Anyone Here Ever Try this?

Page 1 of 3

I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake rattle can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that would probably work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would like.
However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to provide the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, attached to an old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with rubber bands - don't want to make it too complicated.
Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, so can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of any reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat shaking the cans by hand.
Anyone here ever tried any thing like this? If so, how did it work out? Good, bad, indifferent? People with tired arms want to know.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
J T wrote:

Here is "The Correct Way to Shake a Spray Paint Can."
<http://www.woodzone.com/tips/shaking_spray_paint_cans.htm
Looks like you'll need an orbital motor of some kind. :-)
Mon, Aug 8, 2005, 9:38pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Dhakala) did put out: Here is "The Correct Way to Shake a Spray Paint Can." <http://www.woodzone.com/tips/shaking_spray_paint_cans.htm Looks like you'll need an orbital motor of some kind. :-)
I re-read my post, "just to be sure", but that wasn't the question I asked. If I'd wanted to know that, I'd read a can, Last I looked, that info's printed on the back of every can; along with some other info.
No prob, decided I'll just duct tape a can to the blade, quicker, easier, faster.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
J T wrote:

Well, if every can tells you to swirl it around instead shaking it up and down, why would you use a Sawzall?
(Dhakala)

Hmm, wonder what that site author knows that the paint manufacturer's don't? They describe it differently. Don't believe everything you read.
Especially this part is interesting:
"Then shade the can for 30seconds to a minute the next time the can is used during the same day. "
Now, why should I "shade" a can of paint for 30 seconds to a minute?
Pop
Mon, Aug 8, 2005, 10:40pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Dhakala) burbled: Well, if every can tells you to swirl it around instead shaking it up and down, why would you use a Sawzall?
Because it's there.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
J T wrote:

If you're determined to try this, I would cushion the blade with something (electricians tape?)and maybe use a sawzall as someone else mentioned. Then use a hose clamp or two to fasten the can to the blade.
Any slop in the connection will allow a tooth or two or three to dig into the can as it shakes. About 40 seconds or less of THAT action ought to solve all your problems. Just make sure you shake it close to the item to be painted so you can salvage at least some of the paint that flies out once you breach the can.
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 12:40pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net (UnquestionablyConfused) confusedly advises: If you're determined to try this, I would cushion the blade with something (electricians tape?)and maybe use a sawzall as someone else mentioned. Then use a hose clamp or two to fasten the can to the blade. <snip>
Cushoning the blade sounds like a good idea, just in case. But, electricians tape? Bah, only the finest duct tape. And I think I might have been the one who brought up a Sawzall. Nope, no hose clamps, take too long, too complicagted. Duct tape all the way.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
(Dhakala)

You've got to be kidding! Do you really expect every dork on the internet to answer _your_ question instead of spouting whatever garbage he wants to preach?
Okay, that's kinda strong language since the information was somewhat related to the subject and could be interpreted as showing you what kind of motion you needed to generate.
But don't disparage information that people take the time to post just because you don't think it _exactly_ answers the question you thought you asked.
Norm
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 3:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@att.net (NormDresner) who doth asketh: <snip> But don't disparage information that people take the time to postjust because you don't think it _exactly_ answers the question you thought you asked.
Didn't "exactly" answer the question? Rather, didn't even come close. I think you got the dork part right tho.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown

Strap it to a Katherine Hepburn BobbleHead.

Isn't that redundant?
B.
J T (in snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3335.bay.webtv.net) said:
| I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake | rattle can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that | would probably work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would | like. | | However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to | provide the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, | attached to an old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with | rubber bands - don't want to make it too complicated. | | Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, | so can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of | any reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat | shaking the cans by hand. | | Anyone here ever tried any thing like this? If so, how did it | work out? Good, bad, indifferent? People with tired arms want to | know.
In one of the ATOH episodes, they showed a compact drill-powered can shaker. I tried later to track the device down; but could never find a manufacturer, distributor, or dealer.
I've been tempted to liberate a defunct weed eater from the landfill and cut it down until I could attach a can holder to the piston head - then use a drill to turn the crankshaft.
Anyone know anything about the product shown on ATOH?
says...

two slowly rotating dowels with paint bottles nestled in them. Just turn it on every time you're in the room. Would probably work for spray cans as well, but a shaker would eliminate the need to plan ahead :-).
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

lgb (in snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk) said:
| I don't know about a shaker, but model builders have been know to | use two slowly rotating dowels with paint bottles nestled in them. | Just turn it on every time you're in the room. Would probably work | for spray cans as well, but a shaker would eliminate the need to | plan ahead :-).
For a while I was using over a dozen cans of shake-before-use spray paint every day. Not only could I not find the shaker I'd seen - but the manufacturer makes that particular paint available /only/ in aerosol cans. It's not so much a matter of planning ahead as not wasting time and energy...
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 9:27am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm (lgb) <snip> a shaker would eliminate the need to plan ahead :-). Plan? You plan ahead?
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 2:16am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (MorrisDovey) wanteth to knoweth: <snip> Anyone know anything about the product shown on ATOH? Somebody e-mailed me (stop e-mailing me people, respond to the thread, I've run out of polite replies), about something called a "rattleshake", which is what I think you're looking for. They included a link - which didn't work.
J T (in snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3334.bay.webtv.net) said:
| Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 2:16am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris Dovey) | wanteth to knoweth: | <snip> Anyone know anything about the product shown on ATOH? | | Somebody e-mailed me (stop e-mailing me people, respond to the | thread, I've run out of polite replies), about something called a | "rattleshake", which is what I think you're looking for. They | included a link - which didn't work.
That looks like the product. The only contact info I could find is:
Doug Sharp Enterprises, Inc. P.O. Box 3907 Pagosa Springs, CO 81147-3907 888-657-1957 www.rattleshake.com
But I got a 404 error when I tried to visit. I'll try the phone number in the morning.
J T wrote:

maybe modify a test tube shaker?
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Vortex-K-500-2-Test-Tube-Mixer-Lab-Shaker-2-in-one_W0QQitemZ7535951614QQcategoryZ26235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Tue, Aug 9, 2005, 12:57am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (bridger) queries: maybe modify a test tube shaker?
Possibly. Send me one, and I'll try it.
JOAT Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never had thier boat sink. - Unknown