Anyone familiar with this router?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:36:09 GMT, "David"

It's no doubt a Chinese import which should be good to help you break into router use. I'm still using an old B&D 1/4" arbored beast and it works well for me with my limited usage.
I bought a set of those same bits at BigLots for $12.99 and they're decent C2 carbide. I doubt the bearings will last too long, but what the heck?
Get one and when (or if) you decide to upgrade, you'll have a unit to fall back on or set up for secondary processes. When it dies, you won't be out much money, but some of these cheapo Chiwanese tools last forever.
$60 is a better deal than Harbor Fright's $80 model, and that one comes -without- bits.
See http://www.littlemachineshop.com/photos/lmsphotos.php for a look inside one of these Chinese factories where the Sieg mini-mills are made.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

Harbor Freight is a step down from Ryobi, but it also usually represents a decent buy. My Homier clamps broke the first time I used them. My HF clamps have been used many times; they are very clumsy, but at least they work. My guess is that you won't like the HF router, but it will work for you.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:36:09 GMT, "David"

it's a generic chinese router. the reviews are mostly bad. if you're going to get this kind of equipment, get it from harbor freight. it'll be cheaper and you do have some sort of recourse....
I think the other posters have given you the scoop on this router, but just remember, cheap is cheap. You pays your money and takes your chances.
Now, if you are not offended by the larger size, (3hp?) and intend to use this as a dedicated unit in a router table, you might want to consider the Hitachi M12V, a variable speed 15 amp motor unit. My buddy has one and swears by it. Amazon/Tool Crib online has them for about $160 or so, which in the 3hp range is really reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemC14259283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT