Anyone else here hone their jointer blades after replacement?

Page 2 of 3

the disadvantage of this is that the only thing keeping the grind consistent is stroke count and your subjective "feel" of how hard you're leaning into it. if you're careful you can do OK, but after a short few times you'd better pull the blades, sharpen properly and reset them.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs said:

Yup, that's what I do. That's why I said sweeten, not hone or sharpen... I left out the other parts for brevity - imagine that...
Thanks,
Greg G.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

The main "trick" is to be sure that the cut is VERY, VERY light.
Dave
So it dulls it as little as posible.

CW wrote:

funny, but untrue.
They pass the "nick fingernail" test and they cut wood (oak and maple) superbly.
Just because YOU can't hone jointer blades correctly doesn't mean others can't.
Dave
True.

David wrote:

I took a look at the 54A manual that's on-line at Powermatic's web site and it states:
1. Disconnect the machine from the power source.
2. Remove the blade guard and belt cover.
3. To protect the infeed table from scratches, partially cover the sharpening stone with paper (Figure 47).
4. Lay the stone on the infeed table.
5. Lower the infeed table and turn the cutterhead by turning the cutterhead pulley. The infeed table height is set properly when the stone's surface is flush with the knife bevel.
6. Keep the cutterhead from rotating by grasping the cutterhead pulley while sliding <------- the stone back and forth across the table.
7. Take the same amount of passes for all three blades."
Nowhere that I can find does it mention honing the blades with the jointer running.
The manual can be found at:
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/partfiles/m_1791279DX.pdf
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

THEY CHANGED THE INSTRUCTIONS!! I'VE GOT THE MANUAL IN FRONT OF ME AND IT STATES ON PAGE 14, STEP NUMBER 4, TURN THE MACHINE ON.
there is a picture showing a block of wood held by a clamp.
SO THERE!!!
Nice try, and thanks for playing
i can scan the entire page and put it on the binaries if you'd like!
Dave

He is back only a matter of time I guess. Relax
joey wrote:

Joey, I'm relaxed. Perhaps a smiley would have helped convey the tone better!!
Dave

Dude lose the caps BTW my 54A instructions had the same stoning recommendation I decided it was not a proceedure for me. I have resharpened my blades once and reset with a dial indicator to bout 1-2 thou. The faced and jointed results are excellant. Results rule Joey
joey wrote:

actually, the procedure produces excellent results. perfectly aligned blades and SHARP (I couldn't end this w/o some CAPS for you)
Dave
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

that date of my manual is 06/01
some idiot probably hurt himself, so they changed the instructions.
they work for me...
Dave
David wrote:

I agree.
The fact that Powermatic changed the manual might be a hint.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

I posted the page on the binaries. check it out! :)
dave
David wrote:

Dave, they method you describe is what we did at a tech college in the 1960-1970s era. There was a specific jig to hold the stone although I have seen it done just holding the stone freehand on the outfeed table.
There are safety concerns in doing this, for us it was done at least weekly by the same person.
The new instruction mentioned in other posts suggest that somebody had a nasty accident.
Dave, my 54A's manual says the same thing. It's scary, no? Plus you've got to be sure your stone is flat.If you're diligent about knife setting, the "honing" isn't necessary. Besides, it scratches up the outfeed table. You wouldn't live in the Bay Area by any chance, would you? Tom
tom wrote:

Tom,
the first time I tried it, I had sweaty palms! :)
The second time I honed, I was more calm about the whole thing.
Yeah, San Jose. (The land of way overpriced lumber)
I wanted to ask DMT if their stones were up for this sort of thing, but they never got back to me. I'd expect that wouldn't be a good idea (for the DMT stone, that is).
Dave

I agree with Chris ,so what is the point of the bevel on the blades. The more this procedure is performed the more screwed up the blade geometry becomes .......mjh
True.