarely fails, either.

Wed, May 23, 2007, 7:39pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (LarryW) doth sayeth: It looks like a nice design, if the materail quality is adequate. However, for about $10-12 you can get a large pair (16 or 18 inch?) of end nippers from HFT. I have one and it rarely fails to pull or break a nail. In fact, the 10" end nipper, about $6, that I keep in my tote bag rarely fails, either.
I don't need to buy anything to break nails, I can manage that part on my own. Too hard on my hands anymore, usng something like nippers.
On 23 May, 03:25, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I've been using one of these for years. http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id#023&name=nail+puller&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0 Pricier than your example, but very efficient. It's got a sort of hammer action and a "beak" so it'll grip nails just at or below the surface. Ideal for pallets or reclaimed timber etc.
cheers Jacob