Anyone else notice the nice dovetails on the Pope's Coffin?

Given the usual way of such things in Italy, it's a tiny back-street firm that has done this job for generations. They charge for it, but only a modest amount. Then they have as much trade as they could want from other people, "because it was good enough for Il Papa"
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:24:18 -0600, "Joe Wilding"

    As a matter of fact, I touched on that very fact while my housemate and I were having a fine dinner at Outback Steakhouse last night. I was also interested to see that it was NOT FAS Oak used for the outer coffin. I liked the fact that it looked more like #1 common or so...the knots, etc, made for a more interesting appearance.     If I had a quibble, it would be that I might have been inclinded to vary the size of the dovetails a bit...perhaps widest at the top, and, shrinking a bit as they got to the bottom     but...hey...I'm Lutheran (*smile*)     As for his policies...I have to say that I, too, hold a great deal of respect for him. Although there were a number of areas where he held onto reactionary views that were not all that appealing, he did a great deal to help bring Peace to the world and to spread the idea of the Universal Community.     I can only hope that the NEXT Pope will be as good for the world and the church as John Paul... and my prayers go out to the Cardinals that have begun to wrestle with that decision. I hope they choose wisely.     Regards     Dave Mundt
Dave Mundt wrote:

I didn't get a close look and thought it was a simple alternating board design. Did notice the knots though. Altogether it was elegant by virtue of its modesty, like JP II himself.
--

FF

Joe Wilding wrote:

Does anyone have a URL for a photograph of the coffin?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3305285/?GT1d28
Ain't Google great?
News reports seem to say cypress, but it sure looks like pine.
Steve