Anyone got a Grizzly G0690/G0691?

If anyone here's bought one of these new saws, I'd be interested in their opinion. Price point looks compelling for a riving knife cabinet saw, and their other cabinet saws have reviewed well...

Thanks.

Reply to
Anon

I looked seriously at them a few weeks ago, but Amazon had the Unisaw w/50" Biesemeyer fence for 100$ more than the G0691. SWMBO didn't object too much, soo... It's still sitting in the garage on the pallet (have to add a sub panel and 220V circuit first).

Reply to
krw

FYI, you suck.

C> > >If anyone here's bought one of these new saws, I'd be interested in thei= r

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Grizzly will give you the names of any local owners, for you to see the saw (with the owner's permission, of course).

Fine Woodworking compared new table saws with riving knives, and included the G0651 (not the G0690/1).

it appears the G0690/1 has quick release for the riving knife and blade guard.

Here's a link to the Grizzly manual that describes the saw:

on what the article used for criteria, I think it would have rated the newer Grizzlies "very good" the riving knife setup and switch-out simplicity.

The blade guard on the G0650/1 was rated "good" and "user friendly", but the guard on the G0690/1 looks to be different. I'd rate the blade guard on my G1023 as "fair", the new one looks better from the photos.

The motor is a Leeson, which is a good thing IMO.

Here's some chatter on a forum from someone who has one.

comments from the Grizzly Pres on some questions that were asked:

Jim Weisgram

I posted a couple of weeks ago a request for opinions from anyone who had seen both these and the other "new" (some months older) 0651 saw with riving knife. I pointed out that the 691 is made in China while the 651 is from Taiwan, and nobody has responded to anything but the general perceptions of quality from those sources. I get the impression nobody has seen the 690/691 even in Grizzly stores! I have spent a lot of hours looking closely at the manuals and the parts diagrams for these saws, and am thinking seriously of ordering the 691. But one thing that does bother me is that the 690/691 are stated to draw much less current than other saws also called 3Hp saws. Manufacturers (notably Sears!) lie a lot about horsepower, but there are still the underlying rules of physics that say a real horsepower requires so many watts, so, allowing for inefficiencies, a saw that really deserves to be called 3Hp has to draw at least that much electrical power. I find it hard to believe the 690/691 have motors that are really more than 20% more efficient than other 3Hp saws... Looking closely at the specs and the pictures in the manuals (available online from Grizzly), the 690/691 do have some of the highly touted features of the new Delta cabinet saws. For example, the blade is set further back so there is much more room on the table in front of it. The 690/691 (but not the 651) have gears that help move the riving knife or the guard up and down, so it does not just follow the arbor: Since the riving knife is farther from the pivot point, without that gearing the knife would move up and down faster than the blade. So that looks like another good point to the

690/691. Like the new Delta, the actual cast iron table is narrower than previous saws but the difference is made up in the extensions. But I would like to get more data, and so far nobody seems to have any! Bob Wilson "Anon" wrote in message news:JVevl.313$6%. snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
Reply to
Robert L Wilson