Anybody Using Plyboo/Bamboo Plywood?

Page 1 of 2
I'm getting ready to build a cabinet and vanity for our bathroom(s) remodel and was looking at a plywood list from the local supplier. I saw some sheet products from this company... http://www.kireiusa.com /
It includes, among many other unorthodox materials, bamboo laminated plywood and it's all very stunning to look at. They do some sort of carbonizing coloring process for the bamboo that produces the same color throughout and it's my understanding that some of these products do not require any finishing.
I'm very interested in using some of these cool materials and was wondering if anyone in here has any real, practical experience with it. Please save the rumors and friend and a friend of a sister-in-law stories. I'm only interested to heat from people who have hands-on experience. Thank you.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

My only experience with bamboo laminated sheet goods was in the countertop business. That was, in all fairness, quite a few years ago (10-12). The stuff stretched and contracted like a frikkin' Slinky™. A countertop of just over 9 ft, pulled away from the wall by a solid 1/2" and along the back splash anywhere from 1/4' to 5/8". At that time, they were all having those types of problems. I do see them back in showrooms again, so maybe that problem has been solved. (Unless it is for islands only) Other than that, I would not dare to fabricate any casework from it. I would use it to make doors (overlay only) because the stuff is some pretty. I would leave myself quite a bit of room (gappage).
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/16/12 2:29 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Thanks for the info, Rob! Was the stuff you used solid or did it have several plies?
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
Here's a pic of the Plyboo I got.
http://www.mikedrums.com/bamboo_on_saw.jpg
Expensive stuff but man is it gorgeous. Cuts like butta and smells great. Soon to be cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and cabinet sides.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
How thick is the veneer? What's the substrate like?
On 6/30/2012 6:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/30/12 5:32 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I knew these questions would come up :-).....
http://www.mikedrums.com/plyboo_edge_2.jpg
It's all solid bamboo, 3 plies- top/bottom layers are 4mm, middle is 11mm.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
Wow thats thick veneer. It looks nice. How much was a 4x8 sheet. I think you told us a while back, but the mind is not what it used to be...
On 6/30/2012 6:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/30/12 7:27 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

It goes for around $200+ on the internet, plus shipping which can easily top 100 bucks. Locally, at least $300 if you can find it in stock. Special orders will be that much plus freight.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

Indeed, it's beautiful stuff. I looked on the Internet. It seems there is a company that sells it for about $200 in Atlanta. I wonder if kitchen or flooring places can get it? How does it glue? IIRC, bamboo floring calls for a special (expensive) glue.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/30/12 8:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I was considering driving to Atlanta to get it, but not only was this "chocolate" not in stock anywhere, I ended up getting mine shipped for less than gas for a trip to Atl.
The data sheets all say it glues fine with regular wood glues.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

I'm in the (slow) process of moving to the SW Atlanta area. One of the advantages is the proximity to the toy stores. ;-)

Nice! Thanks. The stuff, particularly the 3/4", is pricey but it is beautiful. I may play with some of the 1/4" for panels first.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow! 4mm thick outer plies. That's just awesome! I'd be happy to have 1mm thick plies on the stuff they sell now. (If I want appearance grade plywood, I think next time I'll cut my own veneers. Hope my ambition does not outweigh my skill!)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
On 6/30/12 7:29 PM, WW wrote:

It's supposed to stain just like wood. This isn't actually stained. It's a process some call "carbonization" that gives a uniform color throughout the entire depth of the bamboo. I suspect it may be some sort of baking treatment that darkens it.
I'm looking to use a topcoat that will darken the darker area even more and be a natural looking finish, satin at most. I'm considering that Old Masters gel polyurethane that Leon uses, or good old shellac. Suggestion are welcome.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

How heavy is that stuff compared to a sheet of regular plywood? Bamboo is pretty light isn't it?
βœ–
On 6/30/12 8:54 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

First of all, get back over on Facebook. This was for all the dial-up-ers. :-)
Secondly, it's pretty heavy. I think it's lighter than birch 7 ply, but not by much. One noticeable thing is how rigid it is. There's hardly any deflection at all... some lengthwise and none noticeable width wise. Probably due to the orientation of the middle ply.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 6/30/2012 9:19 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/30/2012 5:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

That is nice looking stuff Mike, , , but how well so you expect paint to stick to it? ;~)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 7/1/12 8:46 AM, Leon wrote:

That was beautiful.
(we want it to have a natural cherry finish... so we're painting it maroon.)
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 7/1/2012 11:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote: