anyone have any feedback on the Harbor Freight Oscillating Spindle Sander?

Hi,

I saw an oscillating spindle sander at HF that looked very reasonable, given the under $100 price. The table was fixed (only do

90 degrees unless you build a jig for it), but it seemed pretty sturdy, with what appears to be an all-metal body. Anyone have one that they'd share some comments on? I figure the $100 investment might by me a few more years on my drill press, which I've been using with a drum-sanding attachment (the side-pressure can't be too good for the spindle).
Reply to
Tom

I've had one for a year or so...occasional use but quite pleased with it...previously for curves I used a drum on a radial arm saw , the end of a small stationary belt sander and a drill press and much prefer the Harbor Freight....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

I waited until the local HBF store had one in stock. I was pleasantly surprised, it had a solid base, seemed sturdy and was heavier than I expected. I decided to buy it there. Yes, the table is fixed. and compared to my "drill press" spindle attachment, it's great. I'm pleased with it.

Watch for it to go on-sale (it's $89.99 right now in the latest flyer). I used one of their 15% off coupon, I paid

Reply to
01Sporty

Are you refering to this item?

Anyone have one that they'd share some comments on?

If we're talking about the sander in the aforementioned link, I don't have that one, but one that looks exactly like it with a Performax[1] brand on it, purchased from Menards. The only issue I've run into with mine was the alignment of the spindle to the base. I noticed my spindle wasn't quite square to the table. So I had to take mine appart and shim things up to get things square.

The actual operation of the machine has been good and it's been useful sanding out curves and such. I do hobby stuff with it, so the size and price for this unit were right for me.

Depending on what I'm trying to sand, I'll hook up a shop vac to the dust port. Sometimes though, the suction through the shop vac is too much, such that it becomes difficult to move the work piece around the spindle. When that happens I just leave the shop vac off.

[1]:
Michael Faurot

Looks very much like the Ryobi unit that I've been using for about four years. I love it, but I think maybe the motor is starting to die - it changes speeds spontaneously occasionally. I paid $95 for mine, IIRC.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

I also have the Ryobi and this HF unit looks similar. My spindle isn't completely square to the table either, only to about 1/3 of the surface. I marked the area that it's square and it works fine. This HF unit looks like a good value for the price.

Cheers

Reply to
toolman946 via CraftKB.com