Anyone Here dUsing One Of These?

Page 2 of 2
Sun, Dec 16, 2007, 1:27pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (CharlieSelf) doth adviseth: A double layer of cementitious board, at least 5/8" thick per layer, should do the trick on the floor, one layer walls, maybe 3/8" ceiling if you're really going to be flinging fire.
Hmm, yeah, that'd work. Just don't have the space free to build just now, don't wanna do it where the container would be going. Whcih is why I'm probably going to have to opt for the container, for now. Sometimes life is confusing.
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 03:19:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:
My neighbor used to have one.. about 30' long, I think..
Drawbacks were light and ventilation... we solved the light problem with lots of florescent but not the air flow, as it was a rental.. If I owned a container, I'd put an opening skylight in, as big as practical and affordable..
About the uneven ground.. can you kinda bury one end.. like scoop the high end out instead of jacking up the container on the low end of the grade?

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I also don't think that they need support much beyond the corners. After all, they pick them up, fully loaded by the corners and fly them through the air onto trucks. When they stack them, again fully loaded, sometimes quite high, it is only the corners that support them.
Sun, Dec 16, 2007, 4:28pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Robatoy) doth sayeth: I also don't think that they need support much beyond the corners. After all, they pick them up, fully loaded by the corners and fly them through the air onto trucks. When they stack them, again fully loaded, sometimes quite high, it is only the corners that support them.
Hmm, I'll have to doublecheck that. Sounds reasonable tho, and if it's so, it'd simplify things a lot. OK guys, we can let him stick around for awhile. LOL
Sun, Dec 16, 2007, 4:22pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (macdavis) doth query: <snip> About the uneven ground.. can you kinda bury one end.. like scoop the high end out instead of jacking up the container on the low end of the grade?
Yep, but then one end would be lower than the other. The grade would be side to side. I'm thinking some used railroad ties might be the answer.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:26:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

ok, how about finding someone with a back hoe and cutting the high side down.. like a "cut & fill"... IMO, you'd be better having it as low as possible, rather that raising one side..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 9:19am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (macdavis) doth sayeth: ok, how about finding someone with a back hoe and cutting the high side down.. like a "cut & fill"... IMO, you'd be better having it as low as possible, rather that raising one side..
The space available just son't allow it. May be able to cut a bit, but will still wind up shoring the one side, no matter what. I'd love to be able to put it flat, but that ain't happening.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:21:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

well, at least cars won't roll sideways.. Added bonus is that when you drop a nut or bolt, you'll know which side to look for it on..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 2:01pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (macdavis) doth sayeth: well, at least cars won't roll sideways.. Added bonus is that when you drop a nut or bolt, you'll know which side to look for it on..
LOL
Since this sounds like it will be a permanent addition I would think seriously about well draining gravel or concrete pad. If you live in a rainy area the weight of these on unimproved ground will cause it to sink, enough to cause water problems, i.e. rotted floor or even water inside. We used this extensively in my military career and they are great as long as they are level and on ground or pad that drains well.
Mike Watch for the bounce. If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it. If ya see it, it didn't go off. Old Air Force Munitions Saying IYAAYAS

Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 8:14am (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (asmurff) doth sayeth: Since this sounds like it will be a permanent addition I would think seriously about well draining gravel or concrete pad. <snip>
I would hope to Hell not. Figuring maybe 2-3 years, hopefully, at the most. Drainage should be no problem.
Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 8:29am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: <snip> Yessir, waking to the aroma of napalm, shit burning in mogas, and something mysterious in the pot, was always conducive to good digestion and a feeling of well being, eh?
Great times with great guys. Can't say I'd want to do it again, but still, glad I did. Definitely one of those, "If you weren't there you'll never understand" moments.

Hmm.. I still don't understand... or maybe I forgot...