Anyone else notice the nice dovetails on the Pope's Coffin?

Page 1 of 3

Relatively simple design, but very nice looking. I heard on the radio this morning it is made of Cypress. It is installed in a zinc container, and that inside another walnut case. I am curious to see the details on that, although it may be very modest too.
The Pope was truly a great man, as evidenced by the turnout and attention given to him this week and at his funeral.
I commented on that this morning to my wife and she berated me for never thinking about anything but woodworking. Oh well. It really was a nice, simple yet elegant approach that I thought fitted the ideals that the Pope represented.
Mike

this
that

Noticed them also. Simple design with the nice taper. I bet someone took a lot of pride in doing that job.
My wife had it on in the bedroom. She said it was just like being in church. I woke her up too late to see the beginning and I was asleep most of the time.
I did!!!!
I thought it was odd that the tails were on the end. The tapered sides would make execution a bit more of a challenge.
I thought the simplicity of the box sent a nice message.
-Steve (Not a catholic)

this
that
Stephen M wrote:

Same here. Nice!
Barry

Nice DT's, but it looked like a polyurethane finish to me. The shiny plastic look was ... unfortunate.
Pounds on Wood wrote:

It looked to me like a lacquer piano finish.
Barry
Stephen M wrote:

sides would

On something like a hope chest the tails are on the long sides, front and back, because if there are handles they are on the short sides (the ends). The dovetails keep the ends from pulling out as the chest is lifted. On a coffin or casket, the handles are on the long sides so it makes sense to put the tails on the short sides (the ends). This would also help if the taper was accomplished by bending the wood a bit.
--

FF

this
that
Noticed them too.
Even though I'm not Catholic everyone has to respect him for always standing up for what is right and not being afraid to express it. He provided great leadership and guidance for the world.
I retired from TWA, we would configured one of our aircraft specially for him on various accessions for his Papal Journeys about the world. It was a great honor to be selected to serve him.
He will be a tough legend to follow.
Don Dando

this
that
Joe Wilding wrote:

I just KNEW that someone was going to comment here. I mentioned it to LOML and sorta like Mike in Mystic's SWMBO, her eyes rolled back into her head and she walked off with a sigh. Anybody here thought about making their own coffin?     grimace,     jo4hn

Yes, I have. I've thought about designing it as a curio cabinet for use now, take out the shelves and put me in when the time comes. Seems silly to spend a lot of money on a box that goes into the ground never to be seen again. Cremation is a better option so I may just make an urn or box of some sort. Ed
wrote in message

Just in time ... I needed a good laugh! Thanks.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My thought exactly. But expressing it would probably piss off a lot of people who buy very expensive coffins. I'll bet if you made your own coffin (for someone else) and checked the funeral home costs, you would find that they charged you for making the coffin. Coffin supply/making is pretty much sewn up, er, is that bottled up?
George E. Cawthon wrote:

FWIW, my mother asked me to have her cremated and bury her in a cardboard box to do the mortician out of his pound of flesh. I really didn't have the stomach to explain to her sister or her friends why I did that--went with the cheapest urn they had instead. If I'd thought about it I'd have used one of her vases, but I wasn't thinking too clearly at the time.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Mom has the cremated remains of a couple of her pets. When she goes she said just mix her ashes up with theirs and sprinkle them around the yard.
On a related note, wife and I were at the Tucson home and garden show yesterday and one of the local mortuary/cemetaries was there drumming up business. We inquired as to the price of cremation and they said it they simply round up your carcass and light the fire, it's $2500. If you want a service, with rented coffin, etc. it can go $5000!
But our money isn't worth anything anymore. I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff last month. (Too much hand sanding and finish rubbing, to keep it on topic).
The bills are starting to come in. I entered the hospital at 5:30 AM to fill out paperwork and wait. At 7:30 they wheeled me into the OR. Surgery lasted 2 1/2 hours and I was awake enough to get wheeled out to my car by noon.
Had I not had insurance, such as it is, with a negotiated rate, the total charges, not including the surgeon or the PT I'm currently going through) were over $19,000. It was over five big ones just for "sterile supplies". That's a lot of band-aids.
I also noticed. The varnish was also excellent.
I have every intention of making my own pine box. Is it creepy to go ahead and make my wife's as well?
SteveP.

Only if you don't tell her, and she had no short range usage plans...

I've made a few cremation caskets. Stopped doing it now - every time I finished one, another relative died.