Anyone have an old Craftsman 12" lathe?

I bought one at an auction. The motor is behind the lathe with a guard over all. Can I remove the guard, reposition the switch, and put the motor under the lathe?
It looks like it ought to work, but it would be nice to hear that someone has done it. Thanks.
I used to.
The belt cover lasted about 5 minutes for me. I had both the lath and motor bolted to the bench top. The top was the only thing holding them together. I don't see why you could not mount it below.
As for the switch... isn't it a part of the headstock assembly? I don't see any reason why you could not just run the motor through an alternative switch.
-Steve

would have to go. I think I can simply move it; but if I can't, yeh, an alternate switch will be easy enough.