Anyone have a link to...

I'm looking for a head-to-head comparison of Grizzly and Delta contractor or hybrid style table saws. I'm looking to spend $500-$800 on a new saw sometime in the next month, and am currently in the information gathering phase. I've got the Grizzly catalog, but the Delta information is a little harder to come by, considering that they don't list prices on their website, and the authorized Delta dealer that carries what I'm looking for is closed whenever I have time to contact them.

My main points of interest for the new saw are that it is 1.5 hp or better (preferably 2 or 3 hp) single-phase (220 or 110 doesn't really matter) takes a standard Dado set, has a good fence, and uses an easily availible zero-clearance insert. I was looking at cabinet saws, but decided that the extra $300-400 could be better applied towards good jointer and dust collector (for those of you who were going to suggest that I go one step up)

Does anyone have a link to a point-by-point comparison between the two brands, or some personal experience with these saws that you'd be willing to share? This is a big investment for me, so I want to make sure I don't get burned.

Thanks!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Good luck and happy saw hunting...this is a a fun time for you..take your time and buy the right saw for YOU...I have used and sold Delta equipment for years. I am a big fan of Delta. Delta has always impowered me to take good care of my customer. I have had 1000's of experiences with Delta and the customer was always treated fairly. I would recomend a USA made Delta contractor saw with a Beisemeyer 30" fence. This package normally sells for around $800.00. This saw, in my opinion has everything right with it for a serious home saw. The motor has plenty of power and the Beisemeyer fence is the best. This saw holds it value very well if you every decide to move up to a cabinet saw. Buy American when you can. Good luck! Mike

Reply to
aswr

There are a dozen places that list prices.

amazon.com woodcraft, etc. They will be farily close to your local dealer.

The Delta has 2 hp with the 220 volt windings.

takes a standard Dado set, has a good fence, and uses an

Most good saws will. You can easily make inserts from 1/2" MDF at a cost of about 50¢ each.

I was looking at cabinet

As a hobbiest woodworker, I agree.

I have a Delta with the Biesemeyer fence. It does everything I ask. Be sure to buy a good blade for it. I bought a 40T combo and dado from Ridge Carbide Tools. If I was buying again, knowing what I now know, I'd by the same setup. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just picked up my contractor saw last night. I did extensive research, but obviously was looking for things that fit my needs. Ended up with the Delta 36-682xl because I wanted a 50" Biesemeyer Fence. I was also considering the Jets, Powermatic, and DeWalt (briefly). A sales rep at my local Woodcraft spent about 30 minutes discussing the pro and cons of the different manufacturers and models. He said the big difference between the Deltas and the others is the motor, which have 2 capacitors and are made in the US.

Came real close to pulling the trigger on a General, but there are no local dealers so I couldn't look at one in the flesh and the shipping costs steered me away. Third was a Powermatic on amazon.com, but after seeing their fences, just felt better with the Biesemeyer.

I still have a spreadsheet put together that compares the pros and cons I was contemplating, as well as where I could get the best prices online, although I did end up buying mine from the local Woodcraft. Email me and I'll send you a copy if you want it.

Reply to
Woodchuck34

is a good shopping bot.

Reply to
Woodchuck34

Interesting that you mentioned not having a General dealer in your area. I was in Clearwater, Florida a couple of days ago and noticed that the Woodcraft there carries General.

I have had my Jet contractor's saw for a few years and, after putting a link belt on it, have found it to be a dandy. I am saving my nickels and dimes for a Mule fence for it. They make a router fence that attaches to their table saw fence and, since I have my router in the right extension of my table saw That sounds like a pretty good setup.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Olebiker

It is probabally more than you want to spend, but.... I am a hobbyist that has had a craftsman 10 contractors saw since 94. (IMO Great saw, gave it to my dad and still use it regularly) I wanted to upgrade to a saw that has better dust collection and looked at the hybrid saws. Once I was in the $800 range, I figured that if i wanted to upgrade to a better saw again, I may only get $400 for the saw. That being said, I am going to loose $400 now or later. I decided to jump in and make this my last table saw purchase and got a Delta Unisaw from a local woodworking shop for $1249.00 (Buy once and cry once as quoted many times). My wife helped me over the edge for my Christmas gift. I picked it up the day after Christmas and ironically did not have power at my house for 4 more days.

Once I finally got to turn it on all regrets and worries went away. I love it.

Reply to
Rick Cox

woodworking shop

I did roughly the same thing. found a PM66 with about 10 pretty decent blades, a 8x8 outfeed table and a large sled. Got mine from a small local guy that made cabinets (he was getting out of private business after a heart attack). I payed 1100 and he threw in a PC lam trimmer. Bang for your buck this could not be beat. given the saw came with so many extras it would have cost me nearly a $500 more if I had bought the blades, sled and table seperately. W

Reply to
hikinandbikin

Call "Woodcraft" they'll give you all the prices you want. Don't over look General International.

