anyone ever make a mountain dulcimer?

Page 2 of 2
Visit http://dulcimerden.net / It has lots of pictures and information about dulcimers.
Dick
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:31:36 -0500, Silvan

If you've never made an instrument before, you might want to consider a dulcimer kit.
--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Nah. Building a wood project from a kit is like doing a paint by numbers set. The result might be pretty, but it ain't art at the end.
Wed, Dec 15, 2004, 10:21am snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: Nah. Building a wood project from a kit is like doing a paint by numbers set. The result might be pretty, but it ain't art at the end.
Eh, sometimes a kit will get you thru some of the first time puzzles; but, I wouldn't get a dulcimer kit. Besides being simple to build, I think most, if not all, the kits are waaay overpriced.
JOAT We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. - unknown

Have you seen <http://www.diynet.com/diy/hb_musical_instruments/article/0,2033,DIY_1388 1_2944780,00.html>?
--
Hank Gillette

Hank Gillette wrote:

I have now. Thanks.
Check out this place:
http://www.folkcraft.com / and go to the Dulcimer Builder's Supply page
You can get the wood you need - either in kits or rectangular pieces palned to thickness. You should DEFINATELY get a pre cut Fret board - the formula for the measurements of the frets is pretty exact, and the boards come slotted to accept fret wire
Give them a call (or email) and tell them what you want to do, - they'll answer your questions and fix you up.
JD
snipped-for-privacy@jazzy.org wrote:

Not worried about the planing, but...

...a pre-cut fretboard seems like it might just be worth the bother. I've got a chart right here telling me just where they need to go, but I have no idea how to measure to four decimal places across 26" or whatever I pick for the scale length. Seems like some real good opportunities to screw the pooch on that deal.

I'll check'em out. Getting excited about this whole idea. I was going to make another chess box, but I probably would have made another chess box long before now if I REALLLY wanted one. I've just been looking for something to do I guess. This seems like it.
Although any desire I have to do stuff is greatly tempered by the 40 pounds of medical bills I know will soon begin to flow into my mailbox. <sigh>
Nothing like the feeling of taking wood and making it into a musical instrument.
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:45:30 -0500, Silvan

Wasn't the old rule of thumb the "Rule of 17?"
The distance to the next fret is 1/17th the remaining distance down the neck?
Seems you could make slide-rule device with a logarithmic scale to calculate that measure directly.
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles wrote:

pieces
the
bother. I've

have no

pick
screw the

the
Pre slotted fret boards are cheap enough - and they're perfectly slotted for both fretwire and nuts. Better to spend your time on nice inlays for the fret board.
snipped-for-privacy@jazzy.org wrote:

How many crafstman points would I lose for using a canned fret board? They really are quite cheap, seems to me. I forget what it added up to, but pre-cut with frets installed and everything was less than $20, I think. It would save a lot of fiddly work that sounds easy to screw up.
I don't remember if they offered options though. I'd want a full chromatic scale. Playing Dad's dulcimer drives me nuts because of all the missing frets.

"Larry" <LVenickATcomcastDOTnet> wrote:

I'm not actually so much worried about square as getting them in just the right spot.

I don't think so, would I? I haven't paid that much attention to the scale on Dad's, but I think it's a diatonic instrument. So it has a ti as well as everything else in a normal major scale, but you can't play any accidentals on it.
Anyway, so I seem to have one vote for "we'll still respect you in the morning if you cheat on the frets." Do I hear a second? :)

"Larry" <LVenickATcomcastDOTnet> wrote:

Huh? I could make lots of perfectly square cuts at random places down the fretboard, and it wouldn't play music very well. Cutting perpendicular to the length is easy. Placing the cuts in the right spots is another matter entirely.
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles wrote:

Dunno. Seems plausible.

'Cept I'm one o' them newfangled whippersnappers and I don't have the foggiest clue how to use a slide rule, or what a logarithmic is. :)
Have you done a web search? Lots of books and other resources on this
Silvan wrote:

tzipple wrote:

I have since, and yes, I've got more resources than I can shake a stick at.
I also found and bought a book about making hammered dulcimers too. At a grand to buy a decent one, it seems like maybe I ought to give it a crack after all.
Heck, if I could make these things I might even sell one once in awhile.
Think I might try a bowed psaltry too. Been wanting one of those for years, but too cheap to pay for one. Think SWMBO would let me have her hair to make a bow? :)
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:45:37 -0500, Silvan

She might consider it a very romantic gesture. And a psaltry is even easier to make (and play) than a mountain dulcimer.
BTW: Do you know that the mountain dulcimer and the highland/Irish bagpipes are the only instruments tuned in parallel 5ths? Explains why "Amazing Grace" works so well on the pipes.