Anyone Here Ever Try this?

Page 2 of 3

J T wrote:

G'day JOAT, Yep, I like you, got bloody sick and tired of shaking spray cans and those little pots of paint. Had Ryobi Scroll saw sitting under the bench, had updated. Taped the can to the top arm and turned her on. Had to make a couple of saves with the first few cans as they decided they would rather be somewhere else than getting the sh.t shook out of em. More tape and away she went, did a great job. ;) and no tennis elbow. All the best John

How about taping it to an orbital sander?
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 11:26am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (BobMartin) doth asketh: How about taping it to an orbital sander?
Wouldn't that be if you wanted to "swirl" it? LOL
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 9:55am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JohnB) doth enlighten the unwashed masses with: G'day JOAT, Yep, I like you, <snip> More tape and away she went, did a great job. <snip>
I like you too. AT LAST, someone that understands You're my new hero. Love it.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
You might have a marketable idea on your hands there!
I've had one of thos bed vibrators like they use in motels around for years and never found a use for it: Maybe you've found one for me.
Dunno why your idea wouldn't basically work; don't know about rubber bands though. Need something that'll clamp for quicker de/attachment.
Unless you're going to patent it, let us know what you end up with <g>
Pop

Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 8:51am From: snipped-for-privacy@devnull.spamcop.net (Pop) has spake: You might have a marketable idea on your hands there! I've had one of thos bed vibrators like they use in motels around for years and never found a use for it: Maybe you've found one for me. Dunno why your idea wouldn't basically work; don't know about rubber bands though. Need something that'll clamp for quicker de/attachment. Unless you're going to patent it, let us know what you end up with <g>
Yeah, right. If I thought this was marketable, or patentable, this would be the last place I'd post anything on it.
I'm wondering how, and why, you got one of those bed vibrators. But, please don't tell me, probably wouldn't want to hear the answer.
I've long since passed on rubber bands as a hold down. I'm into the advanced stuff now - duct tape.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown

How about one of those toys for women things? They vibrate and stroke back and forth at the same time.
Rather than rubberband it, just get the lucky woman to hold it for a few minutes.
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 1:16pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) puzzingly asks: How about one of those toys for women things? They vibrate and stroke back and forth at the same time. Rather than rubberband it, just get the lucky woman to hold it for a few minutes.
Gee Ed, don't know anything about anything like that. What exactly are they, and how are they used?
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
Gee Ed, don't know anything about anything like that. What exactly are they, and how are they used?
http://sybian.com/aff/
Wed, Aug 10, 2005, 2:13am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) doth posteth: http://sybian.com/aff
Ah, one of those thingies. Why didn't you say so in the first place? I ran across free plans for a homemade version long ago. I'd of posted them, but couldn't figure out what it was for.
Can you tell me what some of the other plans I ran acoss are for? They look kinda strange. Some of them are made from leater, so they didn't pertain to woodworking anyway. But, there's plans for some wood stuff too.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
(Edwin Pawlowski) doth posteth: http://sybian.com/aff Can you tell me what some of the other plans I ran acoss are for? They look kinda strange. Some of them are made from leater, so they didn't pertain to woodworking anyway. But, there's plans for some wood stuff too. JOAT
Only thing I can figure is the leather straps are for attaching different paint cans. Not sure about the wood things. Maybe to check viscosity? :)
Thu, Aug 11, 2005, 2:34am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) admits his puzzledity: Only thing I can figure is the leather straps are for attaching different paint cans. Not sure about the wood things. Maybe to check viscosity? :)
Not sure. I suppose they could be used for strapping down to some of the stuff, after all, several do have motors in them. Maybe like seat belts. There is one leather thing, I thought it was a hammock at first, but decided not. Must be some sort of amusement park ride, you sit in it, and are strapped in. If you want any of the plans that use wood, e-mail me, then if you can figure them out, you can post 'em. I didn't post any because I have no idea what there all for. On another site there was something apparently for us on a cordless drill, I didn't bother to check what it was, because I prefer corded drills.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 00:16:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I have this sort of metal picture (not usually a good thing, for me) of a long stroke reciprocating saw with a metal plate with one end ground down to blade fastening size, with one of those adjustable pool or fishing pole clamps bolted to it... hmm... Might be overkill, though... easier to do a Huck Finn with the neighborhood kids.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 9:26am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (macdavis) I have this sort of metal picture <snip>
Try increasing your dosage. Try a new picture: Reciprocating saw - blade - paint can - duct tape. Viola - paint shaker.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown

1) Get a cat 2) Get a dog 3)strap can to cat 4)mix cat and dog in yard 5) retrieve shaken can 6)make pushstick from cat 7) save dog for next time
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 4:32pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (VicBaron) who doth dream: <snip> 5) retrieve shaken can <snip>
You're assuming a lot. That the cat doesn't climb a tree. That the dog doesn't bite the can. That the cat doesn't whip the dog, and remain highly pissed.
Let us know how it all works out.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
J T wrote:

Two possibilities. One is the good old vibrator/ polisher. Heck you could even strap the can on a back vibrator. But if you go with this type just build a light frame holding a motor with an off balance wheel that you can strap to the paint can. Can be a very small motor. Hang the whole thing by string from 3 points.
Second, you don't need to shake just rotate the can. Use the principle of a rock tumbler. Two parallel round bars closer than the width of the can. Use a small motor that drives turns one of the rods, other bar is an idler. Rotate the bar so that the can turns about 40 times per minute. You could even put a bump on the drive bar to create a bit more agitation.
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 11:11pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (GeorgeE.Cawthon) tosses out: Two possibilities. <snip>
Only two? Nah, way to complicated, and sounds like you've got to buy stuff.
I'm going with the saw, duct tape, option.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 00:16:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Might be a good use for old motors that are laying around (from those periodic dryer motor threads, for example). Figure a cam made out of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood with a little cage or tube riding on it would do the job just as well. You could mount the cam to the motor (or pulley attached to the motor) and plunk the can in something like a cardboard tube or PVC pipe that is mounted over the cam, and it'd shake it pretty well, I imagine. To clarify that just a little, the tube would be stationary, and the bottom of the can would ride directly on the cam.
Might be able to do it with an old blender, too, if you had a wedge, and then cut it or turned into a circle so it'd fit where the blade used to be. Then you've got a cage ready-made. Plunk the can in it, and start it up. Might ruin the bearings, but I imagine you wouldn't be using the good blender for something like this anyhow, so it's worth a shot.
I don't know about the recip. saw- it'd probably work somewhat, but it seems like one of those things that would end up being a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. I can just see that as a good idea gone terribly awry, especially if you've got a can of paint hooked to a blade with a rubber band...
Personally, I'm fond of the blender idea. Seems like it'd be really simple provided you've got a bandsaw or a lathe (or even a coping saw, for that matter) and it could be done for a quarter or so if you like going to thrift sales. Variable speed, contains the paint should something go awry, and it'd give you a sort of random orbit. They've even got little covers you can use to make sure the can doesn't come flying out.
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 00:16:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

You need to be an ammunition reloader! Most of us have a vibrating brass polisher used to clean up cases befores reloading them. It's sort of a big bowl with a small motor and off center weight under it - that causes the bowl to shake pretty fast.. Reloaders fill it with crushed walnut shells, ground corn cob and a bunch of other strange substances that polish cartridge cases, throw in the cases and fire it up for an hour or so. Bright, clean brass!
I just throw the spray can in the bowl without removing the polishing media, and run it for a couple of minutes. Shake, rattle and roll! Works great!
Minor problem - on some cans the labels and marking are polished off, so a week later you've got no idea what was in the spray can, but WTH.
Regards.
Tom