KK

Reply to
Ken

I spent a good amount of time comparing Grizzly, Delta, Jet and other contractor grade table saws. I wanted to spend about what you're considering. For me, it came down to the Grizzly G0576 and the Delta

36-681. The price for the two is within $50. I decided on the Grizzly becuase it included two cast iron wings, is left tilt and has a 2hp motor.

I've had this saw for a couple months and am very pleased with it's performance. The Delta has in it's favor the Unifence, which is better than the Shop Fox Alumiclassic. I was however, pleasantly surprised at the performance of the shop fox fence. It really does work well. The way I see it, I've got a great saw for the money!

Enjoy picking your saw!

--Mike

Reply to
Mike C

I generally do make an effort to buy American, but I was under the impression that Delta had moved most or all of thier manufacturing to Asia. Which models are still made in the US?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I did actually make it into the local dealer, and it looks like they've got a price that is essentially identical to the comparable Grizzly, with the same features. The only things I was a little leery of were the plastic locking knobs on the adjustment handles, and a slightly rough edge on the cast iron table. So far, it's looking like Delta is probably going to win simply because I can go and get the thing and don't have to take a day off from work to wait for a truck driver to deliver it.

So neither brand uses a proprietary set of accessories? I was a little worried about Delta's trick of using odd sizes on their shopmaster line.

I should be ok on that front- I've got a 60T Freud Industrial with the triple-chip toothset and an 80T Freud Diablo on my current saws, and I don't intend to every buy a cheap blade again, after seeing the difference. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I really did consider this option very carefully, but I did have an opportunity to try out a pair of Unisaws in a shop, and I honestly did not see that they were $400-800 better than a contractor-style saw. That isn't to say that they aren't really nice- but I'm not depending on this particular saw to make my living, and I think I can retrofit a dust-collection system for it that will add some of the lost weight and work almost as well as a factory-made cabinet.

The issue isn't the money- if all I wanted was the saw, I could get the Unisaw, or even one of the 5hp Grizzlies by the end of the summer- but there are several other big hunks of metal I'd like to get as well, where going a step up may be more noticable than it is with the saw. (An 8" jointer as opposed to a 6", for instance- considering most of the stock I buy is 7.5"-8" wide, it's going to make a whole lot more sense for me to put some of that table saw money into the jointer upgrade.)

Ahh, the joy of calculating opportunity costs....

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Now here's something I've been mulling over a little. I haven't broken many parts on any of my tools, but the few that have broken have always been cast iron- I've never had a steel part fail, whether it is machined or stamped. It seems like maybe cast iron isn't all it's cracked up to be- why is it always considered such an upgrade? You can't fix it without a special welder and some really excellent welding skills- and even then it usually doesn't work. Steel, OTHO, you can just weld back together and grind flat.

This isn't *just* a gripe about cast iron- there are probably some things that I am not aware when it comes to the material. It just always seems to be the component that fails. Anyone have any thoughts on why cast parts are superior?

How was your delivery experience with Grizzly? That's the main downside I see to their company, but it may be a useless concern.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

The cabinet saw is the choice for cutting 12/4 maple all day long. Since I don't, I opted for the con tractor's saw.

Delta has (or had?) an accessory to help with dust collection, but I cannot find it on their web page. It is a molded plastic bottom with outlet for a

4" hose. It is easiest installed when assembling the saw so check it out when you buy.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Prometheus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The local dealer can be an even better deal, when something isn't clear, or hasn't been packed with the shipment, or similar. And shipping damage, if it were to happen, is generally speaking, someone else's problem.

What I liked was being able to touch the tools, and look at the build quality. And to schedule the whole 'bringing it home' thing.

BTW, it takes three neighbors and a portable engine hoist to get a Unisaw out of the back of a GMC halfton pickup bed safely. And everybody got to play with the new toys.

Have fun with your new tools.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

No.. Unisaws are still built here but the parts "might" be from "other" places...

Of course that's subject to change within 24 hours.

Prometheus wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

You make some good points about the cast extension wings. Personally I went with cast wings because they're heavier (less vibration) and make for a nice flat surface. I'm not too worried about damaging them.

The delivery experience wasn't bad at all. I had the saw in just 4 days. How log it takes of course depends on your location in relation to one of their warehouses. The saw was pretty easy to get off the truck, and the driver did help out contrary to what they told me. It would have been easier if the truck had a ramp, but these guys usually deliver to businesses with loading docks. If you go this route (or order anything freight), you definitely want a buddy there to help and want to note any damage to the boxes on the delivery slip.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike C