Anyone Here dUsing One Of These?

Since this sounds like it will be a permanent addition I would think seriously about well draining gravel or concrete pad. If you live in a rainy area the weight of these on unimproved ground will cause it to sink, enough to cause water problems, i.e. rotted floor or even water inside. We used this extensively in my military career and they are great as long as they are level and on ground or pad that drains well.

Reply to
asmurff

ok, how about finding someone with a back hoe and cutting the high side down.. like a "cut & fill"... IMO, you'd be better having it as low as possible, rather that raising one side..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 8:29am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: Yessir, waking to the aroma of napalm, shit burning in mogas, and something mysterious in the pot, was always conducive to good digestion and a feeling of well being, eh?

Great times with great guys. Can't say I'd want to do it again, but still, glad I did. Definitely one of those, "If you weren't there you'll never understand" moments.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 8:14am (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (asmurff) doth sayeth: Since this sounds like it will be a permanent addition I would think seriously about well draining gravel or concrete pad.

I would hope to Hell not. Figuring maybe 2-3 years, hopefully, at the most. Drainage should be no problem.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 9:19am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (mac=A0davis) doth sayeth: ok, how about finding someone with a back hoe and cutting the high side down.. like a "cut & fill"... IMO, you'd be better having it as low as possible, rather that raising one side..

The space available just son't allow it. May be able to cut a bit, but will still wind up shoring the one side, no matter what. I'd love to be able to put it flat, but that ain't happening.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Hmm.. I still don't understand... or maybe I forgot...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

well, at least cars won't roll sideways.. Added bonus is that when you drop a nut or bolt, you'll know which side to look for it on..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

tremendous load. Loook at the structure of the outside walls. There are square tubes on top which would be under compression in order to sag and the structures at the bottom of the walls (typically I-beams) would be under strain. The top beam and the bottom beam cannot separate since there is a constant weld seam connecting the side panels and the beams. As long as the load is straight down, it's a

8-9' tall 40' long beam. I have a 40' high-cube used-to-be-a-Hanjin container and the only way it's not really solid is in a twisting fashion (opposite corners). Also, the lift points are at the corners

-- so when four points are hooked up to pull a container off a boat the middle is wholly unsupported. I supported the ends of the container and have a thousand or so BF of QSWO and probably 500 bf of misc hardwood stacked on top right now. Also, some miscellaneous sheet metal (say 1000#) and probably 1000# of other miscellany. Probably 3-4 tons of stuff inside. If I remember I'll site down the edge and check the deflection. SWMBO mandated that I keep the container inside the pole building -- it doesn't waste that much space if you stack stuff on top.

I use mine for storage not as a workspace -- it'd be pretty tight as workspace. As storage, however, it's great; if you don't open the doors much, a dehumidifier only pulls out a few (

Reply to
hex

Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 2:01pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (mac=A0davis) doth sayeth: well, at least cars won't roll sideways.. Added bonus is that when you drop a nut or bolt, you'll know which side to look for it on..

LOL

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 2:07pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hex) doth sayeth: it'd be pretty tight as workspace.

Ah, but it's all relative. Even with my project vehcle in, which would be on those roller thingies so could have one side next to the wall, there'd be approx 30" of side space, which is actually more than I have in my hallway - due to bookcases along one wall. The vehicle also wouldn't take up but about half the length. Beats the Hell out of working outside, on the ground, especially in the cold, and/or wet. And, once the vehicle is out, if you consider that my present shop is

8'X12', that'd be a major space gain for me. I found out long ago, you've got to look on the bright side. Actually, once the vehicle stuff is done it'll be space to make a boat or two, and after that for storage and metal working - welding, forging, put my metal lathe in, engine builds, engine storage, and so on. Hell, just the thought of all this makes me so happy I may decide to paint the inside yellow instead of white. LOL

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

I hear you -- my first woodshop space was half a one-carriage garage. ("Carriage" because it was old and you had to park just right so the car door would open into the walk door on the side to avoid crawling out the window.) But that's what was available and I'd have jumped for joy at the thought of 8w x9h x 40l and probably wondered what steps I'd have to take to keep from getting lost in there.

Still, go with a high-cube if you can -- the extra height makes it easier to light and you'll use the space. Here's a tip: most containers have internal tie-down points about every 5 feet (maybe 2 meters) -- given some chain or rope and a flat piece of plywood or a hollow core door with some 2x2's supports you can make suspended shelving which folds up for cheap -- and it doesn't eat up any floor space. (ascii art below). Maybe that's obvious, but I was happy when I figured that out rather than putting conventional shelving in.

------ ceiling/roof----- o | \ | \ | \ | \ ======

clear

space

here

------floor --------------------------

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

Wow.. you just produced a flashback, Hex..

The old detached garage at my folks house was so narrow that the only car the family ever had that would fit in it was my 31 ford coupe..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You're down in tarheel country, right? Don't you have the same deal we have, no permits for agricultural uses? Get yourself a couple chickens and call it a farm. I could have saved a couple hundred bucks when building my shop a decade ago if I'd done that. Now, my wife is agitating for chickens because she doesn't like WalMart eggs with those pale yellow yolks...right at the time my doctor is telling me I should eat just the damned whites!

Reply to
Charlie Self