Anyone have any experience with this Craftsman air compressor?

Page 1 of 2

I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has come up for sale (used).
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil free are big issues...
Clint

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
10 years ago I bought one new. Took it back because it had rust in the tank. The second one threw the piston through the head after about 5 hour of use. I would advise against any of Sears oilless direct drive units unless you are only putting a "few" dollars into the purchase.

Working for Sears, about ten years ago, I remember seeing quite a few oilless compressors (returned) in the back room with big holes in the side. But then after a year or so, they seemed to have that problem solved. I bought one about five years ago and haven't had a problem with it. That is, other than the noise scares the bejesus out of me every time it starts up. Wouldn't dare run it late at night if the neighbors lived close. I still work part time for Sears and I don't remember seeing one returned in the last two years (Sears Hardware) I think you would find this usually on sale for $379 (USD) with a tool or two included. Tom
Clint: If $499 is the sale price I suspect you can do better with a similar sized oiled compressor. Oil-less has two issues (with me):
1) Noise - The high pitched sound just makes my hair hurt. 2) Durability - Some will argue but I think a good oiled compressor will outlast an oil-less 2:1.
I also have some doubts about the 6HP - Sears does wonderous things with HP ratings.
I have seen several oil-less machines that were inexpensive enough to overcome the durabilitiy issue. Use 'em and buy another. This one is a little too high-priced. I have a 30 gallon/3HP , wheeled, upright CH that cost a little less than this one. It is oiled and isn't quiet by any means but the sound is tolerable. I have also seen slightly smaller 2-3 HP Oiled Husky's at Home Depot around $300. Also, you said you wanted to start getting some air tools. Check the big box stores for Oiled or Oil-less packages that include compressor and a variety of tools at a good price. We helped our daughter purchase a compressor for the son-in-law last Christmas. Got a 26 Gallon wheeled upright Oil-less Husky (that is what he wanted) and a pile of starter tools, hose, fittings, flex hose, etc for around $300.
(Just looked at your linked ad again. Didn't notice the "Sears Canada" until now. The price might not be out of line up there. I still have reservations with Oil-less.)
RonB

Agreed but IIRC the oil type outlasts the oilless 10 to 1.

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
Admittedly not an oilless compressor but I got an "air america" compressor made by devilbiss from the porter cable outlet in atlanta with a 6+ HP motor for $280. It is virtually thesame as the sears unit I have been using for the passed 20 years alsom incidentally made by devilbiss .a nice machine in my opinion..mjh
mike hide wrote:

I had no IDEA that there was a Porter Cable Outlet in Atlanta. Where is it and the next time I am over there from N. Alabama I will check it out. Thanks!!
10.5 scfm 290PSI . phone number 1 800 888 2468...mjh

Great likelihood is that your air compressor is not anywhere close to 6.5 HP.
Does your motor weigh more than 100 lbs?
What is the voltage and amps for which the motor is rated?
My guess is that 13 scfm at 40 psi -- a very low PSI -- is equivalent to about 2 honest horsepower.
I have an honest 3 HP compressor, with a heavy Baldor motor etc, on a 80 gallon tank, and could not fit the motor and pump on a puny 20-30 gallon tank.
news:CyeKe.2162> Great likelihood is that your air compressor is not anywhere close to

More than likely the Sears rating is the same used by most of thier products. The 6.5 hp rating probably compares to amp draw of a true 6.5 hp motor just before the Sears unit stalls from overload. Basically how much amperage it draws as it stalls and hopefully blows a breaker. And like you said, probably really 2 hp or less.

wrote in message

What a crock , As far as I know sears do not make their compressors ,devillbiss does ,probably the largest compressed air tool proveyer in the country. In addition to my knowledge the compresor division of devillbiss has been bought out by porter cable ....Again the hp ratings for all compressors have been redefined, not only sears......I am no great fan of sears having had several run ins with them but for heavens sake give them a fair shake else criticise them all ....

I would not single out Sears, yes. All manufacturers and retailers who sell compressors with phony "peak horsepower" ratings, are scum. Peak horsepower means nothing when it comes to compressors, because compressors have large tanks of air. A few seconds at "peak horsepower" before, like Leon said, the breakers blow or the motor pops the overload, mean nothing whatsoever. For compressors, only continuous output matters.
Ignoramus23461 wrote: ...

The "peak" hp means nothing for anything, compressor or not.

I dunno, perhaps it matters for a saw or some such, but you may be completely right. I hate phony HP ratings, they piss me off to no end. I thought that the practice of assigning phony HP ratings to compressors ended aftar a big class action lawsuit against DeVilbiss and others, but, apparently, that is not the case.
Fortunately, electric motors have honest nameplates on them that list their amps. Multiply amps by volts and you get watts. Divide by 751 and you get true HP.
Ignoramus3644 wrote:

Close but no cigar.
AC electric motors are inductive not pure resistive devices so you must also include power factor in the calculations which is not a simple matter without test equipment.
BTW, there are 746 watts per horsepower.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

On top of which my major point is that on any woodworking machine the inertia, etc., are such that an instantaneous "peak" power isn't doing anything, anyway.
I've had a Sears belt-drive, oiled, 20 gallon compressor since 1988. Aside from woodworking, I painted 3 car (restorations) projects with it.
Sears stuff is cheap. I don't know how it would hold up under all day usage. Mine probably has 30 hours on it total time.
If you are running power tools or spraying finishes you want a water separator. An inline oil mister is good if using power tools. And above all, get a 220 unit if your house is wired for it. The units run much, much cooler.
Calculate capacity (ie., hp needs) by matching the highest air gulper in your tool box. Usually, that is an air sander. Paint guns use relatively little. Impact guns are medium users. The new HVLP guns don't even warrant a 220v compressor, so save money.
The nice thing about any compressor, whether it be cheap or fancy, you can unbolt any component that fails and put on a new one. Such as the pump unit, controller, motor.
The Grainger catalogue allows you to virtually build your own from components. I have a small, diaphram compressor (110) my wife uses with her airbrush art projects. But the big one pumps up my bike tires, and powers my air ratchet on all car repairs, as well as furniture repair.
Sears compressors, overall, are pretty low quality. Have you considered getting a used unit?
Gary Curtis Los Angeles

come
http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
You can get a lot more compressor for $499 than this one. It looks like its specs are inflated more than Sears usually does. I base this on the fact that its 120 volt. There is only so much capacity you can get out of a 120 volt motor. I think they have way overstated the capacity of this compressor (cfm). I don't pay any attention to the horsepower ratings. These type of compressors (oil free, direct drive) are noisy! I know I have one. My next compressor will be a cast iron, probably one of the speedaire models from Grainger. They have been making the same basic models for about 30 years.
You will need a tool oiler to run air tools. If you are going to run air tools like a grinder or sander, I think you'll need more continuous capacity. Speedaire makes a model that has not changed in 40 years. Its rated at 10.3 cfm at 90 psi for $519. Its 220volt only.
Bob

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId 289&catalogId001&storeId001&langId=-1&productId8060514
Way overpriced in my opinion ,seemy earlier post about the air america unit . recently I believe most manufacturers [including sears} have revised their hp ratings see HP units for instance .The critical figure in all honesty is the scfm at 90psi for most average compressors it needs to be 10 scfm or above ..
To rum an air buff or sander you will need even more than 10 scfm at 90psi and than you are talking many bucks....mjh

I would recommend buying used, honest, heavy compressors, not overrated and underbuilt consumer crap. They won't be much more expensive in the long run.