Anyone Here Ever Try this?

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 12:57am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (bridger) queries: maybe modify a test tube shaker?

Possibly. Send me one, and I'll try it.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 9:55am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John=A0B) doth enlighten the unwashed masses with: G'day JOAT, Yep, I like you, More tape and away she went, did a great job.

I like you too. AT LAST, someone that understands You're my new hero. Love it.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 11:26am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Bob=A0Martin) doth asketh: How about taping it to an orbital sander?

Wouldn't that be if you wanted to "swirl" it? LOL

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

| I don't know about a shaker, but model builders have been know to | use two slowly rotating dowels with paint bottles nestled in them. | Just turn it on every time you're in the room. Would probably work | for spray cans as well, but a shaker would eliminate the need to | plan ahead :-).

For a while I was using over a dozen cans of shake-before-use spray paint every day. Not only could I not find the shaker I'd seen - but the manufacturer makes that particular paint available /only/ in aerosol cans. It's not so much a matter of planning ahead as not wasting time and energy...

Morris Dovey

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 12:40pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (Unquestionably=A0Confused) confusedly advises: If you're determined to try this, I would cushion the blade with something (electricians tape?)and maybe use a sawzall as someone else mentioned. Then use a hose clamp or two to fasten the can to the blade.

Cushoning the blade sounds like a good idea, just in case. But, electricians tape? Bah, only the finest duct tape. And I think I might have been the one who brought up a Sawzall. Nope, no hose clamps, take too long, too complicagted. Duct tape all the way.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 8:51am From: snipped-for-privacy@devnull.spamcop.net (Pop) has spake: You might have a marketable idea on your hands there! I've had one of thos bed vibrators like they use in motels around for years and never found a use for it: Maybe you've found one for me. Dunno why your idea wouldn't basically work; don't know about rubber bands though. Need something that'll clamp for quicker de/attachment. Unless you're going to patent it, let us know what you end up with

Yeah, right. If I thought this was marketable, or patentable, this would be the last place I'd post anything on it.

I'm wondering how, and why, you got one of those bed vibrators. But, please don't tell me, probably wouldn't want to hear the answer.

I've long since passed on rubber bands as a hold down. I'm into the advanced stuff now - duct tape.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Isn't that redundant?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 1:16pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) puzzingly asks: How about one of those toys for women things? They vibrate and stroke back and forth at the same time. Rather than rubberband it, just get the lucky woman to hold it for a few minutes.

Gee Ed, don't know anything about anything like that. What exactly are they, and how are they used?

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 3:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Norm=A0Dresner) who doth asketh: But don't disparage information that people take the time to post just because you don't think it _exactly_ answers the question you thought you asked.

Didn't "exactly" answer the question? Rather, didn't even come close. I think you got the dork part right tho.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 9:26am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (mac=A0davis) I have this sort of metal picture

Try increasing your dosage. Try a new picture: Reciprocating saw

- blade - paint can - duct tape. Viola - paint shaker.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 9:27am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm (lgb) a shaker would eliminate the need to plan ahead :-).

Plan? You plan ahead?

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 4:32pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Vic=A0Baron) who doth dream: 5) retrieve shaken can

You're assuming a lot. That the cat doesn't climb a tree. That the dog doesn't bite the can. That the cat doesn't whip the dog, and remain highly pissed.

Let us know how it all works out.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 11:11pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (George=A0E.=A0Cawthon) tosses out: Two possibilities.

Only two? Nah, way to complicated, and sounds like you've got to buy stuff.

I'm going with the saw, duct tape, option.

JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

| Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 2:16am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris Dovey) | wanteth to knoweth: | Anyone know anything about the product shown on ATOH? | | Somebody e-mailed me (stop e-mailing me people, respond to the | thread, I've run out of polite replies), about something called a | "rattleshake", which is what I think you're looking for. They | included a link - which didn't work.

That looks like the product. The only contact info I could find is:

Doug Sharp Enterprises, Inc. P.O. Box 3907 Pagosa Springs, CO 81147-3907

888-657-1957

But I got a 404 error when I tried to visit. I'll try the phone number in the morning.

Morris Dovey

Edwin Pawlowski

Might be a good use for old motors that are laying around (from those periodic dryer motor threads, for example). Figure a cam made out of

1/2 or 3/4 plywood with a little cage or tube riding on it would do the job just as well. You could mount the cam to the motor (or pulley attached to the motor) and plunk the can in something like a cardboard tube or PVC pipe that is mounted over the cam, and it'd shake it pretty well, I imagine. To clarify that just a little, the tube would be stationary, and the bottom of the can would ride directly on the cam.

Might be able to do it with an old blender, too, if you had a wedge, and then cut it or turned into a circle so it'd fit where the blade used to be. Then you've got a cage ready-made. Plunk the can in it, and start it up. Might ruin the bearings, but I imagine you wouldn't be using the good blender for something like this anyhow, so it's worth a shot.

I don't know about the recip. saw- it'd probably work somewhat, but it seems like one of those things that would end up being a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. I can just see that as a good idea gone terribly awry, especially if you've got a can of paint hooked to a blade with a rubber band...

Personally, I'm fond of the blender idea. Seems like it'd be really simple provided you've got a bandsaw or a lathe (or even a coping saw, for that matter) and it could be done for a quarter or so if you like going to thrift sales. Variable speed, contains the paint should something go awry, and it'd give you a sort of random orbit. They've even got little covers you can use to make sure the can doesn't come flying out.

Reply to
Prometheus

You need to be an ammunition reloader! Most of us have a vibrating brass polisher used to clean up cases befores reloading them. It's sort of a big bowl with a small motor and off center weight under it - that causes the bowl to shake pretty fast.. Reloaders fill it with crushed walnut shells, ground corn cob and a bunch of other strange substances that polish cartridge cases, throw in the cases and fire it up for an hour or so. Bright, clean brass!

I just throw the spray can in the bowl without removing the polishing media, and run it for a couple of minutes. Shake, rattle and roll! Works great!

Minor problem - on some cans the labels and marking are polished off, so a week later you've got no idea what was in the spray can, but WTH.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

If you have plenty of warning before you'll need the paint, you can do what I did.

I built a small 5-sided box that holds 4 cans side by side with a small bar across the front to hold them in.

Ran a bolt through the back of the box sticking out about 2 inches.

Took an old barbeque rotissierie motor (6 rpm) and mounted it to the wall.

Inserted bolt into chuck of rotisserie motor, load paint cans and turn on. Come back in 30 minutes. (I just left it running while I prepped the project I was working on.

I also ended up gluing small chunks of wood in between where the cans go to hold them in place better and so I could load less than a full load of 4 cans.

Works pretty well for free.

HTH Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Tom Banes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Permanent marker... Duct tape. Problem solved.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Wed, Aug 10, 2005, 2:13am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) doth posteth:

Ah, one of those thingies. Why didn't you say so in the first place? I ran across free plans for a homemade version long ago. I'd of posted them, but couldn't figure out what it was for.

Can you tell me what some of the other plans I ran acoss are for? They look kinda strange. Some of them are made from leater, so they didn't pertain to woodworking anyway. But, there's plans for some wood stuff too.