Anyone else notice this problem at Lee Valley tools

Page 2 of 2

at
price
Oops -
Forgot to answer the plane point too - the edge trimming block plane is by far and away our least competitively priced plane ....so much so that a few months ago I asked our R&D department to redesign/remanufacture it - using ductile iron instead of bronze, and with a goal of improving the ergonomics/performance, and lowering the retail price by at least 1/3. We have other planes/products on the go right now which make this a lower priority though.
Cheers -
Rob
Sir,
I purchased your DVD this year on sharpening tools and want to thank you for an inexpensive and excellent tutorial. I used your techniques to sharpen my first set of chisels and was very happy that with only a little elbow grease and a couple of inexpensive water stones I could get a razor sharp edge. I used them to chisel out parts of my oak flooring this summer for a renovation in my home and hope to use them for some real woodworking this winter. You have a wonderful store,website and catalogue, which my Father-in-law drools over, and I hope you keep up the excellent work. You have some of the best products around. Thank you.
From a newbie woodworker in Edmonton,
John V.

it's
that
mathematical
sells
I'll
few
John -
Thanks for the compliment - I'll pass a copy of your post to Leonard Lee, so he can see your comments about the video! I'll also mention that you're lucky to have, in Edmonton, one of the first 10 or so non-family employees...Linda, who manages the store!
Cheers -
Rob Lee

But
Canadian
by
using
We

John, thanks for posting this. I have had little dealing with Lee Valley, but reading the surrounding posts re their customer service (and the need to understand sharpening) prompted me to order this DVD. I suppose it's too much to hope for that there's any risque Canadian action in it, eh?
On 18 Dec 2003 12:22:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Guppas!) wrote:

Like the hockey player strip tease at the end of "Slapshot"? <G>
I know it's an old movie! I've got season tickets to the American League, so I watch the movie every year.
Barry
I think LL does say "eh" once or twice....but we made sure there were no Tim H cups in sight.....
G'day -
Rob

for
sharpen my

grease
. . .

Risq eh :) Nope, Mr. Lee himself does the video presentation for the DVDf rom his home. He is Polite and matter of fact throughout. Shows you what you need to know without any hoopla. I enjoyed the content. Hard to dismiss good teaching. Makes it look easy and that's why I liked it. I was able to directly go to my tools and replicate what I saw without any muss or fuss. Of course it did help that I already had the Veritas Sharpening system. ;) I dont have a turning lathe as of yet but the section on turning knives really made it look easy to maintain your stuff.
John

for
sharpen my

grease
. . .

I also want to say that our local store is staffed with knowledgeable people, who work with most of the tools they sell. This is a bonus if you are new to the Woodworking hobby. I have purchased many items from this store, mostly for my father in law, and have not had any problems to report. When I purchased the Lee Vally push mower this summer the salesman took it apart and showed me how to set it up and demonstrated how to sharpen the turning blades. Now that's service!!! Not something you get at HD or House of tools. I have no affiliation with this company by the way, just a very satisfied customer. They hold woodworking seminars throughout the year and give excellent advice. One sale person even gave me the name of a local customer who sells lumber at lower cost than most of the Shops around here.
John

for
sharpen my

grease