Anyone have experience with the new JET DC-1200CK dust collector?

Hi Folks,
Because a new product I developed which requires me to plane lots of wood and generate a large volume of wood chips, I am looking at upgrading from my old Delta dust collectors (50-179 & 50-820) and the JET DC-1200CK looks attractive.
Anyone using one and how does it compare to previous models of dust/chip collectors? thanks George
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 06:26:23 -0500, "George Saridakis"

a friend of mine recently got this DC, and from what he has said, and what i can see, its built well, and has very good collection. one word to the wise, if you are going to produce more chips than dust, get yourself or build yourself a seperator...saves on emptying the unit, and saves wear on the fins also.
Traves
I have one. A dust collector is not very exciting to report about. The unit is well built and probably represents the most value for money in the dust collection world. The next step up is a cyclone unit. With shipping, they price out in the $1000 range.
Probably the best report would be the dealer from whom I purchased. They have a shop used for custom building and teaching. The DC network for their shop is powered by a Jet DC1200CK. They have access to a range of brands and sizes and this is what they selected for their own shop.
Bob

my
: Hi Folks, : : Because a new product I developed which requires me to plane lots of wood : and generate a large volume of wood chips, I am looking at upgrading from my : old Delta dust collectors (50-179 & 50-820) and the JET DC-1200CK looks : attractive. : : Anyone using one and how does it compare to previous models of dust/chip : collectors? : thanks : George : : I have the 1100CK , it picks up everything I want it to.
I've been using one for a few months now. Does what I need it to do. I use it on my table saw, jointer, planer, and router. Sanp ring makes the bags easy to remove and empty or replace once you get the hang of it. I've probably filled the bag about 10 times now and the filter still seems good so I guess the flapper cleans it pretty well. My only complaint is the support brackets for the cannister and bag. I have a tendancy to grab them to roll the DC around. They aren't designed for this and won't stand up to it.

my
Amazon.com has some reviews from buyers that might be useful. I'm going to see if JET has one available at their local warehouse today which is why I've found this info. Here's a brief summary of the Amazon.com comments:
JET CD-1200CK: 3 reviews. 2 gave it 5 stars (the highest rating possible), 1 gave it 4 stars because the switch is a foot off the ground. If you use a remote switch this would have no negative affect on you. One person mentioned a small air leak that was easy to fix. Here is the URL if you want to read the reviews: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
JET CD-1100CK: 15 reviews. All 15 gave it 5 stars. The only complaint was from a couple of people that mentioned a small air leak that was easy to fix. I believe the 1200CK and 1100CK are identical except for the HP so I would expect these 15 reviews of the 1100CK to be as useful as the 3 specific to the 1200CK. Here is the URL if you want to read the reviews: (Amazon.com product link shortened)72716401/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3_etk-tools/102-7288894-7624932?v=glance&s=hi&n"8013
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"George Saridakis" < snipped-for-privacy@fiam.net> wrote in message

I've got the 1100CK and it works great when I remember to connect it up and turn it on.
One think to consider, planers put out a *lot* of chips and I find that I can fill a bag fairly quickly when doing a planing project. You might think about a cyclone lid to a trash can placed upstream from the collector. It would be easier to empty than the bags.
I've got the 1100CK as well. Either the air leaks got fixed or I got lucky. Also got a Jet cyclone lid on a 30 galllon can upstream of the DC - catches 99% of everything if I don't let it get too full (over half).
Only real gripe is the ring seal for the plastic bag, but maybe I just haven't gotten the "hang of it" yet.
Jim
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

I have nearly an identical setup. The ring seal will seal itself with sawdust in no time.
I save the chips that land in the garbage can, minus Walnut & composites, for the school animals at my wife's school.
Barry
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:54:42 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC

Connect it up??? <G>
Plumb in, flip that gate open, and let 'em rip.
Barry

Yeah, yeah. No rountoit yet.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:12:36 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC

Maybe Lee Valley needs to start selling Round Tuits.
Are you listening, Rob?
Barry
Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Seems like a group of lathe owners should be able to turn their own round tuit... fancy hardwoods, recycled pallets, nicely grained and finished, appropriately soaked in LDD and buffed with beeswax direct from the bee-keeper down the road.
This could be a really nice project. If I only had time to get around to it <g>.
--
Happy Turning,
Vic

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:16:03 GMT, Victor Radin

Yeah, but we wanted a Veritas round tuit. <G>
HF could sell a round tuit with a flat side and mill marks on it.
Barry
in message

Barry -
We were gonna make a round tuit - but couldn't find a place to put a brass knob....would've been Veritas black, of course.
Cheers -
Rob
Robin Lee wrote:

Just take a Snap Tuit and cut it in half. Put the knob on the bottom. Duh.
I have one and love it. The only problem that I have with it is the switch being one foot off the ground as someone else mentioned. I solved this by getting a remote switch. A minor issue was that once the plastic bag fills up, either you leave the bag at the curb or you empty the bag into a trash can causing the dust to go flying everywhere. Being cheap, I'm more likely to empty the bag. I reduced this problem by getting a LV trash can separator. Now 95% all of the dust goes straight into a trash can.
-- Chris Corbett snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
San Antonio, TX
Remove the nospam from the email address.

my
I also have the 1100CK model. Its connected to a Unisaw using 6" ducting. My only complaint is there is so much suction that a lot of the dust ends up in the upper cannister after accumalating just a few inches of dust in the bottom of the bag. This means I have to empty the bag more frequently than I like, and, clean the cannister more than I anticipated. I wrote to Jet about this last week but haven't received a reply yet.

Are you saying the rotating flappers to clean off the upper filter don't work for you?
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"skimhoff" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Right. Since no air escapes the plastic bag it is all forced through the cannister. There is so much suction it creates a cyclone effect and the dust works itself up into the cannister rather than lying in the bottom of the bag. I'm surprised no one else is mentioning this. The flappers can't deal with the volume of dust that eventually ends up in the canninster.
This is my only complaint. The collector does a great job of collecting fine dust. I just have to clean it more than I thought I would.